Fourtitude.com - Tell me about your garage lighting
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    1. 01-04-2009 10:27 PM #26
      Flat white will have the best reflection, around 95%, this will be the best paint, the gloss and others dont reflect as much as flat white does...
      T8s will be nice, but also if you go into MH lights, they get very hot... and Gary C is very true w/ the spectrum, 5k will be much more bright looking to the eye and give a vetter visibility of the parts... also if you go MH, wire the lighting to 240v and save some money when you run them...
      but we are talking serious garages w/ MH bulbs..

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      2017 F-150 Lariat Supercrew w/3.5 Ecoboost & 10 speed auto, 2015 Nissan XTerra PRO-4X
      01-04-2009 10:34 PM #27
      Quote, originally posted by Nourdmrolnmt »
      Flat white will have the best reflection, around 95%, this will be the best paint, the gloss and others dont reflect as much as flat white does...

Flat paints absorb light, glossier paints reflect light. Paint the exterior trim of your house a dark flat and some a dark semi-gloss and see which lasts longer [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      PS: <----------Professional Painter
      Stock truck dyno: 340 hp, 464 tq

Cars
      One pissed off Golf
      01-05-2009 12:11 AM #28
      in my garage my brother has installed the tube lights and convered the ceiling with LED christmas lights. It looks tight with them all on. We also have multiple of the LED hand tube lights that have the hook on them for the hood.
      GO>SHOW

5. 01-05-2009 12:30 AM #29
      I'm going to be using four of the 500 watt Halogen work lights, mounted from the rafters on the corners of the car. We have a 2 car garage, so when I'm detailing, one car is in the garage, dead center. I would love to have flourescents (and I can get them for free, too - my old job is getting rid of about 250 8-foot fixtures, balasts, and bulbs), but my garage isn't at all wired for it, and I want to be able to use the rafters for storage too. My total setup cost for the halogens is going to be about 50 dollars for 2000 watts of light (and good heat for the winter). $8 per light, a few dollars for cords, and I've got hardware at home.
      Check out the Autopia "Lighting and Storage" forum here: http://www.autopia.org/forum/lighting-storage/

Modified by enim at 9:31 PM 1-4-2009

Cars
      BMP 20th anniversary GTI
      01-05-2009 02:47 AM #30
      you could get some 6' florescents (modern florescents dont buzz) they only buzz when the balasts inside are going out.
      or just get a bunch of 6" recess can lights (they same kind they use inside) they put out plent of light, Just ask your electrician the best layout for the garage and your needs, they'll know ALOT better then the architec that drew up the plans. (when it comes to the lighting layout and your options/choices) I'm an electrician by trade, trust me [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Car history First to Current:

84 Honda Accord / 89 Chevy Beretta / 95 Nissan 240SX / 98 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 (4x4) / 01 Saturn L300 / 99 Dodge Dakota (3.9) / 98 Ford Contour SVT / 94 Honda Accord (stanced) / 03 Mazda B3000 / 03 VW 20th AE GTI (Current)

7. 01-05-2009 03:12 AM #31
      Hey, this is my area - my family owns 4 lighting shops and I've been in the game for 10 years.
      I'd definitely recommend against LED - good ones are very expensive, and still won't give you as much light as fluorescents. In terms of efficiency (i.e. how many lumens per watt a fitting produces), LED's are not as efficient as fluoros are. They do have a very low power consumption but thats also because they produce a low level of light...
      Recessed fluros are quite good, but you will need more of them than surface mounted to get an even light coverage of your garage. As a few people have mentioned, electronic ballasts have the advantage over magnetics because they don't flicker and start the tubes a lot quicker. However, spend the money and get some good ones because we get a lot of failures on the cheap ones which come out of China.
      I agree with TurboSnaab that your architect/builder is not the best person for a lighting layout, but I'd suggest a retailer should be also be a good help. There might be a difference from country to country in expertise - but I find that here a lot of electricians here are good with working out halogens but not as good with the fluoros. Of course though, as a retailer I'll say that we're the right ones and as an electrician TurboSnaab will tell you that they're the right ones...

