Fourtitude.com - Decisions, decisions
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Cars
      2019 Subaru Ascent
      05-01-2009 10:08 AM #1
      I've been looking to upgrade for a while but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Now my battery on my Digital Rebel (originall 6MP version) died and I have a few choices.
      I can buy a new Canon T1i to replace my old camera
      I can buy a new battery and wait to see what replaced the Canon 50D
      Or I can just purchase a 50D now and not wait.
      The reason for waiting would be to see if the 60D or whatever replaces the 50D can record video like the T1i. This feature while not incredibly important is nice to have as I don't carry around a video camera and sometimes I wish I could catch a video of my son.
      While I would not use all the features of the 50D I find it to be more larger then the current Rebel lineup which feels small in my hands.
      I do know that any of these cameras would be a huge step up for me as the Rebel has started to feel very limiting especially with how slow it is when viewing pictures or trying to capture something that moves fast (my son).
      I was waiting to purchase the 50D but now that the T1i came out I just can't decide if I should pull the trigger buy the T1i or wait for the replacement.
      Also I had looked at the 40D but the one feature I do like in the 50D is the facial recognition of focusing for when my wife is taking pictures as I'm tired of everything being out of focus when she grabs the camera.
      Also those saying to look at Nikon I have and I don't like the feel or layout as much. This is a personal preference and nothing against Nikon and probably just do to the fact I'm used to Canon products.
      Blue Subaru Ascent Touring is in the Garage!
      My YouTube Channel please subscribe and give feedback!
      Reviews and How to Videos
      Ascent Oil Change (Fumoto Valve Install)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      '01 B5.5 wagon, '81 Scirocco, '04 FXDWG and too many A1,2, & 3 cars to remember. '93 Miata for S&G
      05-01-2009 10:18 AM #2
      If the only thing wrong w/ your Rebel is a dead battery, why wouldn't you spend the $30 - $40 and just get a new one? You're going to let a perfectly good camera just go to waste because you don't want to buy a battery for it?
      The XXD line is a much better line than the Rebel (xxxD) line. Metal body vs. plastic body, more control, etc. And how about just teaching your wife how to take pictures? Maybe get a battery for your Rebel, and give it to her when you get a new camera. I have a 40D and love it. Also, if you check around, you might be able to get a deal on one. I got mine almost 2 months ago, w/ the 28-135 kit lens, at Best Buy, for $999. The choice of that over $899 for a T1i, is a no-brainer, to me. Or, if you want the newer model, get the 50D. Probably be another 12 months or so until the 60D is launched, based on Canon's past release rate.
      And since I'm sure someone else will say it, I'll throw it in as well. If you want to shoot video, get a video camera.
      Quote Originally Posted by vwtool View Post
      I went to a karaoke night with a mixed-age group earlier this week and sang "Little Red Corvette" when it was my turn. Half the group had never heard of Prince.

Cars
      2019 Subaru Ascent
      05-01-2009 11:06 AM #3
      Quote, originally posted by Mk1Racer »
      If the only thing wrong w/ your Rebel is a dead battery, why wouldn't you spend the $30 - $40 and just get a new one? You're going to let a perfectly good camera just go to waste because you don't want to buy a battery for it?

Well I have been debating on purchasing a new DSLR camera for a year but kept putting it off. While the rebel is a decent camera it has many problems that I get upset about such as the 4 picture buffer and slow focusing.
      As far as the video camera that would require me to have that with me and ready to go as normally it is a 20-30 second video I want to take and I don't feel the need to spend the money on a video camera just for that.
      I've tried to teach my wife and that is just not going to happen she doesn't care and didn't even own a camera until she met me.
      Edit:
      Also the slow turnon time (3 seconds or more) to the point that sometimes I miss shots as the camera is turning on.

Modified by nemesis099 at 11:09 AM 5-1-2009

Cars
      2009 Cooper S
      05-01-2009 11:06 AM #4
      i would just get a battery. Not being able to capture fast moving subjects isn't necessarily a problem with the camera but more due to limitations of the lenses you're using and lighting situations you're in.
      however, if you really feel limited by the features of the rebel go for a new body.

Modified by mhskateboarder at 11:08 AM 5-1-2009

6. 05-01-2009 12:11 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by mhskateboarder »
      i would just get a battery. Not being able to capture fast moving subjects isn't necessarily a problem with the camera but more due to limitations of the lenses you're using and lighting situations you're in.

No, it's definitely a camera limitation. I upgraded from an original Digital Rebel to a 30D and the difference is amazing, especially taking pictures of my son.
      I would suggest the 50D, but the video option is nice on the T1i.... I just prefer the XXD bodies and features.

Cars
      2009 Cooper S
      05-01-2009 12:58 PM #6
      Quote, originally posted by BrandonC »
      No, it's definitely a camera limitation. I upgraded from an original Digital Rebel to a 30D and the difference is amazing, especially taking pictures of my son.
      I would suggest the 50D, but the video option is nice on the T1i.... I just prefer the XXD bodies and features.

yeah the more i thought about this during lunch the more i thought the same thing. the technology has gotten a ton better since the original rebel.

Cars
      2019 Subaru Ascent
      05-01-2009 01:59 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by BrandonC »

This is why it is a tough decision. I like the size and feel of the XXD bodies as my hands are big where on the XSi when I held it my fingers can wrap around the grip without touching it.
      I'm thinking i may just go with the 50D as I like the way it feels but I would love to have HD video for those moments where I say man I wish I had a video of that (these happen with my son).