Fourtitude.com - How do you take care of your mental health?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    1. 05-27-2011 02:07 PM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by Chilledman View Post
      Watch less of any news channel

Since all the do is put out doom and gloom .

Other then that ? no clue ,
      I have to say that my life got much better when I stopped watching the news.

If economic collapse occurs, or a nuke goes off, or we run out of oil - there is nothing I can do about it.

You just have to roll with the punches.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 05-27-2011 04:07 PM #77
      I think that's the case whether you watch the news or not. And I think a lot of the people who get super stressed out and start to fall apart mentally are the people who are so rigid that the second things go different from what they expected, they start to short-circuit. It's unhealthy.

Working out is mentally calming because I'm not thinking about work or whatever, I'm thinking about getting in a good workout. I also think a very important factor, at least for me, is the company I keep and the friends I hang out with. There are certain people who I used to hang out with that just weren't anything but drains and I'm so much better off without that nonsense anymore.

4. 05-27-2011 06:30 PM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by SpiffyGTI View Post
      rigid
      This is the most important word anyone with mental health issues needs to focus on. Rigidity and Intensity are the two defining characteristic of pretty much all the suffering in the world...

If you do nothing else, try to notice when you are being rigid or intense and explore it, think about it, analyze it, then when it happens again do it again. You'll find that your rigidity and intensity do not help you be happy. they might help you create drama, which you may enjoy...but that is all.

5. 05-28-2011 01:13 AM #79
      smoke weed

Cars
      ...stopped keeping track
      05-29-2011 07:59 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by tweezy! View Post
      smoke weed
      x2 here
      Quote Originally Posted by skin1488760
      i am a ****ing racist!

SCAMMER skin1488760 Christopher Heiser Escondido Ca951-756-5977 .https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...4-looks-SO-CALhttps://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...e-intake-socal

05-29-2011 09:16 PM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack View Post
      I just try to get as much sex as possible.
      Don't we all?
      2019 Toyota Tacoma
      2015 Triumph Street Triple
      2019 Honda Super Cub

8. 05-30-2011 07:40 PM #82
      smoke weed
      This does have a tendency to reduce rigidity and intensity...too bad it usually just confuses me...otherwise id be a smoker.

9. 05-31-2011 08:37 AM #83
      smoke weed
      And the fact that smoking weed actually leads to depression is something to keep in mind.
      Last edited by snohobo; 05-31-2011 at 08:40 AM.

10. 05-31-2011 08:48 AM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by snohobo View Post
      And the fact that smoking weed actually leads to depression is something to keep in mind.
      That is quite a generalization, especially considering how difficult research is to do on it because of it's being a schedule 1 drug. There are studies that say coffee causes cancer, but also studies that say that it prevents it...I imagine there are similar anomalies in research on cannabis.

Since there is not an abundance of research on cannabis, any specific bit of research should be taken with a grain of salt ESPECIALLY if it supports the status quo (drug war).

11. Senior Member ClockworkChad's Avatar
      Cars
      v8 s4
      05-31-2011 10:34 AM #85
      i think people tend to react to weed very differently. i think there are high functioning stoners just as much as there are high functioning alcoholics. Im not high functioning either, both make me lazy/depressed

12. 05-31-2011 11:36 AM #86
      source?

Cars
      ...stopped keeping track
      05-31-2011 03:27 PM #87
      source?
      There isnt one. Again..soon you will start to see big pharmaceutical companies pointing out some of the benefits of cannabis...things most people have known for yours. But yeah..considering you have people saying they use it for mental health as well...obviously not because it makes people depressed

i am a ****ing racist!

SCAMMER skin1488760 Christopher Heiser Escondido Ca951-756-5977 .https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...4-looks-SO-CALhttps://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...e-intake-socal

14. 05-31-2011 07:15 PM #88
      source?
      Actually I wasn't able to find one! I didn't look very hard though.

Coming from an addictive background - and having battled with alcoholism - I'm wary when others suggest drugs to combat an illness. For me it never worked - it pushed me further away from as solution.

15. 05-31-2011 07:42 PM #89
      Actually I wasn't able to find one! I didn't look very hard though.

Coming from an addictive background - and having battled with alcoholism - I'm wary when others suggest drugs to combat an illness. For me it never worked - it pushed me further away from as solution.
      It's good for mild stuff, can be REALLY bad for serious mental health issues.

Cars
      a gas guzzler and a econobox
      06-06-2011 04:22 PM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack View Post
      I just try to get as much sex as possible.
      this may work for men only...

smoke weed
      not if have to pass any drug tests

Quote Originally Posted by CTAC2003 View Post
      I think a little yeyo would be right up your rich, modeling lifestyle. If you can afford it, its a hell of a drug.
      no joda...look what it did to rick james

on a serious note,you may be suffering from anxiety or and panic attacks see a dr. a medication like
      buspar can help greatly not addictive ,and try vitamins like zinc ,magnesium,calcium ,

also next time you get blood work,have them test your testosterone level....

ask me why I know all about this........it's being doing wonders for me........
      indoctrinate through academia and media.
      why is that the ones that seek tolerance are the most intolerant.
      They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin

Cars
      LSG G7.:R, 24v Gti
      06-17-2011 07:35 PM #91
      To the OP:

I had medical induced OCD and anxiety for YEARS before I was brave enough to come out and TELL SOMEONE!!! I was just to young and naive to understand what the heck was going on. I honestly didn't know what normal was. Damn ADD pills.....

What did the doc do? Gave me another prescription... paxil or zoloft or the like. It was SUCH a relief from the past 7 years of hell that I was hooked...untill the side effects of the SSRI started kicking in. At first... I couldnt climax when having sex... at all. And then.. after a year or so, I started just taking it on the week days, and skip the weekends along with the ADD pills. Again, what a relief! I could function... and climax and NOT HAVE OCD tendencies. So I noticed a pattern. I cut the ADD pills and still took the SSRI anti depressants and things took a 180! I almost instantly had pre mature problems sexually... and things werent going right. I took a step back and said what the hell am I doing... its the meds that caused my OCD and anxiety to begin with. Taking another prescrition to combat the side effects of another drug is just a NO NO!!!!

I dropped all meds, and looked into the underlying problem. OCD and anxiety were caused by me taking my ADD prescription.. I never had them naturally. Serotonin and dopamine levels were obviously low. So I started looking into natural ways to boost the levels. After some research, low and behold.. the almighty banana boosts levels. I now eat one banana a day and I've been living about 95% OCD free!!!

Oh, and no premature problems or difficulties anymore either!!! I find it utterly amazing that the damn ADD pills and SSRI's caused ALL OF THIS.

Sry for the story.. but I had to build my credentials.

For having the balls to go public with your problems... It's the best thing I ever did. And for another Mechanical Engineering student!!!

18. Member
      Cars
      88 Turbo Coupe
      06-22-2011 03:56 PM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by vdubb24v View Post
      To the OP:

I had medical induced OCD and anxiety for YEARS before I was brave enough to come out and TELL SOMEONE!!! I was just to young and naive to understand what the heck was going on. I honestly didn't know what normal was. Damn ADD pills.....

What did the doc do? Gave me another prescription... paxil or zoloft or the like. It was SUCH a relief from the past 7 years of hell that I was hooked...untill the side effects of the SSRI started kicking in. At first... I couldnt climax when having sex... at all. And then.. after a year or so, I started just taking it on the week days, and skip the weekends along with the ADD pills. Again, what a relief! I could function... and climax and NOT HAVE OCD tendencies. So I noticed a pattern. I cut the ADD pills and still took the SSRI anti depressants and things took a 180! I almost instantly had pre mature problems sexually... and things werent going right. I took a step back and said what the hell am I doing... its the meds that caused my OCD and anxiety to begin with. Taking another prescrition to combat the side effects of another drug is just a NO NO!!!!

I dropped all meds, and looked into the underlying problem. OCD and anxiety were caused by me taking my ADD prescription.. I never had them naturally. Serotonin and dopamine levels were obviously low. So I started looking into natural ways to boost the levels. After some research, low and behold.. the almighty banana boosts levels. I now eat one banana a day and I've been living about 95% OCD free!!!

Oh, and no premature problems or difficulties anymore either!!! I find it utterly amazing that the damn ADD pills and SSRI's caused ALL OF THIS.

Sry for the story.. but I had to build my credentials.

For having the balls to go public with your problems... It's the best thing I ever did. And for another Mechanical Engineering student!!!
      Was on adderall and then switched to paxil....after reading about how hard it is to kick paxil after a while, I ditched it all. I just smoke occasionally and im okay but not great. The paxil made me feel numb to everything...instead of being super sensitive to shyt that would happen and what ppl might say I just kinda cared alot less which ment less stress. Im looking for the non prescription method myself. Ive been hitting the gym more than I used to and I think thats helping. Found this hope it helps you out http://www.marksdailyapple.com/serotonin-boosters/
      Quote Originally Posted by SLK350 View Post
      Penises have everything to do with science.

19. Member
      Cars
      88 Turbo Coupe
      06-23-2011 11:16 AM #93
      to the OP...check into 5-htp. Its a OTC anti depressant have read some positive reviews on it.
      Quote Originally Posted by SLK350 View Post
      Penises have everything to do with science.

