Fourtitude.com - What is reckless driving?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
      Cars
      E46 coupe
      02-23-2009 02:54 AM #1
      Say, for example, you have really good tires and/or all wheel drive. This means when the weather is warm and dry, you can have some wide open throttle fun without breaking the tires loose. Is accelerating viciously from a stop up to the speed limit considered reckless driving? This is often how i get my kicks without (at least i think) risking too much in the way of penalty. We have some roads here with traffic lights and 55 mph speed limits, so the ole 0-60 can be fun times.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      '13 Mini Cooper S
      02-23-2009 03:00 AM #2
      I honestly don't understand "excessive acceleration." Your car comes equipped with a certain amount of power, as long as you don't break the speed limits or burn your tires or fishtail a bit, what is the big deal?

02-23-2009 03:01 AM #3
      From my experience, it really is up to the officers judgment. I know 25mph over in Indiana is, but I also had a cop try to give seven other people and myself a reckless ticket because we were cruising and were in a group (doing 4-7ish over) for a photo-op. We were blocking non-existent traffic and "were about to race". I've had another officer catch me going balls out in some twisties late at night and he gave me a warning for speeding.

5. 02-23-2009 03:39 AM #4
      I'll wait for some actual cops with traffic law enforcement skills to chime in - but if its anything like most laws, its within the officer's perception ...mainly if he thinks you could be putting someone else in harms way.
      Then again, there are lots of ridiculous traffic laws...heck my father (excellent driver) got a ticket because he turned, and didn't wait 100 yards (or feet) to change lanes, to get by a slow rolling car...in..South Carolina I think.

Cars
      2003 S2000, 2008 Lexus GS350, 2015 Lexus GX460
      02-23-2009 03:42 AM #5
      in Michigan it is defined as 25mph over and/or committing three civil infractions in front of an officer.
      some states do have an excessive acceleration statute.
      don't drive like an idiot in front of the cops.
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

Cars
      2012 Jetta SE
      02-23-2009 03:59 AM #6
      over here "accelerating viciously from a stop up to the speed limit" could be exhibition of speed i believe

Cars
      E46 coupe
      02-23-2009 04:03 AM #7
      Quote, originally posted by c2tmdsn »
      over here "accelerating viciously from a stop up to the speed limit" could be exhibition of speed i believe

i don't doubt that for the people's republic of california but i was wondering what its like for the other 49 states...

9. 02-23-2009 04:23 AM #8
      Other motorists not expecting you to be in 'their space' so quickly.

Cars
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      02-23-2009 04:27 AM #9
      Doing 95 in a 55 on an interstate will earn you one. I guess those state patrol cars have good radar units ... my V1 never even beeped. (Wrote Radar - not pace or visual - on my ticket)
      /Had too find that one out the hard way. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif[/IMG]
      //4 points suck
      ///Insurance Company classifies it as a normal speeding ticket [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Modified by seadoo2006 at 3:28 AM 2-23-2009

11. 02-23-2009 04:30 AM #10
      you can get a ticket for heavy acceleration.
      its called exhibition of acceleration. i know a few people that got it, most on bikes though.

12. Member
      Cars
      '17 S6, B5 S4
      02-23-2009 05:48 AM #11
      reckless driving is whena person is driving ina manner that shows complete disregard for the safety and lives of others. You have to really be going all-out to get that ticket. There is also agressive driving. That is where a person breaks a certain amount of traffic laws over a specific distance. Like tail gaiting, unsafe lane changes, speeding, weaving, etc, all within 1/2 mile.
      The acceleration thing is called exhibition of power here.

13. Banned
      Cars
      German/American/Italian
      02-23-2009 06:35 AM #12
      A Camry, making it to 55mph by the time it merges onto a freeway is considered to be "reckless".

Cars
      2006 Ford Fusion 2.3 Turbo, 2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid
      02-23-2009 08:40 AM #13
      Quote, originally posted by Elbows »
      - but if its anything like most laws, its within the officer's perception ...mainly if he thinks you could be putting someone else in harms way.

Which is the most annoying aspect of traffic laws.

15. 02-23-2009 09:37 AM #14
      This has always been one of my questions I wanted to ask....
      Ok, so I know speeding is illegal, ya. But how fast am I ALLOWED to get to the speed limit?

