Fourtitude.com - Grass seed and netting
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Cars
      2010 VW GTI
      07-08-2008 08:32 PM #1
      We had new seed put down in the back yard and that netting-like net was placed down to help keep the seeds down so they don't wash away.
      Should I pickup the netting and start cutting the grass since it is probable 3-4" long in areas? Afterwards, do the whole fertilizer/crab killer Ortho thing?
      Step 1: Calm down about the CEL, embrace it, it adds more color to the instrument cluster

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      vaudi
      07-10-2008 09:26 PM #2

If it's like 4" or so...give it a mow.....not too short. Also, do a starter fertilizer and hold off on any herbicides or crab grass treatments until after the 3rd cut. If you've got some thin areas a little overseeding can't hurt.

4. 07-15-2008 09:04 AM #3
      Quote, originally posted by vwsteve »
      If it's like 4" or so...give it a mow.....not too short. Also, do a starter fertilizer and hold off on any herbicides or crab grass treatments until after the 3rd cut. If you've got some thin areas a little overseeding can't hurt.
      make sure you cut only 1/3 off the grass blades each time. also overseeding and starter fertilizer for the thin areas. don't cut your grass type too short as it will expose the roots to the sun and kill off your grass, the shade will encourage deep roots.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      originR
      07-16-2008 10:39 PM #4
      Ha.. no-one answered the OP's question about the netting.. and common sense tells me to leave it there otherwise you will tear up your nice new lawn.

07-17-2008 11:51 AM #5
      Quote, originally posted by gintaras »
      Ha.. no-one answered the OP's question about the netting.. and common sense tells me to leave it there otherwise you will tear up your nice new lawn.

You are correct. The grass has probably grown thru/in/around the netting, and the netting is just going to have to degrade over time. Mow High and you shouldn't worry about getting it caught and ripping it all up.
      The point of the netting is to keep the seed in place until it germinates, and to decompose as the grass establishes. Most of the time it decomposes too slowly.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio!
      They make my ass look pretty.

8. Member
      Cars
      2003/GTI/VR6 24v
      06-19-2013 02:11 PM #6
      I never noticed they had a section for this. Saw this post on google while searching myself. Was like why are they talking about that on a VW site???