Fourtitude.com - 02M Steel Billet Flywheels, Sachs & Clutchnet Clutch Kits -Free Ground Lower 48
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Fourtitude.com


    Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Results 126 to 146 of 146
    1. Banner Advertiser
      Join Date
      Jan 12th, 2005
      Posts
      1,991
      Cars
      92 Corrado SLC , 92 Audi S4
      09-21-2012 02:41 PM #126
      All 02M single mass flywheels will make some sort of clatter or rattle noise at idle, push in the clutch pedal and the noise goes away.
      Last edited by FourSeasonTuning.com; 09-22-2012 at 09:00 PM. Reason: missed ?

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Member mk3_vdub's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 18th, 2006
      Location
      Columbia, MD & Morgantown, WV
      Posts
      3,244
      Cars
      03' 24v GTI VR6, 88 AEB Cabby
      09-22-2012 02:31 PM #127
      if i decide to move up to a stronger pressure plate eventually, will the clutchnet disc that comes with the st1+ be able to handle more power?

    4. 01-15-2013 07:23 AM #128
      I'm looking for a clutch and flywheel for a 3.2 24v that can handle around 700hp -800hp

    5. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 6th, 2001
      Location
      The Acreage, FL
      Posts
      2,852
      Cars
      '11 S4, '10 GTI, '03 VR6 GLI
      02-12-2013 06:05 PM #129
      Thanx btw for the Stage 2 Clutch setup with the lightened flywheel. Impressions next week. . . .

    6. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 15th, 2010
      Location
      Sydney, AUSTRALIA
      Posts
      179
      Cars
      MK4 VR6
      06-12-2014 08:49 PM #130
      which is the cheap clutch you have to fit 4motion 6 speed? engine code AUE
      01 1.8T
      K03s
      Diode Mod

    7. Banner Advertiser
      Join Date
      Jan 12th, 2005
      Posts
      1,991
      Cars
      92 Corrado SLC , 92 Audi S4
      06-13-2014 12:18 PM #131
      Quote Originally Posted by bl33su View Post
      which is the cheap clutch you have to fit 4motion 6 speed? engine code AUE
      I would suggest you contact James via the shop email to discuss your exact needs.
      http://www.fourseasontuning.com/?mid=6

    8. Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 7th, 2010
      Location
      Albany NY
      Posts
      33
      Cars
      2003 VW GTI VR6 24V
      06-13-2014 09:16 PM #132
      reading about people worrying about the chatter makes me at easy, and to bring you guys further to ease, I put it on 40,000 miles ago....still makes chatter but she still grabs and takes off....no known issues cause from the light weight fly wheel or clutch. Tho every garage I go to tries to tell me its something with the slave or throw out barring.

      I really do want to know what the chatter is exactly caused by though.

    9. Banner Advertiser
      Join Date
      Jan 12th, 2005
      Posts
      1,991
      Cars
      92 Corrado SLC , 92 Audi S4
      06-16-2014 03:47 PM #133
      Quote Originally Posted by cstof12 View Post
      reading about people worrying about the chatter makes me at easy, and to bring you guys further to ease, I put it on 40,000 miles ago....still makes chatter but she still grabs and takes off....no known issues cause from the light weight fly wheel or clutch. Tho every garage I go to tries to tell me its something with the slave or throw out barring.

      I really do want to know what the chatter is exactly caused by though.
      Google Self Study Programme 205 or SSP_205.pdf where you'll read about the design of the 02M trans.
      Keep in mind this SSP is written with respect to the early production 02M that has tapered bearings.
      The basic trans design is the same, only that VW is using roller bearings with plastic cages for late model versions.

      You can also Google 02M trans and find videos showing main shaft play, or links to sites discussing the main shaft bearing race issue and someones cheap fix.

      Since each gear rides on a needle bearing when not in use, the rotation of the shaft allows the gear to spin freely unless the sliding sleeve/synchromesh body is engaged.

      I just checked an 02Q trans on our work bench, each sliding gear makes a different noise when spun, some have a higher pitch sound where others are lower.

