14K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  criminal_mischief 
#1 ·
delete

visit
russomotorsports.com
Modified by criminal_mischief at 9:35 PM 3-28-2010

Modified by criminal_mischief at 9:36 PM 3-28-2010

#3 ·
Re: Ryan Russo - Ashphalt Modified - 2008 Build (Tornado2dr)

no we buy our chassis from a builder. we have assembled the car before. and our motors are also done professionally

#4 ·
Re: Ryan Russo - Ashphalt Modified - 2008 Build (criminal_mischief)

Quote, originally posted by criminal_mischief »
no we buy our chassis from a builder. we have assembled the car before. and our motors are also done professionally

Cool.
Any good in-race photos? I haven't seen too many asphalt mods in action. Most of the modified races I have seen have been dirt.

#5 ·
Re: Ryan Russo - Ashphalt Modified - 2008 Build (Tornado2dr)

well i've gotta scan some than the ones on my comp aren't action shots. we bought some from the track photographer that are good shots tho.
type in nascar modified in a google image search you might find some good ones

#6 ·

sat nov 15 and sat nov 22 are practice dates Turkey Derby at Wall Stadium in NJ. Friday nov 28 and Sat nov 29 are the race dates. The plan is to have the car ready for the first practice we are starting work this week on it. i'll be sure to put up pics and some updates on our progress.

#7 ·

so new update:
car is comming together we are waiting on a new oil tank so we were not able to have the car together for today's practice but i think it was rained out anyway.
we put the old body on back on the car because we want to save the new doors and quarters for next season.. but we did not get the passenger door or a pillar with the car. so we may be making a new door for the old body or hanging the new stuff anyway. picks comming tonight of the car. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#10 ·

oil tank came. only problem is our system has 2 scavenge lines and our tank has only 1 return hole.
dry sump loop:
oil tank - Line - pump -line - filter - block - pan - 2 lines to the pump than 2 filtered lines to the tank.
this is how the previous team ran the system we are keeping as this for now. and just getting a Y fitting to bring the 2 lines to 1
when we rerun everything there will be an oil cooler before the block and a log fitting on the pump so only 1 line has to go back to the tank. shortening all the lines = more power and reducing lines = less weight. So add another project for the winter, damn that list jsut keeps gettin longer

#11 ·
#12 ·

The manifold for the oil return lines are great, but also a pita. If the manifold isn't welded or develops a crack, oil gets everywhere. And getting the fittings tight suck as well. I recommend running cool tubes also for the oil lines. They are lighter than steel-braided hoses, aid in cooling, and not many people run them. Keep an eye out on Ebay for kevlar lines. If you're lucky you can find some just the right length.
I would also recommend running in-line filters coming out of the pan in addition to the line going into the block. Pay a little now, or a lot later.

#13 ·
Re: Ryan Russo - Ashphalt Modified - 2008 Build (GreenandChrome)

Quote, originally posted by GreenandChrome »
The manifold for the oil return lines are great, but also a pita. If the manifold isn't welded or develops a crack, oil gets everywhere. And getting the fittings tight suck as well. I recommend running cool tubes also for the oil lines. They are lighter than steel-braided hoses, aid in cooling, and not many people run them. Keep an eye out on Ebay for kevlar lines. If you're lucky you can find some just the right length.
I would also recommend running in-line filters coming out of the pan in addition to the line going into the block. Pay a little now, or a lot later.

thanks for the advice but the hose is kevlar with a steel braiding around it. wont skimp on the oil lines, if the pump sucks one shut then there goes your motor. plus its all inside the car, no cooling going on and the lines are filtered 3 times in this set up. the hoses we will be changing to are aluminum tubing. lighter and stronger than any hose. It is how lines are run in airplanes
and the Y manifold is only for one race lolafter that i'm getting one of the better ones that go directly to the pump. used them before with no issues.

Modified by criminal_mischief at 3:00 PM 11-18-2008

#14 ·

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASCAR_Modified
some information on the kind of cars and history of the division. look at some of the names listed, jimmy spencer, tom baldwin, allison, hendrick,, Harry Grant, and Richie Evans. This series has been the breading grounds for NASCAR stars for many years and many of the now called legands of the sport cut their teeth in a modified.

