VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

mystery 8v engine code

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  CrispyVW 
#1 ·
I have an engine in my caddy that I can't identify, the number is *UO 053 573* This is the number near the top of the block near the water outlet at the head. Am I just looking at the wrong number? I believe it is a 2.0 but it is slightly different than my other 3a motor. What the hell is this thing?

See less See more
#5 ·
Re: (JoggerNot)

Correct, the engine was swapped in. I was told it was a 3a but I noticed the breather port on the side of the block was a different size than what the 3a uses (the one you usuly block off with a freezeplug) I then thought it must be an ABA but the block is appears to be the same height as my other 3a sooo. What the heck is a U block?

#11 ·
Re: mystery 8v engine code (fugazi885)

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zer...99557
from europeancar: UQ Test
Back in the late '80s/early '90s, when I was in college at San Diego State University, all I wanted was a Rabbit GTI. I was driving my dad's '66 Mustang and throwing tons of money into it in an unsuccessful attempt to make it handle like a "new" car. In 1992 I finally purchased my silver 1983 GTI and loved it. I bought a Bentley manual and a Techtonics Tuning catalog and started buying what things I could afford. In 1994, I finally plugged in a brand-new, Brazilian-made 2.0L bubble block.
Then, at the beginning of this year, I was looking through the local AutoTrader, found my old GTI complete with the 2.0L and other mods still intact. I bought it back from the guy I sold it to, with the intention of swapping everything over to my newly acquired Scirocco. Life is good!
So my old 2.0L is disassembled on the garage bench and I'm going to have the components balanced before I reassemble it. I'm also working on getting oversize pistons in a 10:1 compression ratio. The engine is currently 8.5:1. And yes, I have been referring back to my old back issues to help me through the process. This is something that I've also always wanted to do--rebuild an entire engine. And I owe it all to you people who have put together VW&P/european car over the past 13 years. You guys have actually helped to make my life a whole lotta fun.

I do have a question for you that I cannot find the answer to and would really appreciate your help with:
My 2.0L engine is marked with the code "UQ." It doesn't have any VW or Audi "ring" markings on the block, but it does on the crank and rods. What car was this engine used in? Also, what are the output figures for this engine in stock form with an 8.5:1 compression ratio? And is this engine the same as the 3A that people talk about?
Theron
via the Internet

We love to hear stories like yours. Some of the younger staffers here read the magazine and took inspiration from it through school as well, so we know exactly how you feel. As for your question, we asked the parts interchange experts at Autotech where the engine code "UQ" came from, and they could find no record of it. The closest they got was "UO," for a Type-3 aircooled engine. By the time this hits the stands, you'll probably already be back to burning up the road. We're sure the smile on your face will be as big as the ones your letter put on ours.

Modified by vwpat at 7:01 PM 1-18-2010

#12 ·
I too have a UQ motor. It came in a '77 Rocco that I bought about 12 years ago. After rolling the car I removed all the goodies and now I'm going to put this motor into my '79 Scirocco that has been sitting for 20 years. Should be fun. I'm not seeing much internet traffic/discussions on this motor, so I believe it is relatively rare. Anyway just thought I'd chime in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.