VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

NASCAR Race Talk

314K views 1K replies 45 participants last post by  alexthomas14355 
#1 ·
I figure we need a catch-all thread.
So, 5 laps at California and rain caution.

I still can't belive Im not there.

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: NASCAR Race Talk (SoCal_SFVR6)

I had a family commitment tonight, so I didn't get home to see the race until about 30 to go. I did catch the truck race yesterday though and some of the Busch race.
I heard both Jr and Martin had engine failures,
especially for Hendrick cars. Roush has jumped out to a quick start this season, wonder if it will last for all the cars. A good top 10 for Vickers though, I think he will be a surprise this season and get a win, maybe two.

#4 ·

Yeah, for a while I though Jeff had him at the end, but Kenseth seemed to just run hard enough to keep Jeff behind him. Every time JG would close the gap, Kenseth would pull away.
How about Stewart with his new team? 2 top 10's to start the year and 4th in points, but then on the flip side, Newman has had nothing but problems to start the year.
And I know it's only 2 races in so far, but that run for the top 35 could be very interesting.
32 Scott Riggs 143 -242
33 Robby Gordon 134 -251
34 Ryan Newman 134 -251
35 Dale Earnhardt Jr. 133 -252
36 Aric Almirola 131 -254
37 Joey Logano # 119 -266
38 Jeremy Mayfield 104 -281

I think at some point during this season, you WILL see Logano pulled from the 20 car for a few races and either Terry Labonte or Bill Elliottt (when not running the 21) will be behind the wheel using Champ provisionals when Logano has a hard time staying in the top 35.

Modified by b2m_vw at 7:22 AM 2-23-2009

#5 ·
Re: NASCAR Race Talk (b2m_vw)

Quote, originally posted by b2m_vw »

I think at some point during this season, you WILL see Logano pulled from the 20 car for a few races and either Terry Labonte or Bill Elliottt (when not running the 21) will be behind the wheel using Champ provisionals when Logano has a hard time staying in the top 35.

Whoa! I never even considered that, but I can totally see that happening.
I can't believe Jimmies car fell off like that, that car dominated every practice session.

#6 ·

About Jimmie, this is kind of what he did last year. They just seem to mosey along in the top 10 and pick up a win or two in the first 20 races, then they get down to business when it counts.
As for Logano, he's already out of the top 35, has shown no signs of running well yet, and still has to go to Bristol in a couple of weeks. I think the 20 will struggle to maintain top 35 status all year. WOW, that sounds weird to say.

#7 ·

The no testing thing isn't gonig to help Joey at all. Im really excited about the 24 this year. We didn't win, but whens the last time that Jeff had a car that was consistently running in the top 3 at a intermediate track? A few years ago? lol
And the Allmendinger love-fest continues...... I like AJ, I liked him in Champcar, he seems like a really cool guy, but Im so sick of all this praise.
Rumor has it that be might be going to drive F1 for the unnamed new American team. That would be very cool. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#8 ·

I think JG will be strong this year. It seems they finally got the COT figured out.
AJ will drop like rock. I love it when Vickers runs good like he did this weekend. Jimmy Spencer on Speed Raceday continues to bash Vickers and can't believe AJ was fired and Vickers was kept on. So every time Vickers runs well, I love it

#9 ·

AJ will drop like rock. I love it when Vickers runs good like he did this weekend. Jimmy Spencer on Speed Raceday continues to bash Vickers and can't believe AJ was fired and Vickers was kept on. So every time Vickers runs well, I love it

Right.

I wanted to see what the 83 could have done, if they would have kept their starting position and had clean air.

#10 ·

Quote, originally posted by SoCal_SFVR6 »
I really thought Jeff would pullout the win.
Kenseths pit crew was top notch, as always.

nice clean race....I just watched it on DVR. The wife and I were out of town celebrating our 10-year wedding anniversary (Feb 20, 1999
) and I promised the wife no sports. Looks like Kenseth is the man to beat but I really wanted Gordon to win one. Busch had a nice weekend and came close to a trifecta with an OK car.

Modified by gonzo08452 at 7:02 PM 2-23-2009

#11 ·

I think JG will be strong this year. It seems they finally got the COT figured out.

I don't care to or listen to half the stuff Spencer says.

#15 ·
Re: NASCAR Race Talk (gonzo08452)

Quote, originally posted by gonzo08452 »
what's wrong with Vickers?

Yeah, I like Vickers fella.
Should we have a little friendly bet (no money of course)? Who will be pulled out of their car first (doesn't have to be permanently, maybe for a race or two)?
Joey Logano or Scott Speed?????
Both are out of the top 35 as we speak, and I doubt either of them will get firmly into the top 35.

#16 ·

Yeah, I like Vickers fella.
Should we have a little friendly bet (no money of course)? Who will be pulled out of their car first (doesn't have to be permanently, maybe for a race or two)?
Joey Logano or Scott Speed?????
Both are out of the top 35 as we speak, and I doubt either of them will get firmly into the top 35.

yeah really....they should put Skinner in there somehwere http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#17 ·

I will say Logano will be pulled first. For the reason that Home Depot and the 20 team have enjoyed being in the spot light for a long time and to not see that car on the track would be very unpleasant for Home Depot. The 82 team has been in and out since they got here, so this is nothing new for them. You would also probably see Home Depot on the 11 or 18 if the 20 fails to make the race one of these weekends. Just like when Leffler was in the 11 and didn't make the race and Bobby Labonte almost won at Lowe's in the #18 Fed Ex Car.

#18 ·

Quote, originally posted by gonzo08452 »
what's wrong with Vickers?

Yea, seriously.

BV is a really underrated driver. Everybody seems to have forgotten about him in the Busch series. BV is without a doubt, the "best of the rest". This year or the next, I expect a win at Michigan, California or Lowe's. He seems to run best at those tracks.
I expect Joey and Scott will both get yanked out of their rides at some point, or Kyle and Joey will swap #'s or teams or something.

#20 ·

Yea, seriously.

BV is a really underrated driver. Everybody seems to have forgotten about him in the Busch series. BV is without a doubt, the "best of the rest". This year or the next, I expect a win at Michigan, California or Lowe's. He seems to run best at those tracks.
I expect Joey and Scott will both get yanked out of their rides at some point, or Kyle and Joey will swap #'s or teams or something.

Scott seems to qualify well but like the old veterans say...'qualifying is overrated'. But seriously, they both need to show some results to match the expectation/hype. Joey claims a lot of moral victories with what he is learning but he needs to start implementing.
edit...this is all good stuff since this is only the 2nd race

Modified by gonzo08452 at 3:00 PM 2-25-2009

#21 ·

Yea, seriously.

BV is a really underrated driver. Everybody seems to have forgotten about him in the Busch series. BV is without a doubt, the "best of the rest".

Ya, he drove for Hendrick's Busch team, which in the early 2000's was just like the #20 of JGR. Real hard to do bad in that #5 car. There's just something that I don't like about him.

#22 ·
Re: NASCAR Race Talk (GreenandChrome)

Quote, originally posted by GreenandChrome »

Ya, he drove for Hendrick's Busch team, which in the early 2000's was just like the #20 of JGR. Real hard to do bad in that #5 car. There's just something that I don't like about him.

Yeah, I hear ya. There are guys like that for me. For example, Denny Hamlin is one of those guys that for some reason, I just don't like. Nothing specific, just don't like him.

#23 ·

Yeah, I hear ya. There are guys like that for me. For example, Denny Hamlin is one of those guys that for some reason, I just don't like. Nothing specific, just don't like him.

Lol! I share your Denny-hate, but I think mine is because he is a Gibbs driver.

Plus, he bitches and moans about his team all the time. They outta throw a "blanket party" for him.

#24 ·

I don't hate anyobody in particular but do get annoyed at times with certain mannerisms.
Cousin Carl...I enjoy watching him race but something about his post race interviews bug me. The was he looks back at the track...the way he pauses in between sentences. Just listen to him and you'll see what I mean. My wife was the one who actually pointed this out to me. I'm not sure if I believe him sometimes.
David Ruetemann....nice guy. Again, his interviews and the way he never looks at you in the eye but instead continues to look down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.