VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

audi or vw in nsacar?

27K views 66 replies 17 participants last post by  buddahvw 
#1 ·
someone told me they heard audi my enter nascar in the future. i read something on here that vw was thinking of entering (this was back in 05 when toyota made the move).
i also found on the web that audi did say they were thinking about it and would be building a pushrod v8 for their pikes peak truck to "get their feet wet" in the pushrod engines.
there is a new factory being built in tenn. for audi. and the new s4 has a 4.2l v8. prob not pushrod...but still its not the w8
...i'm am opening this up for coments, thoughts, and has anyone seen anything newer on the topic.
I welcome it and would love to see this. and when audi enters i would with out a doubt to drive for them.

#52 ·
Re: audi or vw in nsacar? (criminal_mischief)

i know the 4.2 isnt a pushrod but it would not be hard to redesign the topend.
Not sure why you think you can just change the top end. They would have to design a whole new block to remove the OHV style heads and make a bottom end with a camshaft in the centerbore. This is why people joke about nascar motors and the 60 year old engine design. Audi would have to make an entirely different pushrod motor.

#53 ·
Re: audi or vw in nsacar? (1stgen)

Quote, originally posted by 1stgen »
i know the 4.2 isnt a pushrod but it would not be hard to redesign the topend.
Not sure why you think you can just change the top end. They would have to design a whole new block to remove the OHV style heads and make a bottom end with a camshaft in the centerbore. This is why people joke about nascar motors and the 60 year old engine design. Audi would have to make an entirely different pushrod motor.

The 4.2 has an aluminum block-NASCAR insists that the blocks be cast iron or(in the case of the new Ford FR9) a magnetic steel alloy Also, the 4.2 is undersquare, and NASCAR V8s(be it stock block or purpose built) are oversquare to allow for the 9000+rpm that they turn-that's why the R8 GT3 has the 5.2 V10 in it-the 4.2 would have to be worked too hard to be reliable.
And it should be noted that aside from similar external deminsions, the 3.6 V8 out of the Audi R8 LM/ALMS car has no relationship with the 3.6/3.7/4.2 V8s, and is also an oversquare design influenced(as far as what and what not to do) in part on the Ford/Cosworth DVF series F1 engines and Baretzky's own experience with the 1.5 BMW F1 engines and Audi's own 2.0 inline 4 touring car engnes.

#54 ·
Re: audi or vw in nsacar? (chernaudi)

I was quoting criminal mischief...sorry for the confusion, I agree wholeheartedly that they would have to develop a completely different and only usable in the nascar circuit, engine block. Not cost effective and pretty dumb as well.

#56 ·
Re: audi or vw in nsacar? (buddahvw)

i must say that as a young(er) lad, i watched nascar, because it waqs really the only type of racing that was on tv(no cable as a kid), i was later turned on to CART, which eventually turned into F1 and endurance racing. I have been to pocono once for a race, it was a cool experience, but i think it ended my days of being a nascar fan. it got to be pretty boring and repetive. that is why i am now a huge fan of endurance racing (alms), cuz there is always battles going on, close races, and lots of fender banging, especially in the gt classes

#59 ·
Re: audi or vw in nsacar? (DubbersReject)

Quote, originally posted by DubbersReject »
not huge boring tracks

More evidence that you haven't really WATCHED nascar. Try to separate yourself from the sheep-minded way of thinking that nascar only turns left and ovals make for boring racing.

#60 ·
Re: audi or vw in nsacar? (SoCal_SFVR6)

i in fact HAVE watched nascar, and watching cars run together in a straight line in a circle bored me, i gave nascar a shot, and after watching other forms of motorsport, i don't find it as interesting. i'm not bashing anyone who does, i was just stating my opinion. you can't sit there telling me i have never watched it, i have been to a large track in person, and i found it to be a bit boring. i wasn't bashing the short tracks, in fact if they're on tv and i have nuthin goin on i will sit down and watch them, cuz i find those way more interesting then those large tracks

Modified by DubbersReject at 4:20 PM 2/5/2010

#65 ·
Re: audi or vw in nsacar? (SoCal_SFVR6)

Quote, originally posted by SoCal_SFVR6 »
Learn some punctuation, then make fun of other people. D*ck.

dubs dubs dubs

#66 ·
Re: audi or vw in nsacar? (H8honda)

haha.. with all due respect, I do quite well with puncuation. The typo was my intention. the point I was trying to make is that there are alot of closed minded nascar fans that will never give a foreign auto company a chance in their " american " sport...Look at all the fans who dismissed Tony Stewart because he chose to drive a toyota..The same type of people who got in my face because I failed to scream go junior! (actually I gave him the finger which didnt help my cause) at the one race I attended.Iam not slamming the sport nor every fan..I dont have the right, but I will be surprised when they allow Germany to participate in this american event...and yes Iam a D*ck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.