VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

audi or vw in nsacar?

27K views 66 replies 17 participants last post by  buddahvw 
#1 ·
someone told me they heard audi my enter nascar in the future. i read something on here that vw was thinking of entering (this was back in 05 when toyota made the move).
i also found on the web that audi did say they were thinking about it and would be building a pushrod v8 for their pikes peak truck to "get their feet wet" in the pushrod engines.
there is a new factory being built in tenn. for audi. and the new s4 has a 4.2l v8. prob not pushrod...but still its not the w8
...i'm am opening this up for coments, thoughts, and has anyone seen anything newer on the topic.
I welcome it and would love to see this. and when audi enters i would with out a doubt to drive for them.

#2 ·
Re: audi or vw in nsacar? (criminal_mischief)

I'm thinking they'll want to race this first:

(GT3 Racecar if I can get the code right)
Pikes Peak + Quattro = sales
Le Mans + TDi = sales
NASCAR FordChevDodgeToyota silhouette car w/o Quattro w/o TDi w/o a motor that you sell = sales of what?
My $0.02
Modified by franz131 at 11:02 AM 1/12/2009

Modified by franz131 at 11:03 AM 1/12/2009

#3 ·
Re: audi or vw in nsacar? (franz131)

more americans watch nascar than any other racing series. so to raise us sales find a way to better market to the us public

#5 ·

Nice stats but meaningless if it doesn't sell cars.
Trying to sell European cars via the archtypal American style sport is guaranteed to get rid of some extra money, not much more.
It violates the basic rules of target demographics.
Toyota does it to be viewed as part of the American auto industry.
A Nascar fan may swap his Malibu for a Camry, but for an A4?
Europe has a NASCAR, it's called DTM. Audi races there.

#6 ·
Re: audi or vw in nsacar? (franz131)

With the COT in full swing, I don't see a reason for any manufacturer to be involved in NASCAR. In my opinion, today's fan, more than ever, doesn't care what brand their driver drives. They are a fan of the driver, not the brand. Look at Formula 1 and DTM, the stands are filled with manufacturer flags, NASCAR??? Not so much. I think NASCAR will become manufacture-less at some point.

#7 ·
Re: audi or vw in nsacar? (b2m_vw)

Quote, originally posted by b2m_vw »
With the COT in full swing, I don't see a reason for any manufacturer to be involved in NASCAR. In my opinion, today's fan, more than ever, doesn't care what brand their driver drives. They are a fan of the driver, not the brand. Look at Formula 1 and DTM, the stands are filled with manufacturer flags, NASCAR??? Not so much. I think NASCAR will become manufacture-less at some point.

idk about manufacture-less, where are teams getting motors? and the manufacture still needs to spend money for write offs. you still need some manufacturer influence.
and there is still the nationwide series. . . not using a cot
and to the other guy,
not all nascar fans are dumb poor ********. . . actually go to a race. there are many 40,000 - 50,000 dollar trucks parked out there. why wouldnt they buy a a vw or audi suv rather than a tahoe or subbrban or denali? its not the malibu that they are selling. it is the brand recongnition
and dtm does not sell cars in the us.

Modified by criminal_mischief at 5:06 PM 1-12-2009

#8 ·

with the us economy the way it is though. . . are any cars going to be selling??
i've talked to some older people while i'm working (i work for verizon and i'm at deifferent people's houses everyday) and they all say this is exactly the way the depression started. now they could all just be downers and thats another thread but just saying....

#9 ·

Quote, originally posted by criminal_mischief »

idk about manufacture-less, where are teams getting motors? and the manufacture still needs to spend money for write offs. you still need some manufacturer influence.

The currrent motor isn't "built" by any mfg. They are all loosely based on the SB Chevy 350 motor...and all castings are then built to spec by each motor builder.
The various mfgs will still spend to sponsor the "Ford f150 500" etc...but they really aren't that active (per se) in the series right now.

#10 ·
Re: audi or vw in nsacar? (Tornado2dr)

the casting is a ford 351 or chevy 350 casting from 1970's. it is not loosely based. it is the casting that is than reworked with bigger pistons etc... but the manufact. helps with development $$$$

#11 ·

its not the malibu that they are selling. it is the brand recongnition

Chicken or egg?
Is the goal of participants in Nascar brand recognition or does the homogenous nature of the Nascar racecar only provide brand recognition?
If you really follow the sport you'll know that the manufacturers dislike the common template because it eliminates any model recognition. That wouldn't be an issue if the primary goal were the brand.

and dtm does not sell cars in the us.

No it doesn't, but LeMans, ALMS and World Challange do. Audi races there.

#13 ·

Quote, originally posted by b2m_vw »
This is where I see NASCAR going......IROC-style racing, same cars, same engines, close racing.

I could see that happening... they def. need something to change things up again... I say take away those stupid restrictor plates... lets see those cars do 200mph again...