      The noise is due to the sychro rotating and coming to a rest on the sliding sleeve, the gear will still continue to spin thou.

      A dual mass flywheel masks these noises, but a single mass flywheel brings them to light. Every trans is different and between identical models will have different sounds with the clutch depressed or in neutral.
      Last edited by FourSeasonTuning.com; 06-23-2014 at 03:05 PM.

    10. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 22nd, 2014
      Location
      Shipping WorldWide
      Posts
      26
      07-22-2014 01:27 PM #134

    11. 08-05-2014 07:15 PM #135
      That was very good to read. By your theory, does this chatter (caused by the synchro rotating) cause damage?

      Thanks,

      Quote Originally Posted by FourSeasonTuning.com View Post
      Google Self Study Programme 205 or SSP_205.pdf where you'll read about the design of the 02M trans.
      Keep in mind this SSP is written with respect to the early production 02M that has tapered bearings.
      The basic trans design is the same, only that VW is using roller bearings with plastic cages for late model versions.

      You can also Google 02M trans and find videos showing main shaft play, or links to sites discussing the main shaft bearing race issue and someones cheap fix.

      Since each gear rides on a needle bearing when not in use, the rotation of the shaft allows the gear to spin freely unless the sliding sleeve/synchromesh body is engaged.

      I just checked an 02Q trans on our work bench, each sliding gear makes a different noise when spun, some have a higher pitch sound where others are lower.

      The noise is due to the sychro rotating and coming to a rest on the sliding sleeve, the gear will still continue to spin thou.

      A dual mass flywheel masks these noises, but a single mass flywheel brings them to light. Every trans is different and between identical models will have different sounds with the clutch depressed or in neutral.

    12. Banner Advertiser
      Join Date
      Jan 12th, 2005
      Posts
      1,991
      Cars
      92 Corrado SLC , 92 Audi S4
      08-05-2014 08:28 PM #136
      Chatter/ clatter is a result of a main shaft with excessive play.

      I haven't seen any damaged as a direct result of the spinning gears, unless the gears touch a neighboring stack.
      This causes clutch creep where the vehicle moves forward with the clutch pedal pressed firmly on the floor.

      The damage we see are worn main shaft bearings, and its spinning bearing race.
      If the spinning race is caught in time, and addressed by any number of cheap fixes, it will save you big time.
      If caught late, you are looking at a replacement case, plus shimming every gear stack and diff.

      The other issue with the 02M trans is brass shift forks using roll pins.
      Weak design, but the replacement steel version are just DSG forks.

      This trans is janky by design, so don't expect it to hold up long without routine maintenance.
      Become friends with your trans guy or learn to service it yourself (basic tools and mechanical knowledge and a service manual required).

    13. 08-05-2014 11:44 PM #137
      That is very informational. Thank you.
      When you mentioned main shaft play, do you refer to the two output shafts in lieu of input shaft?
      I have the bentley manual for the car but it has no information regarding the inside of the transmission. Would you like to recommend a manual for the transmission?
      Thanks again for your help. I am set to purchase clutch kit from you when I am ready to reassemble and install.

      Quote Originally Posted by FourSeasonTuning.com View Post
      Chatter/ clatter is a result of a main shaft with excessive play.

      I haven't seen any damaged as a direct result of the spinning gears, unless the gears touch a neighboring stack.
      This causes clutch creep where the vehicle moves forward with the clutch pedal pressed firmly on the floor.

      The damage we see are worn main shaft bearings, and its spinning bearing race.
      If the spinning race is caught in time, and addressed by any number of cheap fixes, it will save you big time.
      If caught late, you are looking at a replacement case, plus shimming every gear stack and diff.

      The other issue with the 02M trans is brass shift forks using roll pins.
      Weak design, but the replacement steel version are just DSG forks.

      This trans is janky by design, so don't expect it to hold up long without routine maintenance.
      Become friends with your trans guy or learn to service it yourself (basic tools and mechanical knowledge and a service manual required).

