VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

The Quattro gets it's long overdue restoration.

128K views 265 replies 33 participants last post by  Sepp 
#1 ·
This was supposed to take place 3-4 years ago..but the past 3 years have flown by, with myself having just enough time to spend on the fluctuating fleet of Audi's to keep (some of) them running.
Well now is the time to get the ur Quattro to the way I want it.
The spray paint job was supposed to be on the car no longer than 2 years, but it's been 5.
Yes, if you're just joining this forum, I rattle canned the car years ago.
You can grab a frosty beverage, and read this first...
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2940260

So the car might look good on film, but it takes a lot of wax, and photos sometimes give cars more credit than what's due.
Case in point.

But daily driving the car for 5 years, with two trips across the country, and the fact that the paint is from a spray can, it can do quite a bit of wear, and tear.
This along with the fact that I never really got to spend much attention to the interior, the car really deserves an overhaul.
This will be slow going, so check back...I'll be here for a while.

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: The Quattro gets it's long overdue restoration. (Sepp)

I wish you had a wider angle lens! It seems like whenever I take or see a great picture of a great car, part of it gets cut off because I can't back up enough!

Waiting on pics .... you're going with they graphite grey? I'd like two Urs - both the same - one to drive, and one to take pictures of - both graphite grey with Euro bumpers, white interior. Only difference would be that I'd probably do a swap for the upcoming TT-RS motor for the driving one.
Alas, kein Geld.

#3 ·
Re: The Quattro gets it's long overdue restoration. (Entwerfer des Audis)

A Vortex sister took that shot above, and I use it all the time becuase I love the exposure setting she used.
I agree with you on the whole 2 urQ thing.
One to drive, the other to just look at, and polish.
My first move was to make a list of all the problems the car has that I'll be adressing.
Daily driving the car in 4 seasons for a few years was really tough on the car.

The rear wheel wells have been a royal pain since I've owned the car.
They folded over the sheet metal on the later models, and no matter how many times I've been in there to seal up the lip, it always gets crap, and water in there, and rusts.
The worst side is the divers side.

A small amount on the passengers side, but not as much

The rear valence/bumper surround is warping a bit oddly

The roof is the worst of the paint. It's a victim of a poor prep job, and a hellish hail storm I encounterd while driving across the country this summer. The whols car is suffering from paint problems....no duh!

I never did get the interior started years ago.
The seats look scarry, but are still very comfortable.
The steering wheel needs the leather replaced as well.
And a new carpet is here, waiting for the right time to go in.

The drivers side door card is a bit beat, plus the pocket has been missing for years.

The underside of the hood needs to have the dynamat removed before paint.

The engine needs a good cleaning/detailing/painting

And the heater controll valve in the engine bay has a small leak.

On top of all of the above, I'll be replacing the heater core, the driveshaft bearing, the passenger side window switch, and overhauling the rear calipers/discs.

#4 ·

No garage+living in the Northeast+wintertime crap weather=working on car in a snails pace. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
But I removed all of the Dynamat from under the hood!
Weeeeeee!
One can see the original color of the car beyond the removed over coats of red

Modified by Sepp at 3:29 PM 2-26-2008

#6 ·

So the weather cleared enough to get outside for a bit.
The car has been fogging up it's windows for a long time, and I've been putting off changing out the heater core. Till now.
The tell-tale sign, if fogged up windows were not obvious.
The blue stain on the carpet in the pass. side foot well.

Pulled off the glove box to access the fun times ahead.

Need to go in from the top to drop the AC coils, which are in the way inside the car.

Had to disconect the refrigerant line to get the unit out of the way.
Yes, I made sure the line wasn't charged.
It's bad for the environment, and could really mess a person up in a closed space.

Pop the cover off the heater core, and there it is. Ready to be yanked out.
I still have to order a replacement, plus hoses etc. so it's staying in the car for now.

#8 ·
Re: (eurowner)

Sepp,
I really like the picture of your car with the snow on it, looks very cool http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif i have been meaning to change the heater core on my 86 4kq since I got the car 3+ years ago. Glad to see you are starting to work on her. I know I have said this again and again but watching the work you have performed to the body makes me SOOOOO glad that I got a car from Cali. I was aware that they rusted out as their whole claim to fame was AWD and winter driving supremecy, but I had no idea just how many problem areas the cars suffered from that other cars do not. The complete lack of front inner fender liners was something that came as a suprise to me when I obtained the car. I thought that for some reason the PO removed them, come to find out that Audi never thought that it would be a good idea to install them
Also, being an 85, they have the rolled rear fenders which is yet another place to rust. We really need to meet up one of these years and let the 85's get it on, maybe they will have little TT babies

#10 ·
Re: (Quattro Krant)

Quote, originally posted by Quattro Krant »
Sepp,
I had no idea just how many problem areas the cars suffered from that other cars do not. The complete lack of front inner fender liners was something that came as a suprise to me when I obtained the car. I thought that for some reason the PO removed them, come to find out that Audi never thought that it would be a good idea to install them
Also, being an 85, they have the rolled rear fenders which is yet another place to rust.

Yeah. My front fenders were galvanized,(yours should be as well, as your car was built later than mine) but earlier cars have serious problems up there. In fact Audi didn't even paint the joining areas where the fender meets the subframe....so if the tops of the fenders are rusting, your subframe is rusting as well.
The only rusty spot I contend with (besides the trunk) is the rear rolled fenders.
They are such a pain in the ass.
I fix them, and think I have them sealed up properly, and sure enough more rust comes back.
I'll have to do some really aggressive work on these before paint, so the monster doesn't come back.
I'm sure we'll meet up eventually, I'm planning on getting down to Carlisle regardless what color(s) the car is in.

#12 ·

Moving at a snails pace...
I gutted the trunk, to check it's condition, and everythings good, especially the well preserved hinges.
I finally took the letters off the rear glass.
Many people got a laugh about those....

#13 ·
Re: (Sepp)

Quote, originally posted by Sepp »
everythings good, especially the well preserved hinges.

I thought mine were good as well, until I popped out the rear glass. That's where I found the rust. It was completely invisible with the rear window in place.

#15 ·

Working with a small break in the weather, I confirmed there was no rust in the trunk hinges.
I removed the rear bumper to check on how my repairs of the past were holding up. So far so good. POR 15 rules!!!!!!!

The bumper skin retainer clips are all missing but just 1 clip...
Add some new ones to the list.
This wil get the rear end to tighten up looks wise a bit.

The car is one step ahead of me in preparation for new paint..
It's shedding the t-red paint.
Again, the original color is revealed.

#16 ·

Took a little time out of building a shed (of which the Quattro will fit in when this project gets more in depth.)
Gutted the rear, to access the insides of the rear fender wells.

The rear arches aren't as bad as I originally thought. The drivers side is the only one with rot.
The passenger side is still doing fine.
Just a few small holes, accesible from the inside of the car.
Not bad for a 4 season daily driver.

#21 ·

I'm still planning on it, but as lnog as I can get the urQ back together, and the new parts in it by then.
Right now, I've still to put in the heater core, and waiting on some back order hoses
, and really, really should get in a new driveshaft support bearing in as well before hitting the road.
I currently don't plan on usig the S4 as back up, as it's due for a timing belt change, and I won't have enough money to do that project until late April...
So I haven't registered yet... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

#22 ·

Quote, originally posted by Sepp »
I'm still planning on it, but as lnog as I can get the urQ back together, and the new parts in it by then.
Right now, I've still to put in the heater core, and waiting on some back order hoses
, and really, really should get in a new driveshaft support bearing in as well before hitting the road.
I currently don't plan on usig the S4 as back up, as it's due for a timing belt change, and I won't have enough money to do that project until late April...
So I haven't registered yet... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
You gotta go. If you can get to NY, you can ride with me if need be. You are not some wierdo sieral killer or anything are you
Wait, you are working on the Ur-Q, the Ur-S4 needs a timing belt, OH GOD, are you driving the MK4 Jetta, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Modified by Quattro Krant at 12:35 PM 3-12-2008

#23 ·

hahaha
The Jetta was a friends, and was selling it for him as he was deployed.
I was making use of it back when I was doing the exhaust manifold on the Quattro.
I daily the S4, but only put 30 miles a day on it.
It's looking really close for me right now...
If I do make it ,I'll hook up with you in NY, as I'm sure you'll be hitting up 81 south?
My parents are just a 1/2 hour away from Syracuse.

#25 ·

Nice work, haven't had time to visit this forum for about a month and I can see much more is going on in spring than in winter. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Just keep up the good work. Now you have a beautiful car, can't imagine how good it will look completely rebuilt... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.