16. 02-23-2009 09:53 AM #15
      Quote, originally posted by dubraycer36 »
      On the other hand, if your tires so much as chirp when you take off, that's called "exhibition of speed" and you will become the proud owner of a $145.00 ticket.

Quantify this statement... Just how much tire noise does it take?

Cars
      2009 Odyssey | 2013 Fit | 2009 Miata | 07 Mazda3 | 03 Mazda Protege5 | 02 Mazda Protege
      02-23-2009 10:08 AM #16
      If I can hear it with my windows up.

eh... there is a stop sign on a hill here and my Ody chirps when I pull out at 2.5k rpm.
      Its impossible for me to take off from this stop sign w/o chirping with the cabrio.
      Nothing to see here move along.

Cars
      '13 392, '90 Miata, '11 Wrangler
      02-23-2009 10:24 AM #17
      Quote, originally posted by jacobyb »
      reckless driving is whena person is driving ina manner that shows complete disregard for the safety and lives of others. You have to really be going all-out to get that ticket.

Not around here, you don't. 15 over is an automatic reckless in VA unless the cop cuts you some slack.

19. 02-23-2009 10:29 AM #18
      Quote, originally posted by jacobyb »
      reckless driving is whena person is driving ina manner that shows complete disregard for the safety and lives of others. You have to really be going all-out to get that ticket. There is also agressive driving. That is where a person breaks a certain amount of traffic laws over a specific distance. Like tail gaiting, unsafe lane changes, speeding, weaving, etc, all within 1/2 mile.
      The acceleration thing is called exhibition of power here.

Chuck Norris can be cited for this at any given time, regardless of what he is doing.
      /that's the funniest I can come up with at 6:30am

20. 02-23-2009 10:29 AM #19
      But mostly, I write those tickets to younger kids in riced out Hondas and Nissans, that are simply tying to impress their boyfriend in the pass. seat.

I see what you did there.

Cars
      2001 GTI GLX and a '76 Standard
      02-23-2009 11:18 AM #20
      Isn't "reckless" when you are driving and you avoid a reck by missing the crubs, burshs and fents's?

22. 02-23-2009 11:19 AM #21
      Reckless driving, in the United States, is a serious moving traffic violation. As an offense reckless driving is variously described by different ...
      en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reckless_driving
      Operating a motor vehicle in a dangerous manner, including speeding, weaving in and out of traffic, etc.
      http://www.lawyershop.com/prac...ssary/
      Reckless driving is when an individual operates a vehicle in a dangerous and negligent manner. It is a misdemeanor crime.
      http://www.attorneykennugent.com/library/r.html

Cars
      '01 GTI VR6, '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0, '04 Mazda 3
      02-23-2009 11:21 AM #22
      Quote, originally posted by PassSedanGLX »
      Not around here, you don't. 15 over is an automatic reckless in VA unless the cop cuts you some slack.

It's 20 over in VA. Ask me how I know.

02-23-2009 11:30 AM #23
      It varies from state to state. It is a law that is often times used to persecute drivers that are neither exceptionally dangerous nor "reckless" in the layman's sense of the word. I believe that traffic enforcement is one of those areas where the punishment most often doesn't fit the "crime." But that is what happens when you have crowded roads overrun with poorly trained drivers and governments in need of revenue.

Cars
      F14 Tomcat
      02-23-2009 11:31 AM #24
      On the other hand, if your tires so much as chirp when you take off, that's called "exhibition of speed" and you will become the proud owner of a $145.00 ticket.

That was always my take.
      Tire sound = reckless
      No tire sound = under control
      There is also another finer point of traffic law which is similar: when you are going around a corner that has no suggested speed (say, a traffic light corner), what is the speed of reckless? I go by the same rule ... when your tires make sound, you are "out of control".
      That said, I think the key to not getting tickets is being courteous to other drivers, and driving safely for the circumstances. ... Rush hour is not the time do anything fast/crazy/unpredictable, but noon on a weekday is much more reasonable to be a boy with a toy. Night and especially twilight are also very unsafe (and officers will react accordingly).

Cars
      RSX Type-S
      02-23-2009 11:45 AM #25
      I always found it interesting how much the laws can vary from state to state and even then within the state itself.
      PSN: Silviatzero
      "I've got an idea for sweat shops: air conditioning! Problem solved."
      RSX-S

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast