VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

4-motion offroading?

35K views 27 replies 20 participants last post by  thetwodubheads 
#1 ·
Does anyone take these out? Obviously ground clearance and whatnot are issues, but maybe on some light trails?

See less See more
#28 ·
Huh, came to this section of the forum for a related tire question...
I have got to say though, our Tiguan has far more capability than I expected. The AWD system works much better than keyboard warriors will lead on. This car can drive through much worse low traction stuff (snow, ice, mud, loose gravel) than a 4wd truck with open diffs. I have dedicated snow tires on it through the winter, and it has plowed its way through some serious stuff, including getting the right tires off the road in just snow, while the left was on crunchy ice, it was able to claw out with minimal rocking. It is limited by ground clearance and tires though. I have easily gone up and over larger uneven turn-arounds with a tire off of the ground. That was with the stock Continentals too. I know it won't go wheeling like a locked up jeep, but for being a cute mommie-mobile it gets back to the campgrounds just fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.