    14. Member shysty's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 19th, 2010
      Location
      Ontario, California
      Posts
      1,080
      08-06-2014 03:03 PM #138
      up

    15. Banner Advertiser
      Join Date
      Jan 12th, 2005
      Posts
      1,991
      Cars
      92 Corrado SLC , 92 Audi S4
      08-06-2014 04:35 PM #139
      Mainshaft is input shaft.

      Zelek has a manual but its on back order.

      You can also google Volkswagen Workshop Manuals and see if one pops up.

      Or you can get straight from the source at Erwin.
      https://erwin.vw.com/erwin/showOrderFlatrate.do

      Mitchell on Demand and All Data would have it too, they are a subscription service, these are suited for repair shops.

    16. Member shysty's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 19th, 2010
      Location
      Ontario, California
      Posts
      1,080
      09-08-2014 12:06 PM #140
      bump

    17. Member shysty's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 19th, 2010
      Location
      Ontario, California
      Posts
      1,080
      09-10-2014 01:14 PM #141
      bump

    18. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 30th, 2007
      Location
      Quebec, Canada
      Posts
      824
      Cars
      Jetta TDI 03, Corrado 24v 90.
      02-28-2015 08:48 PM #142
      I currently have a clutchmasters stage 1 with FST 20LBS flywheel. I think I made mistake by buying a unsprung clutch. I'm going to do the chains on the car pretty soon, what equivalent sprung clutch disk would you recommand if I decide to replace it ?
      1990 Corrado 3.2L VR6 24v, O2m w/ wavetrac diff. DSS 2.9 Axles, TT downpipes, 42 DD cat, Koni Coilovers.

    19. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 30th, 2007
      Location
      Quebec, Canada
      Posts
      824
      Cars
      Jetta TDI 03, Corrado 24v 90.
      01-15-2016 10:05 PM #143
      What bolts should be used with your SMF flywheel ? I currently use the oem bolts used for DMF they marked the flywheel like if the head of thoses bolts was too narrow. Should I consider using bolts found on the 12V vr that have a larger head or some other bolts ?

      Thanks
      1990 Corrado 3.2L VR6 24v, O2m w/ wavetrac diff. DSS 2.9 Axles, TT downpipes, 42 DD cat, Koni Coilovers.

    20. Member 2003gtivr62.8liter's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 31st, 2009
      Location
      Mt. Sterling, Ohio
      Posts
      507
      Cars
      2003, VW GTI VR6 24v
      01-30-2019 04:07 PM #144
      This is a great company. I have had their stage 1+ kit on my 24v for over 100,000 miles. Figured it was time for a change when I was doing my Timing Chains. I ordered a South Bend Endurance Stage 2 clutch kit and it failed due to their part. I had an engine specialist look at everything and was told that the SB kit failed. SB didn't want anything to do with the warranty because I am not a ASE Certified tech. Talked with FST and they completely understood what happened and supplied me with a nice kit. Only have 350 more miles before I can give it a good thrashing. The feel is way better than the SB kit. Great Company and their flywheel can handle a beating for over 100,000 miles
      2003 VW GTI VR6 24v; Stage2.5 port, supertech internals 3.2 Head, ABD C.A.I., Techtonics Tuning 2" Highflow DP, Cat, Cat-Back w/ Borla Muffler,Neuspeed Power Pulleys; Stage 2 Clutch Kit w/ LW Flywheel; TT 264/260 Cams; UM Tune; ECS Short Shift, Forge Side2side, 42dd shift bushings, VF Engineering mounts, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Neuspeed Upper Strut Bar, FK Rear Upper Stress,KW V2 Coils, Yellow Optima, Raxles...so on

    21. Banner Advertiser
      Join Date
      Jan 12th, 2005
      Posts
      1,991
      Cars
      92 Corrado SLC , 92 Audi S4
      02-02-2019 11:43 PM #145
      Thank you for the nice review. We are glad that we were able to help you out and get you back on the road! If you ever need anything else you know we are always here to help you out.

    22. Banner Advertiser
      Join Date
      Jan 12th, 2005
      Posts
      1,991
      Cars
      92 Corrado SLC , 92 Audi S4
      Today 09:41 AM #146

    Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •