VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Replacing a damaged CA license plate

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  VadGTI 
#1 ·
One of my plates was super mangled in a fairly mild rear-end accident that happened like 5 years ago.

I know that when you go to the DMV to replace your plates, you have to surrender the damaged plates. does this mean that they will issue me entirely new plates? or make me a new one of the current plate # I have?

As strange as it sounds, the plate # I have on my car right now is actually quite sentimental to me, and I'd like to keep it if possible. That being said, in CA we need to run a front plate, and a mangled front plate just looks like crap.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

#2 ·
just tell them it fell off and you need a new front plate

#3 ·
As far as I know it's $20 to replace the plates. They'll issue you a new set with new #'s and you need to surrender the old plate that has the registration tags.

#5 ·
You will pay $18 and get new plates handed to you immediately if you do it at AAA. Not sure if you'll have to wait for plates to be mailed to you if you do it at the DMV.

#7 ·
Convince an inmate at Folsom to punch out your original plates while he's making his daily ration of plates and have him sneak them out (somehow) out of prison. Voila! California plates with your original number :p.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.