VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Ford Coil Pack on VR6 with Pics.

708K views 812 replies 221 participants last post by  FourSeasonTuning.com 
#1 ·
Hey Im a Newbie and felt I should share some knowledge of swaping a Ford EDIS 6 coil onto the VR6. Like alot of VR6 owners I started having Misfires. Knowing that the VR6 Coil is prone to failure I had no desire to buy a Brand New VW coil, Espicially for $330 at the local parts store. First I tried to cover it with epoxy that fixed some of the misfiring but not all of it. I saw a million GM Coil Pack swaps and the extra bracket and extra wiring to make them work, then I came across one guy who used a Ford EDIS 6 coil. Me being a Ford Guy at Heart It didnt take me long to Decide what I was gonna do. This swap is alot more straight forward and Stock Ford EDIS Coils are cheap and Never Fail. I picked up the Used Ford coil wiring plug and stock Ford plug wires off of a friends of mines Thunder Bird SuperCoupe.
Here are some pics.
Everything

Ford Coil vs. VR6 Coil (note the bad epoxy job on the VW coil, ha)

Almost fits right on there

Ford plug soldered on and shrink wraped

Ford Terminals on Stock VW wires

Finished Coil

Wires and Coil

Finished

Modified by GardenSnake at 12:24 PM 1-28-2009

Modified by GardenSnake at 12:29 PM 1-28-2009

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: Ford Coil Pack on VR6 with Pics. (Eric D)

Yes, that was the only other guy that I have seen do it. And since there are a million write ups for the GM coil packs why not have two for the Ford Setup? Also he is using a different style ICM and Coil Base, as well as he didnt convert to the Ford Style Terminals either.

Modified by GardenSnake at 12:35 PM 1-28-2009

#4 ·
Re: Ford Coil Pack on VR6 with Pics. (GardenSnake)

When you look at the MSD pic with the ICM, look carefully and you'll see my (C) copyright.
That was me that made the original wiring diagram with the 6 MSD coils, this was done in response to a question another member had.
He was intrigued by this set-up, I have nothing to do with this one, nor is he using the VR6 ICM.

So I made this diagram below for the forum member. With this diagram, others have chosen the 3 MSD coils and have made brackets. I have not made a cent off this, nor do you see credit given. As long as my name isn't erased from the diagram, people will make the connection. No pun intended.

#8 ·
Re: Ford Coil Pack on VR6 with Pics. (Eric D)

Quote, originally posted by Eric D »
When you look at the MSD pic with the ICM, look carefully and you'll see my (C) copyright.
That was me that made the original wiring diagram with the 6 MSD coils, this was done in response to a question another member had.
He was intrigued by this set-up, I have nothing to do with this one, nor is he using the VR6 ICM.

i'd love to run a setup like this on my VRT
looks way clean

#9 ·
You happen to know the part #
I work at a FLM dealer and my parts guys is a dick about giving him Part#'s
And as far as Kv goes, is it comparable to stock vw or higher?

Modified by youlostme21 at 4:46 PM 1-28-2009

#10 ·

How about the 2001-03 Windstar coil pack?
Looks like the coil towers might fit with the VR6 wire ends.
Here is a Windstar wireset. Looks like Bremi/Beru etc ends, but I can't really tell from the small pic.

#12 ·
Re: Ford Coil Pack on VR6 with Pics. (ricardo)

The Car runs perfect now. I believe the Ford coil pack is a little stronger (higher voltage) than the VR6 coil as well. Since those pictures I have switched to lower resistance 8mm Taylor wires. My stock wires were going on 119k and I didnt trust them.
Here is a diagram you asked for. Its not real pretty but you get the idea. Also the ICM is labeled with these same notations so you can match them up as well as Eric D has them shown on the ICM in his diagram.

#14 ·
Re: (GardenSnake)

That's f'n cool man - thanks! This is probably the route I will go - I noticed a crack in my coil body when re-assembling my GTI. And yes, you can pick up the new Accel coil off ebay for $55 shipped. Could probably get the wires from a junk yard cheap to have the factory ends, too.

Modified by 97vr6blu at 11:18 PM 1-29-2009

#15 ·

This is some really good ****. Thanks Man!! But Is this mean that i can run motorcraft oil on my VR6
and save some cash?

#19 ·

I did this EXACT project on my wife's vr6 GTI.
Worked Awesome! $25 for coil off what I think was a 1995 Ford Taurus maybe 3.0l.
Sabre sawed the alum base to fit. made stand-offs to bolt it up. Works AWESOME!
USED ACCEL wires, (not best option) went back to junkyard and got old plug wires for the ford ends. Haven't done that part yet.
Thanks again for documenting this mod. WAS AWESOME, highly recommended.

#21 ·
Re: Ford Coil Pack on VR6 with Pics. (AbsoluteNovice)

Quote, originally posted by AbsoluteNovice »
Ford also uses the VR6 in Europe, I wonder what coil-pack they use in these? It is some kind of van if I am not mistaken, Galaxy maybe?

The galaxy is just a vw van with a ford badge, most everything is still a vw part.

#22 ·
Re: (97vr6blu)

Quote, originally posted by 97vr6blu »
That's f'n cool man - thanks! This is probably the route I will go - I noticed a crack in my coil body when re-assembling my GTI. And yes, you can pick up the new Accel coil off ebay for $55 shipped. Could probably get the wires from a junk yard cheap to have the factory ends, too.

Modified by 97vr6blu at 11:18 PM 1-29-2009

found the ford accel unit on jegs for like $90... jegs makes one as well for like $80....

Modified by Boost112 at 3:02 PM 3-30-2009
question is what is the best way to do the wires.... how do you crimp the ends on to the vr6 wires... do you need to solder them on? can i just go down to discount and get the ends or is a junk yard better? any suggestions?

Modified by Boost112 at 3:13 PM 3-30-2009

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.