VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

For those looking to reduce the TT's weight

48K views 86 replies 30 participants last post by  JoshFerguson 
#1 ·
the factory side skirts are made of sheetmetal and weigh 10lbs each . my Rieger skirts are about 2 pounds each, so another 16lbs you can shave going aftermarket.
Edit : I'm linking this thread : lets update it.
Weight Savings ( This is an estimate , it might very depending on the brand of products you choose)
Ditching rear seats = 40 lbs
Factory side skirts to Rieger = 16lbs
Light weight Battery = ~40 lbs
Lightweight bucket seats = ~80 lbs
Brakes =~15 lbs
counter weight = 35lbs
225 crossover pipe (controversal) = 10lbs
Lightweight wheels & Tires =~ 50 lbs total
Spare donut = 32lbs (someone confirm the weight I don't have a spare)
this is awesome there is about 300 lbs to lose here in simple mods here , retaining all confort items , ac stereo , insulation etc..

Modified by 1.8Tabamoura at 5:36 PM 4-10-2008

Modified by 1.8Tabamoura at 5:37 PM 4-10-2008

See less See more
#28 ·
Re: (1.8Tabamoura)

Quote, originally posted by 1.8Tabamoura »
Is it possible to gut the Haldex and make a 225 FWD? If so do you guys think that loosing all this weight will be more beneficial than having AWD ? what about weight distribution without the haldex ?

If you do that, just sell your TTq and get a GTI. The whole point is AWD

#30 ·
Re: (cdougyfresh)

Quote, originally posted by cdougyfresh »
i assume everyone knows this... but dont forget about the huge weight under the rear bumper.

on the quattro those are kind of light, the rear at least. Also another nice weight reduction is the oem exhaust. I did remove the insulation from under the carpet and gained 1lbs lmao (that stuff did not weight anything).
Besides that you have a few more things, flywheel as mentioned, secondary air injection and maybe some of the emmissions crap, washer fluid bottle under the fender. Also removing the wheel wells (though not recommended for a daily driver).

#32 ·
Re: (1.8Tabamoura)

Quote, originally posted by 1.8Tabamoura »

good, I have seen good 16 lbs wheels so I will trow it as average , and light tires are about the same , so average you can save about 10 to 15 lbs per wheel. so lets average it at 50 lbs

That's a bit optimistic - more like 5 to 8lbs per wheel - which is a 30lb savings at most unless you get into real lightweight racing wheels.

#33 ·
Re: (vaultpsu)

Quote, originally posted by vaultpsu »
In college, a lot of my friends were plastics majors and could make and create just about anything in the school plastics labs.
Wish I could have afforded my car way back then, and had a need for all their skills!

Now I know who to make friends with when I'm up there

#37 ·
Re: (l88m22vette)

Quote, originally posted by l88m22vette »
I wanna see how you get to 2650 cincy - If you make your goal, please (for the love of God) post a how-to

Im fwd so im only starting with 2910lbs. The more of this stuff to remove, the easier and lighter i can make it. Its a great way to make it faster and get better mpg.

#40 ·
Re: (l88m22vette)

Quote, originally posted by l88m22vette »

If you do that, just sell your TTq and get a GTI. The whole point is AWD

no, I don't like the GTI body . Plus there are tons of thems out there, I got to a show , I see 5 TTs and a gazilion of GTIS and I don't think that the Haldex is that good anyway. IF there was a 225 with 6 speed and FWD I would buy that instead of the AWD . I'm seriously thinking in going the same route as Cincy , selling my 225 and getting an 180 FWD to start light then going the big turbo route. well see.

Modified by 1.8Tabamoura at 2:37 PM 4-11-2008

#43 ·
Re: (joe@vwvortex)

not sure why gear ratios have to do with what i said unless you are giving more info.
My point was: They hold power better (212mm/228mm vr6 upgrade vs 240mm for the 02M) and shift better in the 7k+ range.

Modified by cincyTT at 8:17 PM 4-11-2008

#45 ·
Re: (cincyTT)

Quote, originally posted by cincyTT »
not sure why gear ratios have to do with what i said unless you are giving more info.
My point was: They hold power better (212mm/228mm vr6 upgrade vs 240mm for the 02M) and shift better in the 7k+ range.

Modified by cincyTT at 8:17 PM 4-11-2008

Simply more info - but sorry that wasn't obvious - and in need of being questioned.

#48 ·
Re: (joe@vwvortex)

ok, a few weight savings were missed, the stock exhaust and or pretty much anything you buy aftermarket are heavy as hell. if you trimed it down, you could save 40ish lbs. from memory, my stock muffler was 27lbs alone. a/c system could net 30ish lbs if you remove everything to include your a/c radiator.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.