VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

audi or vw in nsacar?

27K views 66 replies 17 participants last post by  buddahvw 
#1 ·
someone told me they heard audi my enter nascar in the future. i read something on here that vw was thinking of entering (this was back in 05 when toyota made the move).
i also found on the web that audi did say they were thinking about it and would be building a pushrod v8 for their pikes peak truck to "get their feet wet" in the pushrod engines.
there is a new factory being built in tenn. for audi. and the new s4 has a 4.2l v8. prob not pushrod...but still its not the w8
...i'm am opening this up for coments, thoughts, and has anyone seen anything newer on the topic.
I welcome it and would love to see this. and when audi enters i would with out a doubt to drive for them.

#27 ·
Re: (b2m_vw)

Quote, originally posted by b2m_vw »
I just don't see another manufacturer coming into NASCAR. Toyota was in the sport before most people realize. They started with a Celica in NASCAR's Goody's Dash Series in 2000. Honda,VW, or anyone else has had no participation in NASCAR at all, on any level. So if any of them were to come into NASCAR, you'd probably seem them in a smaller series first like Toyota did in the Goody's Dash Series.

Modified by b2m_vw at 1:48 PM 1-21-2009

NASCAR doesnt have any smaller series anymore. they have the nationwide series, and than weekly racing. they sold off the dash series so if anyone else enters they would have to start right at the top now. ARCA, Hooters procup, and any other series uses the type of cars run in nascar only

Modified by criminal_mischief at 3:16 PM 1-26-2009

#29 ·

you have to see it from a production standpoint... what will audi/vw gain from building a carburated v8 with pushrods.... it doesn't make any sense for them to enter a series where they can't develop stuff for their production cars. and if you can't tell me the that's the reason the "big 3" are in it, cuz if that is the sole purpose for them running nascar, i can see why they need the government to bail them out

Modified by DubbersReject at 9:01 PM 1/26/2009

#32 ·
Re: (franz131)

Also, NASCAR requires steel block, carburated OHV V8s, all of which are basically custom jobs that share nothing in common with any production motor. Dodge's NASCAR engines were all clean sheet of paper, the Chevrolet R07 is clean sheet, Toyota's is as well. As of 2008, only the Ford 351 Windsor SVO "Clevor"(Clevland heads and Windsor block) was the only stock block derived engine in NASCAR, though the Nationwide and Camping World Truck series still use the 350 Chevy small block derived SB-II engine.
And even the 351 SVO is to be replaced with the FR9, a clean sheet of paper design derived from the SVO, but in reality only shares bore/stroke and a handful of parts with the old engine.
Audi/VW would have to design an dinosaur to run NASCAR-the only VAG engine that uses a steel block is the base 2.0T straight 4-even the VR6s now use aluminum blocks, and all Audi V6 and V8 non diesel engines use aluminum blocks and heads-and VAG diesels may turn that corner soon, since BMW's straight 6 diesel is all aluminum.
It's hard to believe that the Audi R8 LM car's engine was designed in 1998, and is still way more high tech than anything NASCAR used-all aluminum, FSI direct fuel injection, stressed member with the tub, and never an engine failure in 80+ races from 1999-2007. And if you want another high tech V8, there might be one in the Audi R15.

#36 ·
Re: audi or vw in nsacar? (Pineapplegti !)

Quote, originally posted by Pineapplegti ! »
the best america can do is nascar. Germany has dtm.. admit it chris you love mediocrity

I love waking up on a Sunday morning, cracking a beer, opening a bag of chips and watching side by side racing.

#39 ·
Re: (Barefootracing)

Quote, originally posted by Barefootracing »
if audi or vw enter nascar i will promptly sell mine

I am willing to bet alot of money you won't.

I understand many people thing its boring that they do circles for hours at a time, but I dare you to go and try it out. Its hard as hell turning a car at 180mph and having to get within 6 inches of a wall to set yourself up for a straight away... Also, go and watch one and you will be surprised how much fun they are...

#40 ·
Re: (Bronco1138)

I beg to differ on watching a stock car race and how 'fun' they are. I've been to two in my life. One in Vegas in 2001, another in Phoenix in 2007. Vegas happened because some Air Force buddies were going, and they wanted to meet up since there were going to be several of us in one location after being in separate locales. 2007 happened because my boss asked me to go with some sales clients, as my company was the title sponsor of the Siemens/Elliot Sadler(?)car, and we were getting red carpet sponsor treatment. Both races were excruciatingly boring. Not wholly just because of round and round and round though. Part of it was simply because stock cars look painfully slow on 1 - 1 1/2 mile ovals in person. 160mph or so on the straights at Phoenix. Looked like a leisurely drive. Champ cars were hitting 213mph on the same straights, if I remember correctly. They looked very quick. Not to mention that you can see the blatant and obvious use of the yellow flag even more vividly. Race starts, everyone is excited. People sit down, race goes on, wanes, people become less interested. Boom. Yellow flag. Restart. People on their feet for a bit. Race wanes. Interest fades. Yellow flag. Restart. Repeat cycle.
Take the 'you'll be surprised how much fun they are' with a grain of salt. If you haven't liked stock cars in the past for whatever reason, don't assume you'll feel any different in person.
Everyone is going to have their own opinion, obviously. I just didn't enjoy either race in the least, and all that goes to further solidify my opinion. The far and away best part was the catered food at the sponsor event. Seriously.

#41 ·
Re: (veedub87)

Different strokes for different folks. I've only missed 2 races at PHX since 2000. I thoroughly enjoy it, especially sitting in the middle of turns 1 and 2 watching the cars come off of 2 sideways almost every lap. I'll admit, there are some dull points in a race, but that's no different than the middle portions of a b-ball, f-ball, or baseball game. I can't stand any of those until late in game. I also couldn't imagine sitting through 600 miles of at Lowe's. That's what I like about PHX is that it is one of the shorter races of year. But just like any sport, if you're a fan, you'll have a good time, if not, you probably won't. I'll give veedub87 a http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif for at least trying the experience unlike a lot of people in the CL who mouth off about something they've never been to. All of his points are valid, but for me, I enjoy it.

#42 ·

Its all relative. I've been watching NASCAR since the late 90's and just recently started attending races. People are drawn to sports for different reasons and I use to minimize NASCAR as simply going around and around in an oval. But the more I understood the rules, regulations, points system, and seeing what different things teams are doing to the cars, the more I enjoyed the sport. I enjoy the competion and not necessarily how a car/brand looks.

#44 ·

Quote, originally posted by b2m_vw »
Different strokes for different folks. I've only missed 2 races at PHX since 2000. I thoroughly enjoy it, especially sitting in the middle of turns 1 and 2 watching the cars come off of 2 sideways almost every lap. I'll admit, there are some dull points in a race, but that's no different than the middle portions of a b-ball, f-ball, or baseball game. I can't stand any of those until late in game. I also couldn't imagine sitting through 600 miles of at Lowe's. That's what I like about PHX is that it is one of the shorter races of year. But just like any sport, if you're a fan, you'll have a good time, if not, you probably won't. I'll give veedub87 a http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif for at least trying the experience unlike a lot of people in the CL who mouth off about something they've never been to. All of his points are valid, but for me, I enjoy it.

Thank you for acknowledging that my opinion is substantiated by experience. The other thing I forgot to mention was that since the cars are intentionally kept grouped together, the action was almost entirely just in one area. The pack of cars go by like a herd of buffalo. Then you just sit there and wait for them to come back around. I would have to say that that is el numero uno for making it a negative experience for me. It's almost as if there aren't 40 cars running around the track, but 1 big one, with an occasional slow straggler trying to catch up. I figure if it bothered me that much at a 1 mile track like PIR, it would bother me 10x as much on a 2.5mi super speedway.
Either way, it's just as b2m_vw describes. Different strokes for different folks. To contrast the stock car experience, I'll note that I HATE IRL, but back in the heyday of IndyCar and Champ Car, I loved to watch the oval races. At California, cars were hitting 260mph on the straights. Yes, 260mph. I believe it was Mauricio Gugelmin who did a lap AVERAGING 242mph back in 1999 or 2000.
Now, Nascar or open wheel fan or not, if that kind of speed doesn't get your panties wet, you need to find another sport to watch.

Modified by veedub87 at 9:06 PM 2-13-2009

#45 ·

if you think its boring b/c the cars come by grouped together you would hate a road race because rather than wait 45 seconds for another car to go by you have to wait almost a minute.
for me that is one of the reasons i wont go see a sports car race, i wanna be able to see the whole track and the action, on the tv i like it all but for a race to go see hands down it would be an oval, prob. a usac silvercrown race those are some intense cars.
if anyone who is posting on here car, go see a night race at bristol, sit up high so you can see and than tell me its boring b/c they are going in circles

#47 ·

if your talking cup, hendrick is gonna win it. stewart/haas is going to have an awesome year not championship material tho, most likely in the chase. maybe i'm just biased cause im a north guy and he came from mdifieds but tommy baldwins new team with scott riggs looks promising.
myself, engine is still at the motor builders can't wait for it to get here and in the car so i can hear it run again
. we bought a second car so once this is together that will be the next project. we really got are act together this year so we are looking forward to good year but you never know how things are gonna turn out its just racing. i won the track championship a few years back and the car we bought won in 06 at the track we are gonna frequent so we we are planning having a good season http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#48 ·
Re: (criminal_mischief)

Quote, originally posted by criminal_mischief »
if you think its boring b/c the cars come by grouped together you would hate a road race because rather than wait 45 seconds for another car to go by you have to wait almost a minute.

Au contraire, mon frere.
I've been to a ton of road races over the last 30 yrs, and not once have they all been grouped together in the manner that you suggest. Depending on the size of the track, there's some good action in front of you a good percentage of the time.
That being said - even though going to a road race is a brilliant and tactile experience - racing is better on tv.

#51 ·
the jury has been out on this one forever

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.