Fourtitude.com - Took a Gen Coupe for a test drive today...
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1. 02-22-2009 08:02 PM #1
      2.0T, auto, "premium" trim
      I have to say, the exterior is damn good looking in person, and the "pinched" front end is nowhere near as dramatic as in photos. Very handsome and sleek.
      Inside was just as nice. The seats were supportive in every way I could want from factory seats, particularly at this price point, and were comfortable to boot. One of my favorite aspects of the interior was the steering wheel itself, as it was sized and shaped perfectly for me. Just a very natural feel behind the wheel. Materials were more than pleasant to live with, and everything felt properly put together. Also, visibility was great for a 2+2 coupe, and the rear quarter dips actually do help quite a bit in that regard.
      My 6'0" brother was stuffed into the back seat (salesman was in the passenger seat) and while he had more than enough leg room, he was about 5" too close to the roof. For passengers ~5"9 or less, I'd imagine it would be perfectly comfortable.
      Trunk space was much more than I expected, and the large trunk opening makes it actually usable too. The only downside is the use of the big "U" hinges, but regardless, it's plenty of space for a car of this type.
      The ride was solid, but very smooth. Stayed flat during hard cornering and high-speed lane-changes on the highway, yet over the rough back roads it was perfectly comfortable. Steering was nicely weighted as well, not over boosted at all. I'm sure some might find it to be a little too heavy, but for me, it was great. Braking was firm and undramatic, more than adequate.
      I went into it full expecting to be underwhelmed by the performance of the 2.0 mated with the auto, but really, it was more than enough to put a smile on my face. Throttle response was great, absolutely no lag from the low-boost turbo. Getting out on the highway was effortless, deceptively quick if anything. The manu-matic shifting was a bit sluggish, though not as much as a few others I have driven (such as the Lincoln MKS I drove the other week). The shifts themselves were handled nicely. I do have a gripe the wheel-mounted paddles, as you have to push them rather than pull, which is pretty unnatural with the way they're placed. The console shifter was definitely the way to go when using the manual selection. Engine note was enough to egg me on in the higher RPMs, but was perfectly civil when cruising.
      To sum it up, this would undoubtedly be the car to buy, in Canada at least, for the money. I was looking at less than $30k sticker for a loaded 2.0T with the $1500 automatic, which is virtually unmatched here for the refinement, practicality, and sportiness that the 2.0 provides. Solidly recommended to take for a test drive, if not a purchase.
      Well done, Hyundai [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Rule 1

Modified by nickthaskater at 4:07 PM 2-22-2009

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

02-22-2009 09:35 PM #2
      Sweet, I'm excited for this car. I'm glad to hear the 2.0T wasn't too tepid.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

4. 02-22-2009 09:39 PM #3
      Nice review. How was the tranny? (not the shemale one, the transmition)
      GTX2867R Focus ST. Meth Addict.

Cars
      2017 Chevrolet Silverado Z71; 2018 BMW M4 Cabrio
      02-22-2009 09:39 PM #4
      Thanks for the review...only makes me more excited for what the 2.0T manual has in store!
      Slightly obscure question, but how was the Infinity Stereo? I usually am impressed with their car audio setups, so I'm curious how it was pulled off in the gen.
      Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
      I shall continue carrying the torch for old school muscle while you lay down for the new deities like Automaticus (the god of clutchless ahifting), and Suspensionum (the patron saint of neutral handling).

6. Member
      Cars
      '16 LS3
      02-22-2009 09:56 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by RollingInDubs »
      Thanks for the review...only makes me more excited for what the 2.0T manual has in store!
      Slightly obscure question, but how was the Infinity Stereo? I usually am impressed with their car audio setups, so I'm curious how it was pulled off in the gen.

Really? Infinity sound leaves a horrible taste in my mouth after I rode around in my exs Concorde back in the day.

7. Member
      Cars
      2016 4Runner
      02-22-2009 10:00 PM #6
      Blarg Blarg Cheap Hyundai Blah Blah! I'm mad because they made an affordable RWD coupe! Corners were cut! Will someone PLEASE think about the corners!
      I'm jealous.
      We all talk with knives.

8. 02-22-2009 10:01 PM #7
      damn! i want 2.0T!! my local dealers will only have v6 by end of this month. they are saying they won't have 4bangers until f1st week of april! damn!

Cars
      '09 GTI
      02-22-2009 10:03 PM #8
      Only 1 picture? Denied!
      -Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to speed around the city, keeping its speed over fifty, and if its speed dropped, the bus would explode! I think it was called, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."

10. 02-22-2009 10:05 PM #9
      Quote, originally posted by brettnyt »
      Nice review. How was the tranny? (not the shemale one, the transmition)
      It was adequate for an auto-box. I really wish the dealer had a manual 2.0 in, but the only stick they had was a V6 and it was sitting in the showroom.
      Like I said in the OP, my only gripes with the auto was that it took a bit longer than I'd like for the trans to shift from the initial input via stick/paddle, and that the paddles on the wheel had to be pushed rather than pulled back, which is completely counter intuitive. The console stick was far more natural and user friendly for use with manual mode.
      Gearing itself seemed quite well suited for the engine. Cruising at ~70mph on the freeway in 5th net around 2,500 RPM or so, and knocking it down for a pass at that speed was pretty effortless. Muddling around town in 3rd makes for usable power and a subtle exhaust note.
      Quote, originally posted by RollingInDubs »
      I'm not an audiophile at all, but it was more than good enough for me. Had the XM satellite going and it was clear and crisp. I would have no problem at all living with it.

11. Member
      Cars
      2004 GLI, 2014 Audi S5
      02-22-2009 10:06 PM #10
      Those are factory wheels?!
      Damn those are hot.

12. 02-22-2009 10:07 PM #11
      Quote, originally posted by Parsons »
      Those are factory wheels?!
      Damn those are hot.
      Nope, that was just a random pic I had in my PB, as people generally get testy when a thread doesn't contain at least one pic. Note that pic is in Korea, and I'm in Canada

13. 02-22-2009 10:12 PM #12
      Oh god, stock Advan RZ wheels would be amazing lol.
      Should've posted a pic from your drive!
      Thanks for your thoughts, though!

14. 02-22-2009 10:13 PM #13
      the only one on the abbotsford lot is a 2.0T w/ 6spd manual & premium package - which would probably be the package i'd opt for if i were in the market for one.
      looks like canada gets the 4 bangers first & the usa gets the v6. makes sense, since smaller displacement cars sell better in canada & big motors sell in america.

15. 02-22-2009 10:25 PM #14
      Quote, originally posted by Noisyninja »
      Blarg Blarg Cheap Hyundai Blah Blah! I'm mad because they made an affordable RWD coupe! Corners were cut! Will someone PLEASE think about the corners!
      I'm jealous.

Lol, I'm thinking about the corners. Every single one.

16. 02-22-2009 10:33 PM #15
      Quote, originally posted by true snowboards »
      the only one on the abbotsford lot is a 2.0T w/ 6spd manual & premium package - which would probably be the package i'd opt for if i were in the market for one.
      looks like canada gets the 4 bangers first & the usa gets the v6. makes sense, since smaller displacement cars sell better in canada & big motors sell in america.
      The dealer here in Richmond has a V6 6-speed in the showroom, and the 2.0 auto that I drove sitting outside. I was shocked when they said they had the 2.0, as I'd heard about so many other dealers in the US and whatnot that hadn't received them yet.

17. 02-22-2009 10:46 PM #16
      I think the car looks great on the outside, window dip, front grill and all.
      But the photos that I've seen of the interior leave me a little doubtful about the quality. However, have to check it out in person before any judgments.
      Can't wait to test drive a 2.0T soon.
      Oh yeah, they're flashing EDITYOUROWN.COM ads on tv now. (I rarely watch TV so it's odd that I should catch these ads while typing about the car)

18. 02-22-2009 10:55 PM #17
      I had no issues with the quality of the interior. Sure it was no Lexus LS, but it was galaxies ahead of the current Mustang (haven't had a chance to see the '10 in person), at least on par with Nissan's Z cars. I guess if I were to really nitpick, the indicator stalk could have been a little beefier, but it wasn't exactly like it was going to fall off if I pushed it too hard either.
      This car definitely deserves to be given a fair shake in person before being put down as "cheap" or "sub-standard" in any way.

Modified by nickthaskater at 6:56 PM 2-22-2009

19. Member
      Cars
      Pale yellow Christmas Packard.
      02-22-2009 10:56 PM #18
      This is an awesome car for the money. Why was the salesman not in back? Older, back problems
      Man...sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived. - Tenzin Gyatso

20. 02-22-2009 11:00 PM #19
      Quote, originally posted by 2Cor »
      This is an awesome car for the money. Why was the salesman not in back? Older, back problems
      He was definitely older. My brother is only 14, he can suffer a little

21. 02-22-2009 11:45 PM #20
      your 14 year old brother is 6'? geez I hope he already had his growth spurt.

Cars
      Logitech G29
      02-22-2009 11:52 PM #21
      I'm liking Hyundai more and more each day. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

23. 02-23-2009 12:14 AM #22
      Quote, originally posted by vdubmachine »
      your 14 year old brother is 6'? geez I hope he already had his growth spurt.
      lol yeah, he's a freak of nature to be sure.
      On a side note, I wish Hyundai would kick advertising for the Genesis, both Coupe and Sedan, into overdrive. They're great cars that are given a bad rap simply because of Hyundai's past lineup of "cheap" cars. I was talking to a girl who was in the showroom looking at the V6 Coupe while I was waiting for the salesman to run some numbers, and she was shocked that such a car was a Hyundai, basically just stumbled onto it while walking around the automall.
      So yeah, Hyundai if you're listening, get these cars out into the malls, out front of dealerships on pedestals, and wherever else is possible, because that's going to be the biggest fault of the Genesis sisters; the lack of awareness of their existence and quality.

24. 02-23-2009 12:18 AM #23
      Quote, originally posted by nickthaskater »
      and the "pinched" front end is nowhere near as dramatic as in photos.

Great review~ [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      However, I've seen the car in person, the front is just as bad as (if not worst) in photos...

Cars
      13 Lincoln MKZ
      02-23-2009 12:20 AM #24
      Nick! We miss you on IGN dude. I'm also surprised at you looking at newer cars for some reason. What the hell were doing driving an MKS?

26. 02-23-2009 12:46 AM #25
      Quote, originally posted by Teko_1.8T »
      Great review~ [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      However, I've seen the car in person, the front is just as bad as (if not worst) in photos...
      Well, that is of course entirely subjective. My view was that it was quite attractive and distinct, though obviously others will see it a different way [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      I will say one thing, those grille inserts the Koreans have been using so much in the nose of these things definitely makes a difference.

Quote, originally posted by HaterSlayer »
      Nick! We miss you on IGN dude. I'm also surprised at you looking at newer cars for some reason. What the hell were doing driving an MKS?

lol, I don't miss IGN one bit. As for the cars, I've been interested in the Gen Coupe since day one, so when I saw one on the lot, I had to drive it. It's also not that unreasonable to buy new, so yeah, all the more reason.
      The MKS was for my sister. She said she wanted me to drive since she knows I'm more technical and wanted my opinion about those aspects of the car, whereas to her it was just pretty, lol. The MKS definitely needs the ecoboost ttv6 that's for damn sure. The 3.7 I drive was pretty wheezy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast