Fourtitude.com - Health insurance for people visiting US?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Cars
      Sidan
      08-29-2007 10:01 PM #1
      My wife's mom (from malaysia) will be coming to stay with us for a few months.
      We'd like to get some kind of health insurance for her while she's here. My wife isn't a citizen, so apparently she is not eligible to add her mom as a dependent on her insurance from work, so we need to find a policy.
      Does anyone have some advice, or a carrier they'd recommend?
      Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

08-30-2007 02:09 PM #2
      Is this insurance just for emergencies? I'm pretty sure you can walk into any hospital, tell them you have no insurance, and they are still required to treat you. It's what all the illegals do down here.

08-30-2007 02:58 PM #3
      Quote, originally posted by salsanacho »
      Is this insurance just for emergencies? I'm pretty sure you can walk into any hospital, tell them you have no insurance, and they are still required to treat you. It's what all the illegals do down here.

That's only for emergency care. In California, the law requires ER to treat all walkups... but that doesn't mean they won't charge you an arm or a leg. You are still better off with insurance. If for whatever reason the mother in law needs surgery (like in car accident... god forbid), he is going to be SOL.
      I would check with your wife's insurance company again. It doesn't sound right... your mother in law's nationality should have no impact on whether she can get insurance or not. If she is in good health, there is no good reason they can turn her down. I don't know what laws are like in NY but I got to think it is similar to CA.
      Another alternative is to buy high deductible insurnace from one of the large HMOs. That shouldn't cost very much.

Modified by bzcat at 10:59 AM 8-30-2007

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Senior Member
      08-30-2007 03:40 PM #4
      Quote, originally posted by gsrroger »
      We'd like to get some kind of health insurance for her while she's here.

Does she have government or private insurance in Malaysia that covers her while she is visiting another country?

Cars
      Sidan
      08-30-2007 06:11 PM #5
      Thanks for the responses everyone.
      Healtcare in Malaysia hasn't gotten as screwed up as ours- IE, prices are reasonable and it isn't necessary to have health insurance. I went to the doctor in malaysia once, and paid all of like 10 or 20 bucks - that was the full bill. The exact same 15-minute service in the US would have cost my insurance like $300 But I digress.
      We know that they can't deny her treatment here, but are trying to be on the up-and-up.

Cars
      vaudi
      09-02-2007 11:06 AM #6
      Here is a resource...
      http://www.eglobalhealth.com/
      There are all sorts of various options out there for travel health insurance.....I believe that site will get a few qoutes based on duration of coverage requested.

Cars
      Sidan
      09-02-2007 02:37 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by vwsteve »
      Here is a resource...
      http://www.eglobalhealth.com/
      There are all sorts of various options out there for travel health insurance.....I believe that site will get a few qoutes based on duration of coverage requested.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

10. 09-05-2007 03:57 PM #8
      Quote, originally posted by gsrroger »

You need to find a carrier with GOOD customer service. If its a few months you cannot predict what will happen in a few months. Just this past weekend my friends father visiting the US found out that his fasting blood glucose is 200 g/dl (230 g/dl 2 hrs postprandial). This means he NEEDS a doc right now and start rx RIGHT now.
      This is not technically an emergency but it cannot wait. The trouble with "scumballs" offering travelers insurance is that they may use frivolous reasons NOT to pay. And then you (who will be listed as the local contact) will start getting calls/letter from providers threatening to set a collection agency on you coz your MIL insurance company did not pay the claim.
      How do I know this? Coz I was hounded for 3 months in Chicago when my visiting cousin slipped on black ice and dislocated his shoulder. The insurance company paid his ER visit but thanks to the uber complex US healthcare system, his X rays were done (in the hospital) by a private entity and that bill was refused for some god-aweful reasons.
      Not to scare you, but you need to be over protected ($0.5 to $1M of coverage even for a few months) and your carriers MUST have a local US # and your MIL should have a responsible point of contact in the Malaysia (if she is getting insurance from there, it might be cheaper). And they MUST cover:
      1) Emergency and Non emergency hospitalization
      2) Doc visits
      3) Prescriptions
      4) Dental

Cars
      Sidan
      09-05-2007 10:20 PM #9
      Ambat, that is the sort of stuff I'm afraid of. Do you know who was carrying your cousin's policy? I assume they'd be a good one to avoid.
      It's hard to find a foriegn visitor policy with a company that I know - but then, I know nothing about the insurance industry in general.

12. 09-06-2007 01:30 PM #10
      1) Well she should ask her travel agent for a good reputable Malaysian company that offers this service in Malaysia.
      2) Then she needs go to their office with someone she knows well (and is not traveling with her) and get a policy for at least $0.5M and it MUST have a US based contact # (preferably 1-800).
      3) Tell her to ask them what happens/what can the Malaysian company do if the US firm delays or refuses claims on some frivolous reasons. Also ask them if they have some mechanism for reimbursement if YOU (her SIL) ends up paying before the insurance pays.
      4) Then she needs to make sure she photocopies all the forms she filled and the proof of insurance that they gave her (making sure all the points mentioned in my previous posts are covered) and the checks she issues to them as premium.
      5) She needs to leave a copy behind in Malaysia with the local contact that went with her to get her travel insurance in the first place.
      6) Even though the policy is issued in Malaysia it will be underwritten by some other company (usually some unknown firm). So when and if they start delaying or denying your claims here in the US, your MIL point of contact in Malaysia can hound the issuer (with ALL the details at hand, since its been photocopied) and they (if they have any sense of customer service) will take it up with the US underwriter.
      A comprehensive $0.5M policy for 6 months should not cost more than $250-300 (in local currency). Now if your MIL is old (say over 70) then it will shoot up to $1000. This is because she will have pre-existing conditions and unless she really watches her health she will have some sort of provider encounter even in the US and they know that.
      Edit: And make sure your wife reads this thread and can explain the significance of this to her mother. She needs to understand BEFORE she arrives what happens to YOU guys if her travelers insurance does not pay for her claims.
      Off course it goes without saying that if rx is cheap in Malaysia then she needs to stack up on 25% more rx (with a MD prescription stating the condition for rx) than her intended stay in the US. Especially if you guys plan to travel and forget rx in motels or relatives houses...been there done that.

Modified by ambat at 11:42 PM 9-6-2007

13. 09-15-2019 08:03 AM #11
      Hello,
      Does you malaysian travel insurance can cover you in the US ? Do I have the possibility to subscribe a singaporian travel insurance like Axa ?
      Here is its link: https://www.axa.com.sg/travel-insurance
      Last edited by Elsen; 09-30-2019 at 02:37 PM.