VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

The BIG debate!!! NASCAR

11K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Al 
#1 ·
Okay. For the NASCAR fans in this little corner of the CL, I want your Top 5 NASCAR drivers of all time in order from best to 5th. And I don't just want a list, but your reasoning why you ranked them the way you did. I'll start...
1. Jeff Gordon - He's won 4 championships during a time when NASCAR has been it's most competitive. He's been a staple in NASCAR since he arrived and could've had at least one more championship if the Chase format never existed. He has more wins than Dale Sr, and has won at almost every track on the circuit.
2. Dale Earnhardt Sr - 7 championships, a bunch of wins, and a master of superspeedways. Sr. changed the sport both on and off the track. He competed against the likes of Petty, Gordon, and Waltip, and was one of the few true. He raced and won during a time when NASCAR was becoming more competitive than when Petty raced.
3. Richard Petty - 200 wins, which will never be reached, and 7 championships. The reason I have him #3 though is he raced during a time when only a handful of competitive cars showed up every week compared to JG where on any given day 20-25 cars have a legitimate shot at winning the race.
4. Jimmie Johnson - He still in my mind can make it to #1 all-time. He has won 3 consecutive championships during the most competitive time in NASCAR, beating his teammate Jeff Gordon and guys like Tony Stewart year in and year out. He rarely makes a mistake on the track and can finesse a car through the field better than anyone out there.
5. David Pearson - 3 championships, 105 wins. He won the title 3 times in 4 years and competed against great such as Yarborough, Petty, and Allison.

Current drivers who can make my list depending on how the rest of their careers go: Tony Stewart

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: The BIG debate!!! NASCAR (b2m_vw)

When I rank my drivers, I don't base it purely on performance, but the impact on the sport. im not well versed in nascar history so here goes...
1. Dale Earnhardt Sr. No other driver has brought out as many emotions as this guy. From his nickname "Intimidator" to the way he left us, he is, in every way, a legend. Untouchable, in my book.
2. Jeff Gordon. The driver that brought the sport into the mainstream. Being from California, he had a different aura about him that attracted a different breed of fans.
3. Richard Petty. For the same reasons you've stated. 200 wins.. etc. I think his name propelled nascar into the mainstream. Didn't he win the race at Talladega when Reagon was in attendance? Also the first live race on CBS?
4. Darrell Waltrip. 3 championships and 84 wins, big personality
5. David Pearson 3 championships

#3 ·

1. Dale Earnhardt Sr. 7 Championships all in the modern era, which is very difficult to do. He won ROY and the Championship in back-to-back years, the only driver to do so in Cup. His 76 wins will probably keep him in the top 10 all-time wins because of the modern schedule. In the could've/would've/should've category, 2002-2004 were his best chances at his 8th championship.
2. Richard Petty. 7 Championship 200 wins, pioneer racer. The sheer numbers he put up in his career require consistency, endurance, and a great drive. His impact in the sport is ultimately defined by his statistics. Most young NASCAR spectators don't know that the Cup schedule used to run 60 races a year, but they weren't the spectacle they are now.
3. Jeff Gordon. He will have to match 7 championships and break 100 wins to become all-time. Earnhardt took 16 seasons to get 7 championships, and Gordon has 4 in 16. In the would've/should've category, what if Rick put Knaus in charge of the 24 team instead of ******* around with Whitsell, Loomis, and LeTarte? True, he did win a championship with Loomis, but Gordon was lackluster.
4. David Pearson. I never saw him race, but his numbers and reputation deserve respect. Plus all "the greats" have sweet nicknames. Pearson is The Silver Fox.
5. Sam Ard. Busch Grand National driver. Owned it. I believe only Mark Martin has more wins.
The others considered, in no particular order:
Darrell Waltrip, for his 84 wins, 3 championships, and personality in the sport.
Cale Yarborough, for 3 championships in a row.
Davey Allison.
Tony Stewart, although I don't see him staying as a driver any more than 10 years.
Jimmie Johnson based on consistency and championships earned in such a short time. I think he needs to win more races to be in the top 5.

#4 ·
Re: The BIG debate!!! NASCAR (GreenandChrome)

Oh man, this debate has always been tough.
I really have a issue ranking drivers who never even competed with each other, or in the same car. Say Richard Petty started his career in 1995 and there's not a chance in hell that he'd win 200 races.
On the flip side, I doubt finesse drivers like Johnson, Gordon or Bush could have won too much back in the heavy, no power steering, bouncy 70's era cars.

Ok, well all that aside.
#1. Jeff Gordon. Without the chase, he would have at least 6 championships right now. Think about this, Jeff got his 50th win on his 232nd start.

#2.Dale Sr. Need I say more?
#3.David Pearson. 105 wins and 3 championships.
#4.Jimmie Johnson. 3 championships and 40 wins.(more to come)
#5. Reluctantly Richard Petty, honestly I have never been impressed with the guy. Yes, he is a hell of a driver, but the competition level from then and now is night and day.
To be fair to Petty, he also finished 2nd in the points 6 times!!

Modified by SoCal_SFVR6 at 1:03 PM 3-15-2009

#5 ·
Re: The BIG debate!!! NASCAR (SoCal_SFVR6)

I notice that Mark Martin is absent from these lists. I'm not saying he should be, since he lacks championships at the highest level, and doesn't have a starts/wins ratio. He's won 4 ASA championships back in the hayday of ASA, and 5 IROC championships.
According to the "experts" the top three drivers are Earnhardt, Pearson, and Petty, in various orders. I'm sure Gordon will be added to the top heap soon enough.

#6 ·

I really, really, really wanted to put Mark on my list.....but his performance has droped big time in the past 5 years. He has been in awsome equipment in that time span too (Roush, DEI and Hendrick) This will be Marks comeback year though! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#7 ·

Mark Martin is consistent, always has been. The reason he wasn't on my list is for the fact he can't close out a season on top. Don't get me wrong, he is one hell of a driver, but in my mind to be considered one of the best, you have to be able to close the deal.

#10 ·

Tom Kristensen ooops wrong thread

#12 ·

I'm not sure where, but I think Curtis Turner should be on that list. My grandpa still thinks the was the best driver there ever was. Just google the name and check out some of the stories. Also a good quote about him from Benny Parsons - "Ask any fan under fifty, ´Who's the greatest driver you ever saw,' and it's Dale Earnhardt. Ask anybody over fifty - including the pioneers who drove at the beginning - and the answer's Curtis Turner." 183 races, 17 wins and 73 top tens at the top level. Everything I've ever read or heard about him says that the numbers would have been even higher if he wasn't so wild. He was the original "wreckers or checkers" driver.

#13 ·
jimmie johnson- 4 consecutive titles when nascar is at its most competitive.
richard petty- 200 wins and 7 titles
dale sr.- 7 titles and the most consistent driver there was
tony stewert- the best driver in the field every sunday, he might not have the stats but he has pure skill
robbie/jeff gordon- amazing road and circut racers, something you dont see much anymore

#14 ·
Re: (Gesford)

Quote, originally posted by Gesford »
jimmie johnson- 4 consecutive titles when nascar is at its most competitive.

JJ's accomplishment is tremendous. But Nascar is not at it's most competitive. The top 35 in points always get in a race. Each race there are more start-and-park racers. Racing is more about $$$ in Nascar than actual skill. That would explain McMurray, Mears, and 80% of Cup drivers.
Nascar is one of the most competitive sports out there. Where else can one team win 7 races one year, and not win any the next?
But I would say it's sanitized, not competitive. When it's competitive, you'll see drivers win 10 events a year. When it's competitive, drivers and crews will take more chances, rather than run for points. Somebody might take a chance and decrease horsepower to gain fuel mileage.
There were 14 different winners this year. 18 winners in 2002. 11 different winners 10 years ago. 11 different winners in 1989. Winner count is counter-intuitive if you think about it.

#17 ·
Re: The BIG debate!!! NASCAR (Al)

Quote, originally posted by Al »
he was that good.

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!!

While he was a good shoe, he was somewhat inconsistent. I'm sure his extra-curricular activities had something to do with that.

#18 ·

Quote, originally posted by GreenandChrome »

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!!

While he was a good shoe, he was somewhat inconsistent. I'm sure his extra-curricular activities had something to do with that.

He used to sit in the stands and watch Earnhardt drive (the real one, not Jr.), then he would go out and brake a few feet later.
Dale was the one who said Tim was one of the best natural drivers ever. Too bad we never got to see it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.