Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gun safes

1. 09-22-2008 07:43 PM #1
      im in the market for a gun safe
      i was all set to get a browning, and then this was brought to my attention:
      http://www.patriotsafe.com/gun-safes-28wide.html
      looks freakin baller, and at a price point that beats the **** out of browning
      anyone have any experience?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 09-22-2008 07:59 PM #2
      Gun safes are like hiding boobs in a bra; totally uncool.

4. 09-22-2008 08:06 PM #3
      i travel a LOT, and dont want my boobs stolen.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2005 Jetta Wagon TDI manuel 1.5 Malone, 2014 Tiguan 4MO
      09-22-2008 08:13 PM #4
      Doesn't mattress = gun safe?

7. 09-22-2008 08:13 PM #5

8. 09-22-2008 08:49 PM #6
      Quote, originally posted by Ghost of VW TANK »

I agree.
      It just helps me rest easy knowing that whoever might wander in my house doesn't easily have access to my guns.
      Especially because I have a roommate, and do not know all of their friends. Or when I go out of town, etc.

09-22-2008 09:33 PM #7
      That is a pretty nice price.

Modified by seoulstice at 5:42 PM 9-22-2008

Cars
      2014 Cayman S, 1996 Ford Bronco EB
      09-23-2008 01:19 AM #8
      Quote, originally posted by 2002_Turbo »
      Gun safes are like hiding boobs in a bra; totally uncool.

Owning guns and NOT having a safe is uncool...and totally irresponsible.

11. 09-23-2008 01:21 AM #9
      Quote, originally posted by .:RDriver »
      Owning guns and NOT having a safe is uncool...and totally irresponsible.

I know Jim. I'm playing.

Cars
      03 1.8t Jetta, 90 wolfsburg Jetta, 85 GLi
      09-23-2008 02:28 AM #10
      I got a liberty lincoln safe. Its nice but my buddy has one of those patriots and his is bigger and equally nice and cost less then mine. Guess I shouldn't have bought from a show room

Cars
      86 GTI 2.0L, 88 Scirocco 16V, 2010 F150 STX
      09-23-2008 09:27 AM #11
      i was all set to get a browning, and then this was brought to my attention:
      http://www.patriotsafe.com/gun-safes-28wide.html

No experience with either of them, but based on the specs, I think I would go for the Patriot over the Browning.
      Looking at the Browning, it looks to be much like the Winchester brand safe from Sams Club that I have, 12ga body, roughly the same ratings and weight and so on.... but the Browning is $1100+ and the Winchester is under $700
      http://www.samsclub.com/shoppi...89761
      I have one of the Sams Club Winchester units, sans the Winchester Horse Rider decal (I left the Winchester name decal, but the horse I removed), and I like it well enough.
      I've piled a good bit of weight on the shelves and they're OK, it opens and closes smoothly, sounds good when it shuts, and for the price is OK.
      Everything discussed thus far in this thread aren't safes though, they're "Residential Security Containers" and are rated as such.
      For a real safe, a company like Graffunder can help. Not cheap, not light, but a real safe. I'll eventually get one, but for now what I have will do. http://graffundersafes.com/
      RSCs stop kids, crackheads, and snatch and grab house burglars. They sure won't stop anyone who really wants into your safe. There are videos online showing the ease at which you can get into one with a fire axe, it punches right through the side of them and is compromised that way.
      Anything is better than nothing, and if it slows them down, that often makes the difference in them moving on or not, so even a RSC is good [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Modified by Broke at 8:28 AM 9-23-2008
      020 trans info pages - www.BrokeVW.com
      NEW 0.7619 5th gears for the 020
      NEW 020 reverse gears
      '86 GTI 8V 2.0L -'88 Scirocco 16V - '10 F150 4x4

14. 09-23-2008 10:18 PM #12
      Quote, originally posted by Broke »
      RSCs stop kids, crackheads, and snatch and grab house burglars. They sure won't stop anyone who really wants into your safe. There are videos online showing the ease at which you can get into one with a fire axe, it punches right through the side of them and is compromised that way.

That video was an eye opener. It would help a lot if it was bolted to a cement basement floor in a corner where it would be much harder to use tools around it.
      The fire dept. doesn't have any problem getting into one of those Big Box models
      http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=4018140

Dave.

Cars
      e36/8 M
      09-24-2008 10:40 PM #13
      I have a cheap crappy safe but it's bolted to a cement floor. I figure it will deter most people. You could cut right through it with an angle grinder which I have conveniently located in the next room but most people won't take the time or the risk of creating a lot of noise. When I move to a more permanent location I'm going to spend quite a bit of money on a safe.

16. 10-30-2008 03:51 PM #14
      Any safe made with a 10 gauge bode is never enough. Here is an example that will prove my point. http://www.sturdysafe.com/gaugethicknesswar.htm
      Searching {gun safe break-ins} will also show more liberties broken into.
      Patriot gun safes are CHINESE MADE JUNK, just like LIBERTY OR BROWNING.
      If 10 gauge steel is all a safe manufacturer offers, it's not a safe company going for security, but looks.
      Patriot does not have a good score on bbb.com and if you could look up browning or liberty I bet there scores would suck too.

