Fourtitude.com - So, did you ride today? (Details!)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 339 of 339 FirstFirst ... 239289329335336337338339
    Results 8,451 to 8,465 of 8465
    1. 03-07-2019 06:58 AM #8451
      Rode up Mt. Washington over the weekend, as part of the Ski, Shoe, & Fatbike to the Clouds race. It was tough, and I did it on my Surly Wednesday with the bag and rack still on it. They stopped us shortly before the summit for the official finish, I was kind of bummed about that but it was still a fun ride!

Ride to the Clouds by Geoff Potter, on Flickr
      Fat bike ride up Mt Washington by Geoff Potter, on Flickr
      Fat bike ride up Mt Washington by Geoff Potter, on Flickr

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      Bought not built.
      03-10-2019 09:29 PM #8452
      27 miles of single track in Ocala. Tons of PRs and snagged 7th out of around 2500 on a 1.2 mile segment. This is despite being low on sleep and hydration. Guess this fake indoor biking is working. Kind of want to wear a HRM to see what my avg HR is on these rides. Definitely feel more elevated compared to riding indoors.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
      Last edited by A1an; 03-11-2019 at 07:35 AM.
      Signature.

4. 03-11-2019 12:05 AM #8453
      My first ride since August of last year so it was pretty slow and I'm really sore but the weather was right so I got in a decent distance and it got me amped to get in a lot of miles this year.

Cars
      Bought not built.
      03-18-2019 08:50 PM #8454
      Mostly paved ride out of the house yesterday. Legs were still feeling shot from some stupid rides I did on TH (1hr PZ ride mainly zones 3-5, followed by 45mim max PZ with efforts in 6-7). Today another 45 min indoor ride...went with the live DJ ride with a bunch of random intervals. Have to mix it up a bit.

Photo from Sunday.

Signature.

Cars
      Bought not built.
      03-24-2019 06:31 PM #8455
      Completed the Green Swamp Thing Tater Tot 78 mile dirty adventure ride today. Mostly double track with a little road and some grassy sections that are "trails". Some muddy sections, three water crossings (dismount and hike) and tons of deep sugar sand. Despite warnings this was better suited to MTB tires, I decided to get talked into doing this route on my CX by my very fast friend who is also on a CX.

They keep is honest by using the Barkley control method...books setup in key spots where we have to tear out the page corresponding to our race number.

8 or 9 of us signed up for this option and we roll out first. My friend is up front, followed by me, another very fast guy on a HT MTB, and a guy on a drop bar MTB. Four turn to three as we quickly open up a gap. It was pretty windy so we took turns sharing the work (roadie antics) moving at a pretty rapid pace. We hit control 1 and control 2. I finally eat something at control 2 which I believe sealed my fate. Again...fueling is a constant issue with me.

We take off into the wind sharing work and around 40 miles I couldn't even keep up to stay in the draft. Just sank back and settled into my own pace which decreased consistently the remainder of the race.

At the sixth control they had a mini sag with water and bananas. I decide to sit down, eat a banana, and get my **** together for the remaining 18 miles. My heart sinks when I see fourth place roll in. We had a HUGE gap on him but I lost all of that. I didn't have anything in me to try to reel him back in through the extremely rough single track after that control, so just settled on again and tried not to want to just crawl up in a ball in the woods and die.

Not sure what the final time gap was. I got a spike in energy around 8 miles from finish and was able to push the pace. I don't think he had more than 15 mins on me.

So learned all my fake biking has upped my game substantially. Before I could maybe hang with the top two guys for maybe 10-15. Being able to do it for 40 while sharing work at a brisk pace is huge for me.

I still don't learn from my fueling issues. I may add waypoints to my gpx to remind me to fuel.

Signature.

7. Member
      Cars
      2012 GTI
      03-25-2019 03:45 PM #8456
      Alan that is freaking rad man. Nicely done! Having fitness is fun.

I did a couple short circuit races this weekend. First time doing this type of race and man was it a ****ing blast. The course was 1.5ish miles with about 150 feet of climbing. The lap ended on a short but decently steep little climb. The Cat 5 race was super disorganized (shocking...). It pretty much blew up on lap 2 or 3. Lots of little groups, not a bigger pack I was anticipating. I think the terrain and wind were a big factor in that: it was really windy. On the last half lap 6 and all of lap 7 (last lap), I jumped up a bunch of these little groups, spending tons of energy in the process. I started around 15-20th position, tried getting up to the top 10 but the gaps in the groups made it super hard. I was probably up to 6th or 7th on the 2nd half of lap 7 but was gassed by the last climb. Ended up 13th out of I think 60. NP was 306 for 29 minutes. Super fun though. Going 22 mph at 100 or so feet per mile was a nice bonus

The 2nd race was the cat 4/5. I ended up getting to staging late and was probably 65 or so out of 75 at the begging. Fought to the middle of the pack over the first couple laps. Around 22 or 23 minutes in, the pack split and I was a few folks behind where the split occurred. It was in the worst of the windy spot. I tried to bridge but couldn't. Once that elastic snapped, game over. From then on, it was me and a few other guys screwing around for another 20 minutes.

But man, the short hard stuff - I could get used to that. Way easier to train for that than a 5 hour race. I definitely need to work on the tactical side of things. I really didn't feel my performance was a limiter, though there were some studs there, even in cat 5. But I could have been smarter and been in a better position to save energy for later.

8. Member
      Cars
      2013 Ford Focus ST3, 2015.5 Volvo V60 T5 Drive-e, 2004 BMW R1150R
      04-03-2019 08:37 PM #8457
      Quote Originally Posted by moose82 View Post
      Alan that is freaking rad man. Nicely done! Having fitness is fun.

I did a couple short circuit races this weekend. First time doing this type of race and man was it a ****ing blast. The course was 1.5ish miles with about 150 feet of climbing. The lap ended on a short but decently steep little climb. The Cat 5 race was super disorganized (shocking...). It pretty much blew up on lap 2 or 3. Lots of little groups, not a bigger pack I was anticipating. I think the terrain and wind were a big factor in that: it was really windy. On the last half lap 6 and all of lap 7 (last lap), I jumped up a bunch of these little groups, spending tons of energy in the process. I started around 15-20th position, tried getting up to the top 10 but the gaps in the groups made it super hard. I was probably up to 6th or 7th on the 2nd half of lap 7 but was gassed by the last climb. Ended up 13th out of I think 60. NP was 306 for 29 minutes. Super fun though. Going 22 mph at 100 or so feet per mile was a nice bonus

The 2nd race was the cat 4/5. I ended up getting to staging late and was probably 65 or so out of 75 at the begging. Fought to the middle of the pack over the first couple laps. Around 22 or 23 minutes in, the pack split and I was a few folks behind where the split occurred. It was in the worst of the windy spot. I tried to bridge but couldn't. Once that elastic snapped, game over. From then on, it was me and a few other guys screwing around for another 20 minutes.

But man, the short hard stuff - I could get used to that. Way easier to train for that than a 5 hour race. I definitely need to work on the tactical side of things. I really didn't feel my performance was a limiter, though there were some studs there, even in cat 5. But I could have been smarter and been in a better position to save energy for later.
      Nice! Was this the Tour de Tysons?

Can't remember if I shared this with you, but that was going to be my first cat 5 race last year. I started, got around the first corner, down the hill and on the flat I went deep into the red zone and still got spit out the back like a wet watermelon seed.

Put my tail between my legs and pulled off the course. DNF, not even a full lap. Horribly embarrassing.

Getting ready to put my bike into my car a while later I noticed something not quite right so I gave my rear wheel a spin -- it didn't even make a full revolution before it stopped. Brake was dragging badly. When I got home and uploaded my Garmin data, I saw in the minute and a half I lasted my average power, getting passed while going downhill no less, was around 400W. No wonder I popped.

Had really wanted to try it again this year, but Kur has banished me from the bike for almost two months. Am only now getting back on for zone 1 and 2 rides. Charlie B. (also injured) and I did an easy ride on the C&O canal today.

9. Member
      Cars
      2012 GTI
      04-03-2019 10:03 PM #8458
      David that’s funny/sad. Charlie mentioned you rode together today. How is your rehab going? Is it your back again?

This was Black Hills circuit race. It was a week after Tyson

10. Member
      Cars
      2013 Ford Focus ST3, 2015.5 Volvo V60 T5 Drive-e, 2004 BMW R1150R
      04-03-2019 10:37 PM #8459
      Quote Originally Posted by moose82 View Post
      David that’s funny/sad. Charlie mentioned you rode together today. How is your rehab going? Is it your back again?

This was Black Hills circuit race. It was a week after Tyson
      Gotcha. Good job on finishing in the top 25 percent!

Yeah, it's my back again. It bothered me throughout January -- couldn't finish any of my indoor workouts at full power. Came back fro a quick trip skiing out west in early February and wasn't able to stand up straight for a few days. Instead of constantly putting out fires, Kur instead shut me down for a couple of months. Still having issues, but at least can start riding outside again. Probably going to have to do months of exercises to try to get things working properly again. Don't think I'll be racing this year.

Cars
      Bought not built.
      04-07-2019 12:09 AM #8460
      Today was supposed to be day 1 of a two day bike packing trip but two bailed and the third was out due to injury. I already took Monday off so I decided to do it anyways...then decided I'd just thru ride both days in one single day.

Started at 7ish this morning from Croom. A friend decided to join but less than a mile in he had a spoke break and called it a day. So back to a solo adventure. First couple hours were great. Dirt was fast and paved connectors had limited car traffic. I'm in Inverness by 830ish. Light at the intersection turns red and I won't be able to trip it so I bear left into an Applebee's parking lot to get to the gas station for some water.

Bam. Next thing I know I hear the sickening sound of a helmet smacking the pavement and I'm on my back. Apparently there was grease from the back of the kitchen and through the lot, causing my tires to slip out from under me. Get up and check things out. Straighten bars, assess flesh wound on right arm, and notice I have an impact with crack on my helmet. Landed on my hip as well and feel like my head got rung. Head over to the gas station to clean out the wound. Pissed... but everything seems okay. I carry on.

Nothing crazy...lots of gravel and single track. Weather is heating up. I get to around the 70 mile marker and stop for water. Notice my right glove is ripped at the palm from the crash. Also notice growing discomfort in my hand and middle finger. Whatever. Going to cut out 12 miles and start the return trip.

80 miles in the wind kicks up. Start hearing thunder and the temps are dropping. Crap. I get to another trail head and spot a small kiosk where I will hunker down. I look south and it looks bad...real bad. Consult the phone radar and see a gigantic red blob maybe 10 miles south, but it's moving east and I'm going west before heading south. I luck out and miss the monsoon.

Signs of the heavy storm are all over with debris all over the paved rail trail that I'm taking south before I make a 25 mile loop west. My ass hurts...hurts bad. First ride on new saddle was not wise. I use this as an excuse to keep heading south and cut out that 25 mile double track option. Plus it's getting late and it's likely soaked from the storm.

Rail trail sucks and feels like there is no down, only up. My ass hurts. Still. Finally get to the north east border of Croom again. Stop to chug a double shot and head into the single track. The sun is sinking and I'm greeted by absolute beauty. Sun sets and I have to use my light for the last 20 or so minutes before getting back to the car where I'm greeted by more beauty...tons of fireflies.

Ended up with 135 miles. Lots of stopping to dick around taking photos, refuel, take in views, etc. Legs felt great the entire time. But my ass...ugh so much pain.

Last edited by A1an; 04-11-2019 at 08:56 PM.
      Signature.

12. 04-07-2019 11:44 AM #8461
      A1an - Nice work, enjoy your posts! My buddy runs a lot over at Croom.

Explored Buxton a bit and picked up firewood. Checked out the Buxton Powder House:

After the War of 1812 broke out in March 1812, the town voted to construct a magazine for the storage of its military supplies, which had been held in a private residence. This building was completed in 1813 by Theodore Elwell for $59, and was used to house the town supply of gunpowder, lead ball, flints, and other supplies.

Spring 2019 by Geoff Potter, on Flickr

Had a fire after the ride:

Cars
      Bought not built.
      04-07-2019 11:51 AM #8462
      Powder house is cool...but don't think that roofing material is period correct.

Some of the runners at Croom have to be out of their minds. I'll see them waaaay out in the middle of the summer little to no water. Not sure if they are stocking water I'm strategic places or something but I'm amazed by those guys/gals doing 10k plus out there in the heat.

Signature.

04-12-2019 12:39 AM #8463
      End of the road 16 miles into a 30 mile ride.

Gonna do a metric century in a few weeks. They are running it Saturday for a $100 entry fee. I am going to go do the same route on Sunday for free.

Cars
      2012 GTI 4dr DSG, 02 4Runner SR5 4x4
      04-15-2019 11:44 AM #8464
      Completed the first big "gravel" event in the Boston metro area - "The Mixtape" is a 50 mile ride touching every since type of surface - Road, singletrack, gravel, mud, OHV. Not one type of bike was perfect but almost 80% were on some type of gravel or cross bike. It was either a "casual" ride, party on wheels or "competitive" race with Strava segments as the virtual race - top segment times got you points towards total number of points from 9 segments.

For me, this was my longest ride ever so I picked my Bulls Grinder as my bike of choice. With 40c Maxxis Rambers, the bike was almost perfect for this ride till about 15 miles into it when it just became a mountain bike course on the blown out OHV and singletrack trails. Luckily I had been riding my gravel bike on singletrack but for others they were struggling with lots of people going down. My average dropped from 17 mph to 11mph during that 15 miles of hell. Rest of the ride was mostly road with one last 1 section (1.5 miles) of technical singletrack just to keep you on your toes.

Goal was to finish in 3:30, ended up at 3:37. The "racers" were completing in just under 3hrs. I definitely took some time to enjoy the ride, there was "party" stations every 10 miles with food and drinks.
      Next year will be doing it again but will use a hardtail MTB with 2.0 Ikons to take the beating on the blown out stuff but keep my speed on the road.

12 GTI 4dr DSG - APR
      02 4Runner SR5

Cars
      Ghetto35, Lifted AWD Prius
      Yesterday 08:29 AM #8465
      ^ Nice ride.

A few weeks ago, I misjudged a landing on the drop bar 29er and smashed myself into the ground. Cracked/bruised/f'ed up my ribs. They're sort of back to allowing me to take a deep breath and ride out of the saddle, but man, that recovery sucked. Combined with the really wet spring we've been having (no dry dirt!) means that my riding has been limited lately. I have done some fun gravel rides though, which is definitely where that bike should live. Just because it can go on rough singletrack doesn't mean that it wants to. I'd still like to try some lighter wheels. Because, you know, that'll make an appreciable difference when I feel tired on hills. Totally worth spending several hundred dollars on that.

A fun local thing going on is that along with some others, the main MTB group got angry at the airport for what they feel was shadily leasing some land to a quarry, and now the airport is countersuing the MTB group for using that and related land for illegal trails (even though the group has never endorsed or had anything to do with the illegal trails). Wildlife cameras have been put up on one of the trails to catch riders. Yay. And now another unrelated group is building more illegal trails somewhere else.

Page 339 of 339 FirstFirst ... 239289329335336337338339