Fourtitude.com - Took a Gen Coupe for a test drive today...
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    1. 02-23-2009 01:01 AM #26
      Random thing I got stuck on....you PUSH the paddles...WHAT?
      Thats incredibly bass-ackwards...and would negate an auto purchase from me (not that I'd buy one anyway...but if I was forced to)
      Reminds me of most VW auto-sticks...where you push up to change up gears, and pull back to change down, which is opposite of what it should be as well...weird...and lame. Pushing paddles...if they wanted that, they should have gone with a button set-up.
      OR...did I misunderstand you?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 02-23-2009 01:09 AM #27
      Quote, originally posted by Elbows »
      Random thing I got stuck on....you PUSH the paddles...WHAT?
      Thats incredibly bass-ackwards...and would negate an auto purchase from me (not that I'd buy one anyway...but if I was forced to)
      Reminds me of most VW auto-sticks...where you push up to change up gears, and pull back to change down, which is opposite of what it should be as well...weird...and lame. Pushing paddles...if they wanted that, they should have gone with a button set-up.
      OR...did I misunderstand you?
      Yeah it really threw me. I tried pulling them, but they didn't give, so I gave up before I broke them or something. As soon as I pushed them though they went easily, so I figured that was the only way they're meant to go. It really does make the paddles totally useless, since they're too far away for thumbs to reach, and flicking the back of your fingers against them is just awkward.
      So yeah, after I found that out, I just used the console stick for the rest of the drive, which worked just fine and was actually a decent amount of fun.

Cars
      '08 135i, '00 4runner, '85 Huntsman (Toyota) RV
      02-23-2009 01:13 AM #28
      Quote, originally posted by Anon1210 »
      Oh god, stock Advan RZ wheels would be amazing lol.

No kidding! I want a set for my car so bad I can't stand it. Some of the best looking wheels on the market right now IMO, but they're not cheap. They look great on the Genesis.

Cars
      13 Lincoln MKZ
      02-23-2009 01:14 AM #29
      GM did something with the Corvette IIRC. Their justification was that statistically people prefer to push it rather than pull it. The problem is that enthusiasts know paddle shifters from F1 and stuff like that where they see people pull it so that's what we expect.

Cars
      '08 135i, '00 4runner, '85 Huntsman (Toyota) RV
      02-23-2009 01:17 AM #30
      Quote, originally posted by HaterSlayer »
      GM did something with the Corvette IIRC. Their justification was that statistically people prefer to push it rather than pull it. The problem is that enthusiasts know paddle shifters from F1 and stuff like that where they see people pull it so that's what we expect.

BMW does something weird with their paddle shifters as well. I think you pull them to upshift and push to downshift, or maybe the other way around. (I've only messed with them for a few minutes on a test drive because I knew I wouldn't be getting an auto anyway)

7. 02-23-2009 01:19 AM #31
      I am still dealing with it being a Hyundai. I guess it is pretty dead to me until I get over that.

8. 02-23-2009 01:22 AM #32
      Quote, originally posted by .L i z »
      I am still dealing with it being a Hyundai. I guess it is pretty dead to me until I get over that.
      You really do need to get over it. There's absolutely nothing about it that even remotely calls back to Hyundai's humble past.

02-23-2009 01:37 AM #33
      I was waiting and waiting for them to finally release this car! But I couldn't resist and bought my Z. Friggin' Hyundai should've sent me news updates from their website and given the projected release date!
      Your loss Hyundai. I guess I'll have to pick one up on the cheap a few years from now. But it's prolly good not to buy first year production so they can work the bugs out.

10. 02-23-2009 02:36 AM #34
      Quote, originally posted by nickthaskater »
      Like I said in the OP, my only gripes with the auto was that it took a bit longer than I'd like for the trans to shift from the initial input via stick/paddle, and that the paddles on the wheel had to be pushed rather than pulled back, which is completely counter intuitive. The console stick was far more natural and user friendly for use with manual mode.

According to this guy, you CAN pull it.
      Quote »
      Not true about having to push- that's what I thought too, and I was REALLY pissed about it.
      However, if you move your hands down the wheel (toward the middle, which is more natural anyway), you can pull the paddle shifters.

Quote »
      Yes, I drove one with an automatic (I just wrote a review in N2OInferno's "I drove it" thread). There was a + on the right side for upshifting, and a - on the left for downshifting. There were triangles that stuck up above the wheel, which I assumed you pulled, and instead you could only push them (which was really awkward).
      Soon after, my coworker followed the plastic down and there are flatter panels on the sides of the steering wheel, a little higher than the exact centre. You pull whichever one is relevant.
      I think the pushing/pulling thing is going to be a common mistake at first.

http://www.gencoupe.com/genera....html

11. 02-23-2009 02:42 AM #35
      Ah damn, I wish I had found those. Salesman didn't know a damn thing about the car either, so it's no wonder he was no help there.
      Well, that's great to know for the future, and thanks for pointing that out [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

12. 02-23-2009 02:47 AM #36
      Quote, originally posted by nickthaskater »
      Ah damn, I wish I had found those. Salesman didn't know a damn thing about the car either, so it's no wonder he was no help there.
      Well, that's great to know for the future, and thanks for pointing that out [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

No prob. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

13. Member
      Cars
      2004 GLI, 2014 Audi S5
      02-23-2009 09:38 AM #37
      Didn't even notice the location, was just staring at those wheels.
      I read the 'track' came with different 19"s?? and red brake (was it brembo?) upgrades.
      Either way, car is hot, who gives a damn if its a Hyundai?
      Where can you get a RWD turbo anywhere else? I honestly don't know.

14. 02-23-2009 11:40 AM #38
      "track" is called GT in canada (and may be different) & yes it comes with brembo's.

Cars
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      02-23-2009 11:42 AM #39
      Quote, originally posted by Parsons »
      Didn't even notice the location, was just staring at those wheels.
      I read the 'track' came with different 19"s?? and red brake (was it brembo?) upgrades.
      Either way, car is hot, who gives a damn if its a Hyundai?
      Where can you get a RWD turbo anywhere else? I honestly don't know.

BMW. Ford (in 2010). Porsche.

02-23-2009 11:54 AM #40
      Why no pics of the car you drove?

Either way, thanks for the review. Strange that you drove a 2.0T. My dealer told me that the 2.0T models won't arrive until March/April (take it for what it's worth).

17. 02-23-2009 11:55 AM #41
      Quote, originally posted by Fritz27 »

Also, for the time being... Saturn, Pontiac .
      Bowties (not the Chevy kind), tattoos, and mostly being completely undecided

02-23-2009 11:55 AM #42
      Quote, originally posted by Fritz27 »

At this price?

02-23-2009 11:56 AM #43
      Quote, originally posted by cougar »
      Also, for the time being... Saturn, Pontiac .

Very true. Sad how I keep forgetting the Sky/Solstice exist. Too bad really, because they both are attractive cars.

20. 02-23-2009 03:04 PM #44
      Quote, originally posted by jwaters943 »
      Why no pics of the car you drove?

Either way, thanks for the review. Strange that you drove a 2.0T. My dealer told me that the 2.0T models won't arrive until March/April (take it for what it's worth).
      Didn't bother with pics because it was just a stock Genesis Coupe, and there are about 4 threads within the first few pages of TCL full of pics.
      As for the car, yeah like I said, I was surprised that there was a 2.0T on the lot. Not sure why we got one earlier than most others, but hey, I'm not complaining
      Quote, originally posted by jwaters943 »
      Very true. Sad how I keep forgetting the Sky/Solstice exist. Too bad really, because they both are attractive cars.
      They're also completely impractical and lower-rent from a quality perspective. The only attractive thing about them, IMO, is the engine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12