17. 10-30-2008 03:59 PM #15
      Quote, originally posted by huntingfool1 »
      Any safe made with a 10 gauge bode is never enough. Here is an example that will prove my point. http://www.sturdysafe.com/gaugethicknesswar.htm
      Searching {gun safe break-ins} will also show more liberties broken into.
      Patriot gun safes are CHINESE MADE JUNK, just like LIBERTY OR BROWNING.
      If 10 gauge steel is all a safe manufacturer offers, it's not a safe company going for security, but looks.
      Patriot does not have a good score on bbb.com and if you could look up browning or liberty I bet there scores would suck too.

golfstrom1, is that you?

Cars
      '09 GTI
      10-30-2008 04:21 PM #16
      I go by the rule, "the best place to hide something is in plain view." Thus I disguise my guns to look like house plants, lamp posts, and telephones.
      -Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to speed around the city, keeping its speed over fifty, and if its speed dropped, the bus would explode! I think it was called, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."

Cars
      B7 TDI
      10-31-2008 05:40 AM #17

And he's got some impressive ones.
      Gone and missed: '03 Mk4 1.8T 5M GL wagon, '01 B5 V6 GLX wagon, '96 FZJ80, '89 16v GLI, '84 Scirocco, '81 Scirocco S, '80 HiLux 4x4, '77 Kawi Enduro, '74 sparkling green Schwinn Stingray.

20. 04-09-2009 10:36 AM #18
      update:
      i placed an order for the closet model 2 days ago. the people were super nice, and it should be here sometime in the next 2 weeks.
      $1,498 w/ curbside delivery.....the regular closet model ($1,199) came to a little over $1300 w/ curbside, so for $175 i upgraded to the closet model with 2 hour fire protection instead of 1, 3 hinges instead of 2, and 14 door bolts instead of 10
      not a bad deal, imo
      when i get it ill post a review

21. 04-09-2009 11:02 AM #19
      EDIT: Removed.

Cars
      '12 Volvo C30, '82 pair of tired feet
      04-09-2009 12:52 PM #20
      What do people who live in apartments have? I've seen things that kinda rope-lock them all into a corner onto something sturdy, but I'm not sure how secure that would be...
      "You're out of you're mind"
      "That's between me and my mind..."

23. 04-09-2009 01:31 PM #21
      Without going into too many details...I break up my guns into important components, which are easy to hide - then I also use my airsoft guns are kept in my rifle bags, whilst my real guns are hidden.
      You have to get inventive. Most break ins dont have a lot of time. They'll run through stuff quickly, so the more sneaky you are at hiding/disguising/disassembling them - the better off you are.
      Keep one assembled for defense of course...

Cars
      2008 VW GTI
      04-09-2009 02:30 PM #22
      I have been looking at Liberty safes. There is a store about 30mins from me who is a dealer. I need to stop in one day and take a look around. I am in the process of buying my first home and need to purchase a safe.
      PSN: Glock23man

25. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Cars
      2002 Carrera, 2012 Kia Soul
      04-09-2009 03:26 PM #23
      Quote, originally posted by delta v »
      What do people who live in apartments have? I've seen things that kinda rope-lock them all into a corner onto something sturdy, but I'm not sure how secure that would be...

ask .:Rdriver to show you the system i set up... if he still has the info. it works well. i'm sorry i don't have the pics here with me in Iraq.
      obin
      "We're society's crowbar. They hate us, they never want to acknowledge the dirty jobs they give us to do, but when the job is done they never throw us away - they just slip us back in the toolbox until they need us the next time. And there will always be a next time."-Jim Hooper. Beneath the Visiting Moon: Images of Combat in Southern Africa

26. Member
      Cars
      2019 Golf R
      04-09-2009 09:55 PM #24

27. 04-09-2009 10:46 PM #25
      Quote, originally posted by Broke »
      No experience with either of them, but based on the specs, I think I would go for the Patriot over the Browning.
      Looking at the Browning, it looks to be much like the Winchester brand safe from Sams Club that I have, 12ga body, roughly the same ratings and weight and so on.... but the Browning is $1100+ and the Winchester is under $700
      http://www.samsclub.com/shoppi...89761
      I have one of the Sams Club Winchester units, sans the Winchester Horse Rider decal (I left the Winchester name decal, but the horse I removed), and I like it well enough.
      I've piled a good bit of weight on the shelves and they're OK, it opens and closes smoothly, sounds good when it shuts, and for the price is OK.
      Everything discussed thus far in this thread aren't safes though, they're "Residential Security Containers" and are rated as such.
      For a real safe, a company like Graffunder can help. Not cheap, not light, but a real safe. I'll eventually get one, but for now what I have will do. http://graffundersafes.com/
      Anything is better than nothing, and if it slows them down, that often makes the difference in them moving on or not, so even a RSC is good [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Modified by Broke at 8:28 AM 9-23-2008

I have the exact same safe, and I'm equally impressed with mine.
      Great buy! Great peace of mind!
      Peach Blossom - Team My Little Pony

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast