VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Summer of Love- My 6 months in a Porsche

10K views 35 replies 27 participants last post by  butterface 
#1 ·
So last April I was debating on blowing some savings on a "dream car" and was trying to narrow it down between the 370Z, Cayman S and a few others. I landed on the Cayman S after driving one and falling in love with it, and set out on a search to find a certified used example that was in my price range (which was still really "out of my price range", but my rationale was that you only live once, and when you're young is the time to have a car like this). Thanks to a fellow TCL'er, I found a 40k mile example in Chicago that had just one previous owner, dealer maintenance records and a recent full factory Certification. I negotiated with the dealer over the phone and flew up the next week to collect it.
The drive back down and the 6 months that followed were a near-spiritual experience. Not once did the car ever falter or even require maintenance in the 7,000 miles I put on it. I took it to two autocrosses and a few road trips, and at no point did I ever regret taking the plunge.
A month ago, a job opportunity presented itself in the UK that I couldn't pass up, but as it will be a long-term assignment, it made no sense for me to keep my cars. So I sold my Si a month ago, and the Cayman just left my possession yesterday to a very nice guy who bought it sight unseen and had his friend drive it up to him. I wish him all the best, but I know I'll miss the car dearly.
If there's a purpose to my rambling, it's to encourage others who might be on the fence about buying their (realistic) dream car, because in the economic climate right now there may never be another time when a car like this can be purchased so cheaply. To put it simply, I drove it basically for free for 6 months based on what I bought and sold it for. You can't ask for a better deal than that.
Cliff's notes:
Bought Porsche
Loved it
Had to sell it due to a job opportunity abroad
Advise others to do the same
Some pictures because I heard people like those:

Both the cars in this picture are now gone, but not forgotten

At the second of two autocrosses I was able to do in it:

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Summer of Love- My 6 months in a Porsche (tampaSi)

Am I right that you wrote that funny thread here when you drove it home, some kind of craziness happened? I seem to remember the taping.

#5 ·
FV-QR

Glad it worked out for you, I'm jealous. Maybe someday....

#11 ·
Your story about moving to the UK, having to sell the P car, and the guy's friend coming to pick it up sounds familiar. It's like both angles of the Nigerian scam all in one transaction.
Congrats on the new job and enjoy the memories.

#12 ·
Re: Summer of Love- My 6 months in a Porsche (fbobberts)

Quote, originally posted by fbobberts »
Am I right that you wrote that funny thread here when you drove it home, some kind of craziness happened? I seem to remember the taping.

Hmm, nothing too crazy happened. Right about 5 miles from home on the return journey, I had a tire blow out and had to have it towed to the dealer. Otherwise it was smooth sailing.

#13 ·

Quote, originally posted by tampaSi »

Great Picture!!!!!!!!!

From what I understand that is the intersection of the Universe!!

#15 ·

If there's a purpose to my rambling, it's to encourage others who might be on the fence about buying their (realistic) dream car, because in the economic climate right now there may never be another time when a car like this can be purchased so cheaply. To put it simply, I drove it basically for free for 6 months based on what I bought and sold it for. You can't ask for a better deal than that.

It'd be nice to have a dream car. I have cars that I like, but no favorite car:-/ The closest to having lust for a car was a 1993 Corrado SLC, with Dragon Green Pearl paint, black interior, H&R Cup Suspension, Euro Lip, and Euro lights.
That's the last time I ever REALLY wanted a car. Never bought one, sadly.

#18 ·

If there's a purpose to my rambling, it's to encourage others who might be on the fence about buying their (realistic) dream car

Yes. I went from being that guy who was always saying on messageboards "someday I'll get an S2000" to owning one. And even though I'm getting ready to get rid of it after 2.5 years and 30k of driving, I am VERY glad I've scratched that itch. Even if I drive boring normal cars now, I will always have owned a sports car back in my mid-20s, and value that experience.

#20 ·
Re: Summer of Love- My 6 months in a Porsche (SuperGroove)

Quote, originally posted by SuperGroove »

It'd be nice to have a dream car. I have cars that I like, but no favorite car:-/ The closest to having lust for a car was a 1993 Corrado SLC, with Dragon Green Pearl paint, black interior, H&R Cup Suspension, Euro Lip, and Euro lights.
That's the last time I ever REALLY wanted a car. Never bought one, sadly.

The new object of my automotive lust is a 370Z. I liked it until I drove one... now...

#21 ·
Re: Summer of Love- My 6 months in a Porsche (Chris Stack)

Quote, originally posted by Chris Stack »

Yes. I went from being that guy who was always saying on messageboards "someday I'll get an S2000" to owning one. And even though I'm getting ready to get rid of it after 2.5 years and 30k of driving, I am VERY glad I've scratched that itch. Even if I drive boring normal cars now, I will always have owned a sports car back in my mid-20s, and value that experience.

Good on you, and the OP. There are several cars I have always wanted to own, and there's no time like the present. So when I needed a winter beater because my reliable old Integra that got me through college finally died, I got a...Miata. I figure that's a good one to get out of the way at 23 and avoid the midlife crisis stigma
Earlier I tried to take care of an SHO during college and, well, had the typical ownership experience...on the road and running properly for 4 months. Still, it's an experience I'm glad I had.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.