VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

NASCAR Race Talk

314K views 1K replies 45 participants last post by  alexthomas14355 
#1 ·
I figure we need a catch-all thread.
So, 5 laps at California and rain caution.

I still can't belive Im not there.

See less See more
#102 ·
Re: (b2m_vw)

Quote, originally posted by b2m_vw »

1 win came under Steve Hmeil at Chicago in 05.

Bring back Pops!

Ok, I was wondering about the Chicago win. I only remember it, because Jr was driving a cool blue/red MLB car. Well......those numbers don't lie. I can only assume that Mr.Hendrick reads them also and Im willing to bet that the 5 and 88 teams get shook up before the season ends.

#103 ·
Re: (SoCal_SFVR6)

You know what sad though is even in the N'wide races, Jr doesn't run up front anymore. There was a span at Daytona and Talladega around 02-04 where he would run up front all day in the N'wide. Now when races, he struggles for top 10's. I hope he is able to turn it around this year, because now that he is in the best equipment there is and JJ and JG are running up front, there are no more excuses for him. It's all on his shoulders now.
Mark Martin has just suffered bad luck, 2 blown engines and a blown tire. Jr has just been bad, plain and simple.

Modified by b2m_vw at 2:14 PM 3-9-2009

#104 ·

I know it's only been one season, but Im starting to also see that Jr ain't as good as people like to think. I knew he was no Tony Stewart, but damn Jr. The 5 car is out winning poles, Jimmie is leading laps and Jeff is leading the points. To be fair, I honestly believe that if the COT never came to life, Jr would have quite a few more wins, so would Jeff. (and alot of other guys too probably.)

#105 ·

i think the jury is still out on jr's performance this season. he had a top 10 last week and finished 11th this week, overcoming a wheel that felt like it was about to come off. i think they are going the conservative route now, rack up the top 10s and advance in points. maybe in the later half they'll start experimenting for the chase. He probably won't get many wins, but i predict he'll be there when the chase comes.

#107 ·

I agree. Jr needs to win and win NOW!! Yes his attitude needs to change and he needs to start earning the respect he believes he deserves. He just can't rely on name alone. He said so himself 2 weeks ago during the interview with DW. The younger guys do not respect him. Its a whole new generation of racers out there. He's starting to sound like Kyle Petty. As far as Tony Jr., again maybe he's not as good as everyone says he is. From my perception, Tony Jr lacks the attention to detail that Hendrick demands. They are making way too many rookie mistakes as a team. He needs to step up as the leader of that team. Maybe he needs to start cracking the whip a little harder. Maybe its to loosey goosey and he needs to tighten up a few screws here and there. I don't know. All I know is that they both have Jr's at the end of their names. Its time for them to start creating their own legacy.

#108 ·
Re: (gonzo08452)

Quote, originally posted by gonzo08452 »
I agree. Jr needs to win and win NOW!! Yes his attitude needs to change and he needs to start earning the respect he believes he deserves. He just can't rely on name alone. He said so himself 2 weeks ago during the interview with DW. The younger guys do not respect him. Its a whole new generation of racers out there. He's starting to sound like Kyle Petty. As far as Tony Jr., again maybe he's not as good as everyone says he is. From my perception, Tony Jr lacks the attention to detail that Hendrick demands. They are making way too many rookie mistakes as a team. He needs to step up as the leader of that team. Maybe he needs to start cracking the whip a little harder. Maybe its to loosey goosey and he needs to tighten up a few screws here and there. I don't know. All I know is that they both have Jr's at the end of their names. Its time for them to start creating their own legacy.

well put.

#110 ·
Re: (goosler)

I've also come to realize that both Jr and Tony Jr have no clue when it comes to making their car better during the race. How many times over the past few years have we seen them run up front or top 5 through the first half of the race, then end up with a 15th place finish. Jr has a knack for the superspeedways, that's about it. His 05 Chicago win was on pit strategy, as was last years win. They struggle so much when it comes to adjusting a car mid-race.

#111 ·

Quote, originally posted by SoCal_SFVR6 »

Lance McGrew or Darian Grubb should be on top of Jrs pit box.

I think Jr needs someone to put him in his place. Pops did that, acted more like a father. Tony Jr doesn't do that, Pete Rondeau couldn't handle Jr, Steve Hmeil I thought could, but didn't want to. If McGrew or Grubb has the canjones to tell Jr to shut the hell up and drive, they would be a pretty good combo.

Modified by b2m_vw at 11:51 AM 3-10-2009

#113 ·

Tony Sr still works for JR in the Nationwide series right?

Yeah, he's Keselowski's crew chief.
Jr needs someone on the box who will not take his crap. Just for comparison sake, a guy like Knuas is too technical for Jr. I think a guy like Zippy is the type Jr needs. Zippy would tell Stewart off during times, which would in turn fire up Smoke.

#116 ·

Lol, you sense wrong! Remember all those years of Zippy and Tony at eachothers throats on the radio, I think your right, Jr needs that in his chief. Tony sr, has that fire, but apparently none of the talent, Zippy has both. Speaking of Zippy......Logano, will he even finish Bristol? Im betting NO.

#121 ·

What the hell was that crew member thinking!? Wierd caution.

Said crew member has been suspended 4 races and put on probation for the rest of the year long, crew chief was also put on probation for the rest of the year because of the incident.

#123 ·

Yeah, the guy just wasn't thinking right and made the wrong decision. You could tell immediately afterwards by his antics when talking with his crew chief he knew he effed up

Modified by gonzo08452 at 10:12 AM 3-11-2009

#126 ·

Next thing you know they'll run the race in reverse.
I think they need a real All-Star Race. Take the top 7 in points from each of the 3 series (Cup, N'wide, Truck) with one fan vote in driver, and race 50 laps. Just make sure you're on a track where the times between the 3 series are very close so that it's fair for everyone. How cool would it be to see 3 different style cars racing door to door on the track at once?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.