VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Dyno talk - let's pull all the facts, and maybe even rumors about dyno differences to one place

71K views 39 replies 21 participants last post by  Chrismc1000 
#1 ·
OK - So we always hear that dyno X reads higher than dyno Y, and that dyno A is more consistent than dyno B. We also know that dyno operator John vs. dyno operator Mike can influence more of a difference in the results than anything else.
These things are bantered about in every engine technical forum, but rarely with any supporting data.
Are there any 'case studies' of dyno data out there we can share with each other to build an approximation of what the differences are between inertia and load style dynos, dyna-pax vs. dyno dynamics vs. mustang vs. dynojet, etc.
It would be cool to collect this stuff in one place. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

See less See more
#27 ·
Right. Torque is measured, and the values won't change, they would just be assigned to the wrong engine speeds, and thus the HP values will change with gear ratio errors.
edit - looks like I typed the wrong word a few posts up - meant to say hp not torque...

Modified by chois at 7:29 PM 10-19-2009

#33 ·
Listen I just had a sh_t ton of work here and it was done damn right

http://enhancedstreetperformance.com

Dave the owner was great to work with also and does "Dyno Days"

Check them out they do it all ~
Dave's been my dyno man for the past 4 years. Great guy, great dyno days. Unlike other dynos, I don't need to make a big deposit and then collect the payments from the participants (who frequently no show)
I'm able to book the day and he gets me staff and I get him people. I average 20-25 people in a day starting at 830am and ending around 430ish. They provide food and drink. The viewing area is immense, so there's little to no crowding. Lots of area to shoot video and photos

I've also perfected the 'efficient dyno day' with him... I provided some spreadsheets for signup and running that has gotten us into a rhythm of about 1 car every 20-30 minutes. We do all the registration information up front (the day before). All cars are input into the system one day ahead of time so you just give the operator your name and you get on the dyno... no waiting around as they input your info.
On top of that, we basically have a 'batters box' where you wait for the guy ahead of you to finish.

It's all very common sense, but actually DOING it is a different story.

Here's the last video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkmXEAkNEHs&feature=plcp

check out my channel for LOTS of dyno video
http://www.youtube.com/user/NorthShoreInnovation

#35 ·
Question:

About 3 years ago I dyno'd my old setup on a dynojet. The operator asked us if we had USB sticks. If so he could give us the WinPep file for the run. I happened to have one. I took it home and opened it in WinPep. It allowed me to choose between the "smoothings" we often see and also to turn OFF the SAE correction method for the atmosphere that day.

How did turning this on/off vary a full 25whp on a 370whp run? The temperature outside that day was a perfectly average 70 deg F and normal barometric pressure.

#38 ·
Looking for a new dyno

Hi guys,

I spent few time reading your posts to understand various dynos capabilities and quality..

Actually I got a dynojet braked and I'm totally unsatisfied of this choice. No test repeatibility,
high tolerances (10% error) doesn't aloud me to the best working conditions..

I'm looking to different brand (only braked dynos), anyobne could help me moving between
hundreds of different products? I know taylor, maha, superflow sice a lot of time but in te last days
a friend suggested me an Italian brand, named BAPRO. I learnt they are official dyno providers
fo brands as Magneti Marelli, Ducati, Maserati and so.. Dynos looks very good and also
referreals are really good!

There is anyone who has experience on this?

thanks for helping me in doing the best investment choice!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.