#15 ·

so we did not make the tight time frame to get the car out to the turkey derby for practice. Not a big deal we were going to shake it down since the car hasnt seen the track in a year but it doesn't matter.
We are going to be pulling the motor out and sending it out to the motor builder, RPM Engines in PA to get a rebuild soon. rings and bearings in the bottom end, new heads, and a new intake manifold; looking for 600hp for the comming season. Pairing that up with a quatermaster 5.5inch 3disk V-drive clutch pack for less power loss at the wheels. Passenger door and A-pillar are getting replaced and the car is going to get repainted for the next season. We have all new brake calipers and rotors ready. Also, new shocks, springs and sway bar are on the to be ordered list.

#16 ·

motor is up at the engine builder's shop right now. RPM in leighton PA.
it is getting a new stefs oilpan, dart platinum iron eagle heads with port work, shaft mounted roller rockers, new ported intake manifold, new aluminum carb spacer, valve covers with oil squirters, normal rubuild (rings bearings lifers etc) and maybe a new cam if needed.
looking forward to the up coming season. tracks still have not posted schedules yet. although we do have our sponsorship packages together and are looking for sponsors. Any business owners reading this; packages range from $500 - $10,000.
check out our myspace page that is up and running at myspace.com/ryanrusso
our offical webpage is under construction and will be up soon

#18 ·
Re: Ryan Russo - Ashphalt Modified - 2008 Build (b2m_vw)

not much, i am going to arizona next weekend and my dad will prob. pick the motor while i am gone. been working on organizing the garage right now not much left to do to the car. motor and than set up. we decided to have an entire new body on once the motor is in

#21 ·
Re: FV-QR (NHKid)

sorry it's been so long since i post up any updates we've been crazy busy trying to get the car ready. had two races so far, I'll get some pics up as soon as i load them into photobuket.
we raced at mahoning valley on April 25 (missed the opening 100 lap race so we did a regular show 35 lap race there the next week). Car wasn't handling well in the qualifying race just too tight in the turns; got into the feature but started dead last. The feature had about six cautions in 2 laps. In the last on i went low ad avoided to cars the got together but someone else decided to was good time to pull low and off the track. they hit me right in my right front tire and broke the stearing rack right out of the car and i was done.
May 9th was a 100 lap race at Wall we were ok in practice and than qualified 16th but in the feature the sun went down and the track got much tighter than we expected and we were very slow i couldn't get the car to turn for anything. after two pit stops didn't fix the problem and we were 2 laps down within the first ten laps the track decided we couldn't maintain min. speed and we were done.
While back at the shop this week we decided to change our rear springs which should make the car free now and also found that the left front was binding up and we did not have enough gear in the car at wall. all will be fixed for this weekend another race at mahoning valley and an update will follow. lets hope we got the new car bugs worked out now they say third times a charm

--Ryan

#22 ·
Re: FV-QR (criminal_mischief)

just put the vinal on the car this weekend, i'll have some pics of it up soon. looks a lot better than ductape numbers thats for sure http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#23 ·
Re: FV-QR (criminal_mischief)

sorry for the huge delay in updates. been real busy. i got pics from some other races this year and some shots of the car we just bought.
the year didn't go as well as we would have liked really struggled with the set-up all year and a lack of funding we had to cut out some races and shorten our season. we got some help from a local guy who went over our setup for turkey derby at wall thanksgiving weekend and the car was much better unfortunately the trans blew up and overheated the clutch in practice, we were able to borrow one from another team but didn't make the race. with the new set up we will be much better next year.
plans are to race at wall stadium all year and our second car will be getting a sportsman motor and my sister stephanie will race it. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif next year looks good for us the car we just bought will be getting lots of upgrades over the winter and a new motor ill keep everyone posted on the progress. but for right now we are working on getting the website up, looking for sponsors and ordering parts. thanks for the support i'll let everyone know when the website is up and running we will have a way to order stickers and shirts once its done
but for now here are some pictures of the year

AND OUR NEW CAR THIS ONE IS A 2000 TROYER and the one i will be driving next year.

pulling off the old sponsors and getting it ready for turkey derby

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.