Modified by Bronco1138 at 9:15 AM 1-13-2009

#14 ·

By any stretch of the imagination, I can't see VAG even remotely entertaining the thought of Nascar - even moreso now that Porsche is majority stake holder. Nascar embraces blue collar and low tech, while VAG & Porsche are quite opposite in corporate philosophy. Nascar's success hinges on 'American Pride'. VAG really offers nothing to that demographic. You have VAG - Porsche, Audi & Lamborghini, Bentley, Bugatti, etc. There's just no association with Nascar principles/philosophy there - even with liberal wishful thinking. Sure, some Nascar fans like and own VAG/Porsche products, but not enough to sustain or even encourage a VAG factory team.
A Nascar team might make for a smale sales bump for VAG's less expensive cars, but I think it would compromise company principles extraordinarily - and it certainly wouldn't make a return on investment in terms of usable technologies, as VAG/Porsche has already participated in more advanced and more 'road going car technology transfer' racing for decades.
Nascar would be a few steps back technologically, not to mention a decently large and extremely risky financial proposition. It could also alienate a lot of current customers who flat out don't want Nascar association.
It's never going to happen.

#16 ·
Re: audi or vw in nsacar? (DubbersReject)

hey just think it would be sweet to see a some euro since now we have rice.
audi has pulled out of le mans in america is focusing on europe.
and i do not see an iroc style future but i do see a common car and body (the cot already does that) and the motors being "crate motors" must use only the listed parts no modifications alowed built by one nascar shop and sealed by that shop. but still have the choice of ford chevy toyota or dodge.
i know the 4.2 isnt a pushrod but it would not be hard to redesign the topend.

i highly doubt we will see any european cars in nascar only because nascar is looked down upon by those countries. japan has held nascar races and has their own form of stockcar racing using the old cup car design.... but one can only hope.

#17 ·

the casting is a ford 351 or chevy 350 casting from 1970's. it is not loosely based. it is the casting that is than reworked with bigger pistons etc... but the manufact. helps with development $$$$

I know this, but when you park a 350 stockblock casting next to a cup casting that is awaiting parts...they really haven't much in common besides the layout.
The difference between the stock casting and wht most use in local series (like what you run) is negligible, unless you aren't worried about motor tear-downs and have a machinist willing to get a little wild.

#18 ·
Re: audi or vw in nsacar? (Tornado2dr)

I think it's a long shot, but you never know.....

Read this today... http://www.indystar.com/articl...PORTS
Roger Penske said Monday the use of smaller race engines might not be just for the IndyCar Series, which expects to announce its powerplant plans later this month.
The four-cylinder turbocharged configuration that Indy Racing League officials are considering could end up in NASCAR, too.
Advertisement
Quantcast
"I think you'll see that migrate even into NASCAR because that's where we are today," Penske said in a Bloomberg radio interview from the Detroit Auto Show.
Both racing divisions currently use eight-cylinder engines, but economic and environmental concerns are at the root of possible changes, particularly in the passenger car industry.
General Motors and Chrysler have sought government funds to stay in business, and automakers have pledged to develop more fuel-efficient vehicles.
NASCAR is considering the IRL's lead in the use of alternative fuel, but chief executive officer Brian France recently said no major engine changes are planned.
The IRL has been talking to five car manufacturers about engine configurations that will take effect in 2011. Offenhauser built the last four-cylinder engine used in Indy-car racing, winning the Indianapolis 500 24 times between 1934-60.
Penske Racing's 2009 IndyCar driver lineup will be announced at a news conference today.

#19 ·

http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif for turbos in nascar. its an oval tourqe is more fun. plus the cars are making 850 - 900 hp... can a 4cyl do that??? maybe if it came out an evo but a vag 4cyl??? never.

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif for turbos in irl, these will be awesome on the road races! lighter cars do not need the power for speed.

my block was a stock 350, the inside was bored out and the outside shaved, no exra needless materials. if you check out Dart products they sell a race prep block that is becoming a major hit cause it has all this done. even the oil filter mount is gone and forces a drysump system but saves weight on the block.
we are looking at a ford motor for our next engine, it came out of one of the roush busch cars. the only thing that roush had casted themselves was the head. it is a reworked ford block.

#20 ·

http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif for turbos in nascar. its an oval tourqe is more fun. plus the cars are making 850 - 900 hp... can a 4cyl do that???

Yes. Approaching/exceeding 1500bhp, depending on which source you read. BMW. More than 25 years ago - with a 1.5L production block.
Proof? They get a bit specific on the engine at about 2:50 into the clip -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbKLCw6XVrw

Modified by veedub87 at 3:37 PM 1-14-2009

#23 ·
Re: (carracingnut)

Quote, originally posted by carracingnut »
I don't think NASCAR needs to add another manufacturer to the mix. Just my .02.

dodge might be leaving. . . could need another to replace? mos likely now audi or vw. but maybe another. . . honda i can def. see trying to enter

#24 ·
Re: (criminal_mischief)

I just don't see another manufacturer coming into NASCAR. Toyota was in the sport before most people realize. They started with a Celica in NASCAR's Goody's Dash Series in 2000. Honda,VW, or anyone else has had no participation in NASCAR at all, on any level. So if any of them were to come into NASCAR, you'd probably seem them in a smaller series first like Toyota did in the Goody's Dash Series.

Modified by b2m_vw at 1:48 PM 1-21-2009

#25 ·
Re: (criminal_mischief)

dodge might be leaving. . . could need another to replace? mos likely now audi or vw. but maybe another. . . honda i can def. see trying to enter

Being that Honda just pulled out of works motor racing in Formula One, I highly doubt they're going to pursue another avenue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.