Fourtitude.com - Hard drive came up blank (Can I get the data back?)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Cars
      2019 Subaru Ascent
      04-13-2009 04:07 PM #1
      Well here is the situation I recently formatted my computer to reinstall windows as it had slowed down to a crawl. Before doing so I backed up all my files on the C: drive to one of my extra hard drives.
      Upon reinstalling XP I went to check the drive and it was not available and under the manager it said it was unpartitioned space. After trying a few different things to bring the drive back up I finally decided to try and recreate a partition and then try to recover the data with recuvia. I was only able to bring back pictures files which I already had backed up on another drive.
      I noticed that in the apps they recomend [email protected] (I have not tried it yet). But does anyone else have any other recommendations?
      For those saying you should always back up twice I had the really important files backed up twice (Pictures and home movies). I just did not realize my wife had work on the home computer that she did not have on her flash drive. But if it is lost it is lost, I just want to make an effort to recover the data.
      Blue Subaru Ascent Touring is in the Garage!
      My YouTube Channel please subscribe and give feedback!
      Reviews and How to Videos
      Ascent Oil Change (Fumoto Valve Install)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 04-13-2009 06:29 PM #2
      R-studio might be able to help - the longer you keep the drive with data you want to recover running decreases your chances of recovery. Pull the drive with the data you want to try to recover until you can get r-studio on there.

Cars
      2003 BMW 330i, 2002 Toyota Appliance
      04-13-2009 08:32 PM #3
      I still play VGA Planets.

Cars
      2019 Subaru Ascent
      04-14-2009 08:30 AM #4
      Quote, originally posted by theevilshiftkey »
      Another app: http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-faq.htm

Thanks I'll try that when I get home today. Tried R-Studio and it found nearly every picture file but no document files. After This program I may just give up as I only lost a few files that I really want to recover.

Cars
      2019 GTI, 2018 Chrysler Pacifica
      04-14-2009 11:00 AM #5

[IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      I've had good luck with their products.
      Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

Cars
      2019 Subaru Ascent
      04-20-2009 09:21 AM #6

Thanks this software worked to restore all 40 GB of data off the hard drive in question! [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] This worked when every other program could only find the picture files (no documents).

8. 04-20-2009 02:43 PM #7
      Personally, I like (have used on more than one occasion), GetDataBack NTFS. It used to cost about $50, but I think they have finally released newer versions as freeware. Works great. Boot from CD, and make sure you have another drive to copy to file to. you don't want to accidentally retrieve files and try to write them to the same drive. you may end up losing data that way. I've even used this app on a volume that was formatted 3 times...you'd be amazed how much data you can still see/retrieve.

9. 04-20-2009 03:44 PM #8
      Glad you got your stuff back... I'll have to check out the GetDataBack program... I dislike how they have different versions for different file systems but still may be worth the cheap purchase.

Cars
      2019 Subaru Ascent
      04-20-2009 04:23 PM #9
      Quote, originally posted by A3Tripod »
      Personally, I like (have used on more than one occasion), GetDataBack NTFS. It used to cost about $50, but I think they have finally released newer versions as freeware. Works great. Boot from CD, and make sure you have another drive to copy to file to. you don't want to accidentally retrieve files and try to write them to the same drive. you may end up losing data that way. I've even used this app on a volume that was formatted 3 times...you'd be amazed how much data you can still see/retrieve.

I didn't see a free version but I tried the demo first then after it found all the files I purchased it and recovered everything. The deserve my money as it was well worth the cost to me.