06-27-2011 10:31 PM #94
      very interesting thread....

anyone have any suggestions for someone who eats terribly, doesnt exercise, works way too much, and lets almost everything under the sun irritate them?
      01 GTI 1.8T big turbo ghost...
      02 Jetta GLX
      VW/AUDI MASTER GUILD WRENCH

Cars
      ...stopped keeping track
      06-27-2011 11:18 PM #95
      Start by reading...read what those foods do to you and how to work diet and exercise into your day...just taking care of yourself may get rid of alot of stress.
      i am a ****ing racist!

Cars
      2002 Protege5, 2015 Fiesta ST
      06-28-2011 01:21 AM #96
      I just caught up with this thread today and there's a lot of interesting responses. As for weed, I don't smoke anything at all, the smell is horrible and wouldn't even consider it as a way to relieve stress. However, since school let out for the summer I've stopped taking Fluoxitine (sp?) and really haven't noticed the difference from when I was taking it and now, so I guess things have leveled out. I used to hate bananas but started eating them for some reason , weird. I have had a big breakout of acne though, so that's goddamn annoying and is causing me to stress out again but I don't think I'll revert back to the drugs. Hopefully when school starts back up in September I won't have to go back on the pills.

Right now on my mind is a girl I know, I've wanted to start a relation with her for the longest time but my confidence has always been in the ****ter and the acne thing isn't helping, so I'm still a bit down, but not as bad as before I suppose.
      Last edited by DzlDub; 06-28-2011 at 01:25 AM.
      Quote Originally Posted by AmericanThanks View Post
      Vwvortex is the biggest car forum so I should get atleast 100 enquiries from here. Cars means money.

23. Member
      Cars
      Z4, Cayenne S
      06-28-2011 08:28 AM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by Junk T.I. View Post
      very interesting thread....

anyone have any suggestions for someone who eats terribly, doesnt exercise, works way too much, and lets almost everything under the sun irritate them?
      Yeah, get your **** together

07-07-2011 03:39 PM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by DzlDub View Post
      Right now on my mind is a girl I know, I've wanted to start a relation with her for the longest time but my confidence has always been in the ****ter and the acne thing isn't helping, so I'm still a bit down, but not as bad as before I suppose.

As "lame" as it sounds, sometimes I'll go out an pick up a girl if I need a confidence boost. Usually before a big meeting or interview...

It sounds like you have "one-itis", and I would suggest forgetting about that girl for now... go talk with some hot strangers.

Oh, and if you followed the advice above (stop watching the news) then you have a great opener.
      x

07-07-2011 06:32 PM #99
      WALKS! i take long walks. SWIMMING. freesytle laps. girl sessions with mah girlfriends, and going to concerts. i also do church sundays that really help me ground myself. thats pretty much how im taking care of my mental health. its pretty awesome.

what i dont do is turn to alcohol or smoking. tthasss baaad
      Oh, Hai IG: @bethisloco

Cars
      2005 Ford Crown Victoria
      07-08-2011 01:08 PM #100
      There's a few times every year that I just need to get away from everything and just have a completely **** tastic day. I usually just take a drive up North and just try to avoid everything and anyone.

I think it also helps my stress levels that my car is paid off, I have more in my retirement than most 40 year olds do, and I am actually obtaining a real education after 5 years in the Navy. I think the more sound you are financially the greater your health is. There is some debt that is understandable such as a mortgage or perhaps an unexpected medical bill. However, there is no sense in trying to keep up with the Jones' buying/leasing a car every couple years, going out to dinner/bar more than once or twice a week, or just living beyond your means.

I think saving at least 10% of your gross income helps a lot. You never know when your furnace will break, your transmission grenades, or even when your buddies decide to go on a last minute vacation. Saving just helps keep the road of life from becoming a full blow road block and keeps you chugging forward.

I think it also helps getting rid of those friends that never have anything positive to say and begin surrounding yourself with people you would like to become or simply people like yourself. Not from a financial perspective, but just an educational background and values. It is extremely difficult to prove to yourself you need an education if you are surrounded by a bunch of friends that work minimum wage jobs and have no real goals in life.

As far as fitness, if everything begins piling up I just get on my bike and crank out a good 30 mile ride and just get out of town and away from my responsibilities for just a little while. A solid hour and a half away from deadlines, business, homework, and work is what everyone needs to do.

MOST IMPORTANTLY! You need to figure out how to relax. You need to find what works for you and take time off. Some people go to the cabin, others to florida, mexico, just sit on the counch and watch some tv for a couple days. This ties back into the saving money idea, because how can you take a week off and relax if you don't have the money in the bank to do so. I assure you taking time off and just charging the money onto a credit card will not contribute to lowering your stress levels.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast