VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

FEELER: ANYONE LOOKING FOR A SM PREPPED MKIV, RACE READY

10K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  4ceFed4 
#1 ·
sold, thanks. Bought an Evo VIII the next day

thinking of selling my GTI, and I would love to sell it with the race prep still installed instead of parting it out.
car has been dominating on the local and regional events.
also took 1st place @ Waterfest and Nat'l tour event @ Fingerlakes.
can give info on build prep and extras that come with package

Modified by joefis23 at 9:08 AM 7-3-2009

Modified by joefis23 at 2:13 PM 11-22-2009

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: FEELER: ANYONE LOOKING FOR A SM PREPPED MKIV, RACE READY (joefis23)

Giac 93 oct x+ chip
Ghl 2.5" downpipe w/ hi flow cat
Autotech 2.5"catback with muffler deleted (got for free and cut to fit)
Neuspeed p-flo intake
Neuspeed inlet pipe
Apr diverter valve
AEB big port head with VVT retrofit
custom AEB/AWW intake manifold to match ports
transmission, rebuilt several times to try different parts
current setup
Peloquin limited slip
3.68 ring and pinion for taller gearing
oem vr6 clutch w/ g60 lightened singlemass flywheel
Bildon extreme racing axles
suspension
Ground Control sleeved coilovers (525lb front and 440lb rear)
Koni adjustables front and rear
Neuspeed front and rear swaybars
Eurosport front upper strut brace
Black forest ind rear upper strut bar
Eibach front strut tower camber eccentrics, not really worth the hassle
brakes
Powerslot front and rear slotted and dimpled rotors, oem size
Hawk hps front and rear pads
15x10" diamond racing wheels, 4.5" backspacing
20mm ECS spacers front and rear to clear the calipers
275/35/15 Hoosier A6's
Braille 9.5lb race battery
Corbeau Forza racing seat
Schroth 4pt harness

#4 ·
Re: (Dan McBoost)

thanks for the extra pics! I've never seen those shots. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
that was when I still had an Eibach Pro kit suspension, body roll is kept much more under control now by the GC's and Koni's.

#9 ·
Re: (GruvenGTI)

108k miles. aeb head swap and timing belt service with water pump was done @ 102k miles.
also car is still completely streetable, I drive it a few days a week.
It isn't shown in the picture, but I would also include the street wheels and tires. They are 17" Enkei RSV wheels in bronze to match the paint
contact me back if you have any other questions

#10 ·
Re: FEELER: ANYONE LOOKING FOR A SM PREPPED MKIV, RACE READY (joefis23)

Joe,
Are you by any chance parting your wheel / tire setup (15x10 w/ 275/35-15 Hoosier)? That is what I want for my BMW next year. I would need some more detailed information on your backspace, etc to ensure they would fit.
I've seen your car at least once this year at a Philly region autocross...very fast!
thanks

#11 ·
Re: FEELER: ANYONE LOOKING FOR A SM PREPPED MKIV, RACE READY (IsItElectric2)

Hello,
Is the AEB big port head with VVT retrofit the only item which bumps you to SM? Are you able to say what kind of power/torque you're making with or without that head?
Thanks,
Scott
PS: I must confess I'm not interested in buying the car... just curious since I'm considering a GTI someday... and it WILL autocross in the future.

#12 ·
Re: FEELER: ANYONE LOOKING FOR A SM PREPPED MKIV, RACE READY (IsItElectric2)

Quote, originally posted by IsItElectric2 »
Joe,
Are you by any chance parting your wheel / tire setup (15x10 w/ 275/35-15 Hoosier)? That is what I want for my BMW next year. I would need some more detailed information on your backspace, etc to ensure they would fit.
I've seen your car at least once this year at a Philly region autocross...very fast!
thanks

Unless he's got dual patterns drilled into the wheels, they won't fit your car. E30's can use MK1, MK2, and MK3 4-lug wheels. All MKIV are 5x100.

#13 ·
Re: FEELER: ANYONE LOOKING FOR A SM PREPPED MKIV, RACE READY (DIAF)

Quote, originally posted by DIAF »

Unless he's got dual patterns drilled into the wheels, they won't fit your car. E30's can use MK1, MK2, and MK3 4-lug wheels. All MKIV are 5x100.

Crap, you're right. I am forgetting the MKIV is 5-lug.....doh.

#14 ·
Re: FEELER: ANYONE LOOKING FOR A SM PREPPED MKIV, RACE READY (Stealth_TDI)

Quote, originally posted by Stealth_TDI »
Hello,
Is the AEB big port head with VVT retrofit the only item which bumps you to SM? Are you able to say what kind of power/torque you're making with or without that head?

My understanding is that any mod that physically "touches" the engine (and a big port head would qualify) puts it in SM. Along the same lines (although no where near as severe), the common pulley-mod on a supercharged MINI puts it in SM (which is why I have any knowledge of this).

#15 ·

Hello,
Thanks,
Scott
PS: I must confess I'm not interested in buying the car... just curious since I'm considering a GTI someday... and it WILL autocross in the future.

This car is in SM because of (any/all of the following):
Carbon Fiber Hood
Aftermarket axles
Non-OEM (for that chassis) head/block combination
Non-OEM (for that transmission code) R&P
Saying that it "touches" the engine is kind of vague. In stock, you can't touch anything. In street touring, you can modify up to the throttle body, and out from the header (keeping different class Catalytic Converter rules in mind).
In Street prepared you can modify up to 1 inch in on both sides of the head, but nothing below the valve cover or above the oil pan. Pulleys/flywheels are free. Engines/transmissions can be swapped as complete units from models listed on the same lines.
In Street Modified, you can swap any motor from the same make, heads, cams, forced induction is unlimited, fueling is unlimited, transmissions must be production-based units but can be modified, etc.

Modified by DIAF at 11:29 AM 7-27-2009

#16 ·
Re: FEELER: ANYONE LOOKING FOR A SM PREPPED MKIV, RACE READY (DIAF)

Hello,
Thanks for the explanation. I was aware of how the head dumped one into SM. I overlooked the CF hood. And I didn't think about the axles/RP.
I've autocrossed my TDI for about five years now. I was in SM for three years (altered boost and then due to a hybrid turbo). I've been in FSP for 1.5 seasons now on a stock turbo. The car is fun, but has its limits... especially little top end power compared to the heavy chassis (136-whp for 2800-lbs). And I probably suck to much to be competitive against the lighter FSP cars in my region.

Anyway, I have my eye on 2010 GTI. I'm not sure how long I'll be able to keep the car in GS before i just HAVE to chip and coil it.
More to the point so I don't pollute this topic too much more, does the owner think his car would dominate if prepped to DSP? Those tires are HUGE and must help a lot. But I also don't know how much power he'd give up if prepped only to DSP. I'm sure driver talent plays a large part as well. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
"Anything worth doing is worth overdoing" is often how I plan my mods.
For all I know, DSP won't be enough for me and I could find myself jumping on APR's TSI Stage III setup. I'm not even sure if 370-hp and 385-lb/ft would be drivable on an autocross course in an FWD... fat rubber or not. But it sure might be fun!

Thoughts?
Scott

#17 ·

Hello,
Thanks for the explanation. I was aware of how the head dumped one into SM. I overlooked the CF hood. And I didn't think about the axles/RP.
I've autocrossed my TDI for about five years now. I was in SM for three years (altered boost and then due to a hybrid turbo). I've been in FSP for 1.5 seasons now on a stock turbo. The car is fun, but has its limits... especially little top end power compared to the heavy chassis (136-whp for 2800-lbs). And I probably suck to much to be competitive against the lighter FSP cars in my region.

Anyway, I have my eye on 2010 GTI. I'm not sure how long I'll be able to keep the car in GS before i just HAVE to chip and coil it.
More to the point so I don't pollute this topic too much more, does the owner think his car would dominate if prepped to DSP? Those tires are HUGE and must help a lot. But I also don't know how much power he'd give up if prepped only to DSP. I'm sure driver talent plays a large part as well. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
"Anything worth doing is worth overdoing" is often how I plan my mods.
For all I know, DSP won't be enough for me and I could find myself jumping on APR's TSI Stage III setup. I'm not even sure if 370-hp and 385-lb/ft would be drivable on an autocross course in an FWD... fat rubber or not. But it sure might be fun!

Thoughts?
Scott

I run dsp myself. My opinion is basically that a built mkiv (fully built to the letter of the rules) could trophy at nationals. I'm not the driver to do it(yet) and my car isn't fully prepped (could stand to lose 200 pounds and pick up some more power. We can make more power than anything in the class, and get almost as light as the bmw's. We have an archaic suspension, slow steering, and a high center of gravity holding us back. A great build would be an early mkiv. With the 3.94 final drive box, an awp built to the hilt, and the 285's I'm running IMO.
The mkv is blessed with a better rear suspension, more power on hand through sp-legal
mods, but also more weight to carry around.
Joe's car probably makes about the same power as mine does, as the head swap won't gain that much on a stock turbo, but would show a lot with an upgrade. He has a gearing advatage with his short tires when compared to my car, and while we were crossing the lights at the same speed in finger lakes, he was bouncing off his rev-limiter while I was acclerating through, meaning he got up to speed much faster. That's why I thunk the 3.94 with the285's would be ideal.
Joe's car is a great platform, begging for someone to put a good sized turbo on it and wreak some havoc in smf.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.