VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Bonneville Speed Week.

14K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  ngthanh 
#1 ·
Anyone on here run a VW at Bonny?
I know there is a caddy that runs, I think it went over 100 mph on a 1.5L
Anyone else follow or run anything there?
They opened a new class for Supercharged/turbocharged Pushrod V-twins with full fairings, and no one has run it yet. It's still open.
Just curious. They also have a 36hp stock VW beetle class, and open classes.

#3 ·
Re: Bonneville Speed Week. (cetanepusher)

I have met the guy that runs the Rabbit truck @ Bonneville. He is from Wyoming. He has records in the 1.5L and 1.7L classes I believe. I think the 1.5L he got up to about 125mph!

I've thought about my Rabbit project for Bonneville, but I'm putting a 2.0L 16Vturbo in it and I think there is insane competition/records in that class.

#4 ·
Re: Bonneville Speed Week. (kindbudz91G60)

There are so many classes it's ridiculous. The thing is though, it's not so much as trying to set a record, but more of a what can your idea of a vehicle do.
Where else to you get to see how FAST, your car can really go, and get timeslips for it. Hell if you do set a record, you did it at the fastest speed contest in the world.
Run what ya Brung, as fast as it can go, plus they give ya 5+ miles to do it.

#6 ·
Re: Bonneville Speed Week. (Tornado2dr)

They have so many classes it's insane. The tough part is they won't determine it for you. You need to know what class your running in, and do all the research to find out the rules. (which are somewhat stretchable)
They just opened a full fairing v-twin supercharged pushrod class, and there is no records yet. No one has even attempted to run in the class. Basially you could go out there, run 80 mph on your full fairing supercharged buell, and set the record.

#7 ·

After some more research I see that my Corrados would fall in the Production Supercharged classes. I just don't know what the engine classification codes mean i.e. Engine classes allowed are C, D, E, F, G, H , I, and J.
Anyone with a rulebook that will tell me what the engine codes are? Then I can see what the record is in my class, and decide to pursue it further.
I'm definitly thinking about going to this in August. At least I can get in the 130mph or 150mph club. I've pushed my raddo to about 145-150 on blacktop, but they say the salt is a lot harder to do this on.

#8 ·

Update:
Class G is 93-122 cubic inches.
1.8L = 110 ci
2.0L = 122 ci
The record in this class F/PS which either of my VW's would fall into is 203 mph!! That's trucking in a VW. My problem is that I don't have the power to do a pull above about 150...

Creative gears are turning in my head...

#9 ·

Quote, originally posted by kindbudz91G60 »
Update:
Class G is 93-122 cubic inches.
1.8L = 110 ci
2.0L = 122 ci
The record in this class F/PS which either of my VW's would fall into is 203 mph!! That's trucking in a VW. My problem is that I don't have the power to do a pull above about 150...

Creative gears are turning in my head...

You would have plenty of power, your gearing is just way off. to do that in your car, your going to need a crazy low final drive, and require a push start.

#11 ·

I think the transmission used in the old dodge colts are interchangeable. I read somewhere that you could bolt the colt's automatic's to the VW engines. Maybe the manual's are the same way? if so I know they have all kinds of final drives availiable for those, as they were used by Shelby in a number of performance stuff.

#16 ·
Re: Bonneville Speed Week. (SoCal_SFVR6)

Bonneville is like Indy, a turning point in any motorheads life.
I saw Bobby Rahal win Indy when I was 10, and it made me a gearhead for life.
I went to Bonny once, and swore that when I got a chance to come back, it would be driving something to go fast. I almost took the Aprilia, just to get certified and see how fast she would go.
The Wifey shot that down. I almost went anyways, but couldn't get the fairing in time.

#17 ·

Cetane, the Bonneville class you are looking for is the 130 Mile Per Hour Club put on by the USFRA (Utah Salt Flat Racing Association) each September during their annual World of Speed event. Go to http://www.saltflats.com for all of the current information.
I do the 36hp Challenge you referred to and their 130 Club is great and growing. This year there were about 4 Watercooled VW's and 11 Air cooled VW's plus all of the others. 10 Mini club owners make it an annual event as do the 36ers.
Lots of fun. Come join us...............
Burly

#18 ·
Re: Bonneville Speed Week. (36hplandspeedracer)

Ive been going to landspeed races since i was a baby.. I have pictures of me in a walker at el mirage (where it all started btw)..
This is my Grandpas car.. Any idiot can stick a rat motor in a roadster and do 200..Its really that easy with 600 ci lol.. Not for my him though. the car might look like your normal modified roadster but once you start looking at it you can see that it only has 6cyl and a rather strange looking exhaust system.. oh and wait the wrong wheels are moving the car
.. Landspeed racing is all about the records..If there werent braggin rights there wouldnt be any reason to run . also i sat and talked to the owner of the ex neuspeed sponsored caddy about aerodynamics and 8v motors. The motor he runs is a conveted diesel 1.5 n/a now .. Not sure what he is running in the non boosted class but i guess it runs pretty good. He claims the a pillar oem fairing gave him 3mph at the traps
He lives in Lancaster ca btw.
some pics from last time i went.
Grandpas car.. modified roadster.. went 205.. Has a toyota 2jz running on 18lbs with a 100shot attached to a jerico 4spd with a quickchange diff. It is front wheel drive. Holds 4 records.

Rabbit truck.

someones braggin rights

My fav vehicle that day..see if you can tell me what it is

My old dry lake machine.. I saw about 150 out of it before everyone got there that day

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.