VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

K-Jet turbo setup

255K views 362 replies 64 participants last post by  Hoffa 
#1 · (Edited)
13 sec K-Jet turbo & now a bigger turbo build! Vids on page 5!!!

I'm in the process of building a k-jet turbo mk1 & have been gathering part's over a period of time. The car already has a Volvo 240 fuel dizzy & airflap assembly. I've also added in a permanent fuel pressure tester incl. a tap to test both the control & system pressures.
So far, I've got a saab T3 turbo, Mitubishi Galant turbo intercooler, audi turbo warm up reg, dual port dizzy assembly & a few other bit's incl. a callaway boost gauge & other bit's & pieces & also waiting on the rest of the conversion part's to arrive incl. manifold & A/F meter etc.
While waiting for these part's I decided to play around with some item's & tested the dizzy advance/retard pot.
I modified the pot & drilled out the retard stop & tested it. Under 10-15psi it didn't retard the ignition at all. At 20psi it retarded the ignition only a few degrees. Vacuum advance operated as normal.
I also fitted the audi warm up reg & tested it too. At hot idle without the vacuum hose fitted it would read 45psi (normal). As soon as I put the hose from the warm up reg barbed fitting to the throttle body full vacuum port it would run like a bag of crap & pull it down to 20-25psi! Even on the throttle body ported vacuum it would idle fine at 45psi, but as soon as you crack the throttle open alittle bit to pull vacuum it would again run bad & pull it down to 20-25psi!
If someone could please help, where about's do you plug the warm up reg. vacuum/boost reference into. Eg. throttle body ports, intake manifold to get the boost enrichment?
Also has anyone actually tested there ignition boost retard, as I'm interested in your result's to see if they actually do work.
What would be the approx power output of a k-jet turbo setup like this running 10psi?
Cheers
Tim.

See less See more
#27 ·
Re: K-Jet turbo setup (Mk1-20V)

So with nearly all the major parts in hand, it was time to get thing's moving along as fast as possible
Before Engine bay shots

Didn't take too long to strip it all down & start mocking everything up & then came across some trouble! All this kit is for a LHD car! DOH!
There will be a few mod's here & there to get everything to fit O.K.!
But after scrounging through some various nut's, bolt & studs & even having to make different bolt's with the help of Dom, I finally got there
Fitted up the ATP 3" wastegate V-Band adapter in the process
I painted all the cast exhaust manifold, turbo housing in VHT High temp Matt Black . Awesome stuff & the rest of the dump pipe will get the same treatment

It's a bloody tight fit! It's less than 5mm off resting on the steering shaft boot! Ah well. The old extractor's rested on it anyway!

Assembly mocked up on the bench with a few more part's fitted

Mocking up a new Wastegate actuator.
I can see why company's such as Callaway etc all ran external WG. There is bugger all room down there for them. But I've come this far not to turn around, so I'll stick at it & make it work

Then the die grinder had to be broken out again due to clearance issues with the G60 intake!
This took quiet some time & alot of fitting & refitting to get it right

#28 ·

With some of the stuff off getting finished welded & a few other part's I'm waiting on, I decided to tackle some other part's incl. modifying the dizzy.
Early "twin port" vac canister

Stock GTI vac advance canister

To enable more boost retard, I drilled out the vac pot stop

All mounted up after drilling some new mounting holes

I also fitted a set of MK4 GTI 20vt spark plugs too. This should finish off the ignition system with only a couple of minor timing adjustments during tuning
I also decided to have another play around with the Audi Warm Up reg after some long thinking sessions.
The more I played around with it, the more I learned about it & decided to apply the boost pressure to the other chamber of the warm up (not the barbed fitting side) & put it to the test. I wound down the compressore to 10psi & put it to the test. It worked spot on & I played around with different pressure setting's & compared them to some old porsche K-Jet turbo spec's & were right on the money.
I no longer need the one-way valve my friend made for me.

During my thinking stage, I also wanted to try & add more fuel enrichment for higher boost level's, but didn't want to go down the programmable extra injector(s), as this basically defeats the purpose of building a K-Jet turbo. If you've got one or two extra injectors that can be programmed the way you want to supply the fuel, you might as well go to a full standalone ECU like Microtech, Autronic etc.
So I've had a flat plate of alloy welded to the face of the intake plenum & have drilled & tapped holes for an extra 2 cold start valves run off an adjustable hobbs switch.
Because the G60 intake doesn't have a cold start valve, I can put them where I want. The stock GTI spot isn't efficient enough to mix up the right mixture under boost anyway, as you've got say 10psi blowing right at the face of the valve, which will just blow the fuel right up against the No1 plenum wall & force it all into cyl. 1, causing the other cyl's to run lean.
So I've placed one of them between cyl 1 & 2, & the other between cyl 3 & 4. Hopefully setup like this, it should mix it up nice & supply an even amount of fuel to all cyl's.
Even if this setup runs rich as buggery on boost. It's better than running lean! Running rich can also drown out the piston melting pinging! We'll see how it goes. If it does run on the rich side under boost, I'll screw some more boost into it & see what happens.
My friend is also good with setting up water/meth injection kits as well, so theres another option too.
I plan on starting off tuning on Wastegate spring pressure which is roughly 7psi & work my way up.
In the event of it melting a piston, I've got some 20vt spare piston's & rods, I'll throw in along with a G60 metal head gasket, which should be more than enough for the little 8v
I'll put up some pic's when I get the intake back which should be very soon.

Modified by Mk1-20V at 10:36 PM 9-24-2009

Modified by Mk1-20V at 10:47 PM 9-24-2009

Modified by Mk1-20V at 10:52 PM 9-24-2009

#30 ·
Re: FV-QR (Southcross)

Quote, originally posted by Southcross »

I love my ATP Vband wastegate... curious... what is the red stuff? rtv?

Spot on.
It's Permatex Ultra Copper gasket goo.
The factory wastegate housing didn't have a gasket as it places the wastegate flap too foo away from the exhaust housing & can cause it to leak
More pics
Various silicone hoses of different sizes & shapes. (What ever doesn't get used will get put away for the next turbo build) I't shard to judge what you might need when building these sort's of things without having most of the stuff already fitted.

Various mild steel mandrel's & piping.

A couple of my friend's came down & built the dump pipe while I was at work & also installed the oxy. sensor bung. They done an awesome job too smoothing off the welds & making it flow nice & smooth. They'll also be helping with the intercooler piping.
I'll drive it to my friend's exhaust place like this & he'll rig up the rest of the exhaust. It will just be a 2.5" with a resonator & turbo rear muffler. Don't want it too loud as I travel 200km a day in it. So no drone for me!
In case your all wondering, this is my everyday car & travel 700+km a week in it, not a weekend warrior.

Hobb's switch & Mk4 GTI 20vt (AGU engine code) spark plugs

A good friend of mine also gave me this.
A factory 1977 Mk1 GLS Radio.

Modified by Mk1-20V at 10:48 AM 9-25-2009

Modified by Mk1-20V at 10:49 AM 9-25-2009

#31 ·
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by Mk1-20V »

Spot on.
It's Permatex Ultra Copper gasket goo.
The factory wastegate housing didn't have a gasket as it places the wastegate flap too foo away from the exhaust housing & can cause it to leak
uhm.... every 5-bolt turbo I have seen has been metal to metal, I don't run any kind of seal and I haven't ever had any kind of exhaust leak. I give the RTV one full heat cycle

#33 ·
Re: FV-QR (bunnyhopin)

uhm.... every 5-bolt turbo I have seen has been metal to metal, I don't run any kind of seal and I haven't ever had any kind of exhaust leak. I give the RTV one full heat cycle

Ah well. I'll have to see how it goes. If it does melt it/spit it out, it's me that has to fix it.
Quote, originally posted by bunnyhopin »
who can weld cast iron to mild steel? i never have but ive done plenty of aluminum

You can weld cast to mild steel, but you have to heat the cast up first. My friend has done it before.

#34 ·

Well, I finally got my intake manifold & intercooler back!
These were the last piece's in the puzzle from stopping my progress.
Now on with some more work
My friends tackled the dump pipe, so it was my turn to do the rest of the pipe work. Good fun!
Intake with it's modded twin aux. injector (cold start valves) plate

Hopefully it should work ok. If not, the weber throttle body has another mounting for a 3rd cold start valve.

Intercooler with all it's mounting brackets on

Mounted up the intercooler & then installed the radiator to start mocking up all the piping

There is still alittle bit of room between the intercooler & radiator. They aren't hard up against each other.
I also mounted it using scrivet's (pop rivet nut's) Work awesome!

Various silicone hose joiner slugs

Had to get the turbo intake pipe stretched to fit snugly in the volvo intake boot.

Turbo intake pipe all done & mocked up. I'll get some more pics of this when it's back out of the car along with all the pipes

Then started mocking up the intercooler to throttle body piping

Finished pipe

Then mocked up the Tial BOV mounting position & then the Hobb's switch as well

Then started in the turbo outlet piping. Sorry but I forgot to get a pic of this out of the car

Working out intercooler piping position

I wanted both pipes to run parallel with each other & make it a clean fitment.

Everything appears to clear everything, but only a test drive & time will tell. Hopefully I'll be fine with engine movement
Progress will slow down this weekend, as I've got a 2 day training course over the weekend, but I'll try & get in some work during the night's & back on it on Mon.

#35 ·
FV-QR

Dual (or tripple) cold start valves???????????? I'm super lost

Ah well. I'll have to see how it goes. If it does melt it/spit it out, it's me that has to fix it.

well... I don't know exactly what it will do... if its copper based it might stand up to the temps *shrug*
Just be prepared that it might burn up and turn into a giant cloud of nasty smoke the first time the turbo gets hot. I don't know if you have a CAT or anything right down stream from it, but burning chunks may wind up going through your exhaust
its a very interesting build... and way overdone on the photos, way to go!

#37 ·

Dual (or tripple) cold start valves???????????? I'm super lost

well... I don't know exactly what it will do... if its copper based it might stand up to the temps *shrug*
Just be prepared that it might burn up and turn into a giant cloud of nasty smoke the first time the turbo gets hot. I don't know if you have a CAT or anything right down stream from it, but burning chunks may wind up going through your exhaust
its a very interesting build... and way overdone on the photos, way to go!

I'm starting off with twin cold start valves but as I said, if its not enough, there is another mounting point for a 3rd cold start valve in the weber throttle body.
This is a MY76, so I don't have to run a CAT. or any kind of pollution gear here in OZ
Sorry about all the pics. I'm just trying to help people see what goes into a build project like this or any kind of build, instead of a before & after shot & alot of kept secrets.
If it's too many, I'll cut it right back & just give you a before & after shot & keep all the little helpful bit's of info to myself.

#38 ·
FV-QR

I'm starting off with twin cold start valves but as I said, if its not enough, there is another mounting point for a 3rd cold start valve in the weber throttle body.

is that for fuel enrichment under boost??

#39 ·

is that for fuel enrichment under boost??

Yeah. It will be set off by an adjustable Hobb's Switch.
I'll set it at 7psi initially & see how it all goes with the tune. I may have to bring it in sooner, or may leave it later. But I just need a starting point.

#40 ·
Re: FV-QR (Mk1-20V)

Well this weekend was alittle disappointing & not really happy with the progress. Crappy weather put a stop to painting & a so called dash -4 fitting decided to strip an oil supply adapter! Mmmmmmm.
But I did get some stuff done.
I finished welding all the pipe work, smooth & blended everything which took quite some time. Especially around the BOV. But the extra effort was worth it

All the piping ready for paint tomorrow

Dropped the sump & fitting the oil drain fitting

I also decided to fit a VW Motorsport Windage tray I've had here for a long time. What better time to use it than now.

Made up the oil return line & oil supply line For interest sake the supply is dash -4 & return is dash -10

I also got time to modify the wastegate mounting bracket, due to how the turbo housing's are clocked, the original bracket jammed the wastegate pot against the intake manifold. I also had to mod the swing/push rod end too.
So out came some scrap metal, the hacksaw, linisher & welder.
My welds are slowly getting better.

I'll be ordering some more part's tomorrow which broke, painting the piping & hopefully start reassembly tomorrow night!

#41 ·
Re: (DaBeeterEater)

Got another good day in of work today.
Decided to set up a makeshift booth in the shed as it was crap weather all day again & line it with old massive blanket's & got the patio heater going! Crap I know, but it all didn't turn out half bad.
Managed to etch & spray all component's & then fit everything up.
Just waiting on an oil supply fitting & then onto the wiring which shouldn't take all that long & then brake booster pipe, exhaust & aux. injector fuel line
On with the pics. Very pleased with the final product. Almost look's factory apart from the Tial BOV.

#43 ·
Re: (Mk1-20V)

Got a chance when I got home to wire up the A/F meter, calibrate it & fit the boost gauge. These will only be fitted temporarily for tuning. Once I'm happy with it all, it will all get removed & back to stock interior.
Anyway I can safely say it runs!
Cranked over on the 2nd revolution & fired into life. Although alittle noisey & once all the gasket goo & exhaust paint had settled, it idled perfectly as before at 1000rpm.
I'll get a chance tomorrow arvo to drive it & see how it all goes.

#45 ·

Well with the car still without an exhaust, test driving has been kept to a minimum.
I did get a chance to drive it though & initially boost was kept as 5psi. The turbo isn't even working!
The A/F ratio is spot on at idle & cruise. approx 14.6-14.9:1, but under boost it richen's upto low 10's:1! That's without the Extra injectors even hooked up!
But after a few goes & alittle bit of playing around, I wound it up to 10-12psi & the surge starts to come in. Its still running rich as under boost, so there is sill some playing around to do yet with adjustment's etc.
I'll get more tuning in, once the exhaust is fitted which should be tomorrow.
But it's slowly getting there.
No leak's, no fires & everything is smooth.

#49 ·

Quote, originally posted by DaBeeterEater »
a/f in the 10's, man crank that boost up lol your good to go lol, crank that baby up t0 20 lol

Haha.
Yeah tried that already. spiked at over 15psi & popped & farted!
It's looks like it's going to be a juggling act of boost & timing.
I was surprised about the A/F. I thought it would lean out. That's why I installed the extra injectors. Haven't even hooked then up yet!

#50 ·
what plugs you have in there and what are they gapped at??
that could be why its popping,
this is not much of a comparrison but my 600 hp car i run iridium plugs in it and we run it rich like 10.2's in boost to keep it safe and it does not brake up, i was very very supprised at the iridium plugs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.