Cars
      2001 VW Jetta VR6, 2006 VW Jetta 2.5
      01-05-2009 03:16 AM #32
      i just use those tube lights.... are they called florescent?
      mujjuman

Cars
      the big three and a deere
      01-05-2009 09:32 AM #33
      Quote, originally posted by enobar2 &raquo;
      Hey, this is my area - my family owns 4 lighting shops and I've been in the game for 10 years.
      I'd definitely recommend against LED - good ones are very expensive, and still won't give you as much light as fluorescents. In terms of efficiency (i.e. how many lumens per watt a fitting produces), LED's are not as efficient as fluoros are. They do have a very low power consumption but thats also because they produce a low level of light...
      Recessed fluros are quite good, but you will need more of them than surface mounted to get an even light coverage of your garage. As a few people have mentioned, electronic ballasts have the advantage over magnetics because they don't flicker and start the tubes a lot quicker. However, spend the money and get some good ones because we get a lot of failures on the cheap ones which come out of China.
      I agree with TurboSnaab that your architect/builder is not the best person for a lighting layout, but I'd suggest a retailer should be also be a good help. There might be a difference from country to country in expertise - but I find that here a lot of electricians here are good with working out halogens but not as good with the fluoros. Of course though, as a retailer I'll say that we're the right ones and as an electrician TurboSnaab will tell you that they're the right ones...

i approve of this statement, being a Sales Rep for over 50 Commercial and achitectural Lighting manufacturers. I actually handle all of the lighting layouts and designs that come out of our office.
      For a garage i would suggest some Commercial grade (typical Electronic ballast will be 10%>THD) 4ft or 8ft Strip fixtures with T8 lamps (4ft has 2 lamps, 8ft has 4 lamps) and you can easily use a wireguard on them if its in an area that is susceptible to damage.
      key words here:
      -4ft or 8ft Strip fixture (or Wrap - comes with a prismatic lens)
      -T8 Electronic Ballast (10%>THD)
      -4100K or 5000K T8 Lamps (buy a good brand such as Phillips, GE or Osram/Sylvania)
      -Buy a reputable Brand (Lithonia/Canlyte/Metalux,etc) from an Electrical wholesaler, not the Home depot, lowes Imported crap. (just because it says Lithonia/Canlyte/Metalux on it does not mean its commercial quality) you pay a little more but you aren't buying residential quality ballast that tend to cause more noise and let go alot more.
      - you get what you pay for [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Strip fixture:
      http://www.acuitybrandslightin...C.pdf
      Wrapdo not use the 4lamp wide body, stick to a 4ft or 8ft tandem unit for better light spread)
      http://www.acuitybrandslightin...N.pdf
      Alex
      14 Mustang GT | 87 Buick Grand National | 37 Plymouth Coupe | 13 Focus 5door | 13 F250 XLT 6.7

Cars
      '04 GTO
      01-05-2009 09:35 AM #34
      2 dim lightbulbs and a shop light

11. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Cars
      2016 Mazda CX-5  2013 Ford Focus Electric
      01-05-2009 09:36 AM #35
      Quote, originally posted by Nourdmrolnmt &raquo;
      T8s will be nice, but also if you go into MH lights, they get very hot... and Gary C is very true w/ the spectrum, 5k will be much more bright looking to the eye and give a vetter visibility of the parts... also if you go MH, wire the lighting to 240v and save some money when you run them...
      but we are talking serious garages w/ MH bulbs..

But Metal Halide bulbs can implode when they're done with life. Not very consumer friendly.

Cars
      1988 Audi 90 Quattro (out to pasture), 1992 GTI 16V, 2010 Audi TT S-Line
      01-05-2009 10:19 AM #36
      6 48" dual-bulb florescents, white walls, gray floor.

This shot is at night with the door closed

Cars
      All Mazdas: CX-9, 3, Miata
      01-05-2009 10:54 AM #37
      For those in the North: how do the new flourescents work? I have some older ones in my garage, and when it's cold, they flicker...and eventuially start...
      when it's really cold....they don't start...just flicker.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12