Fourtitude.com - Why the secondary / auxiliary / after-run water pump stops working and what you can do to fix it
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    1. 11-04-2012 10:56 PM #101
      Found this site this evening >> http://www.carbonbrush.com/automotivebrush.htm

Just ordered a pair of L5-5H ($8 but $7.50 for shipping ). I'll post back how they work...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      current: '60 Cadillac ambulance/hearse combo, '01 MK4 GTI GLX Sold: 88 Nissan Pulsar xe w/ sportbak
      11-06-2012 03:12 PM #102
      Just found this thread & shared it with my brother who has a 97 Jetta GLX with a dead auxiliary water pump. We'll be pulling it apart on his next day off when we replace his coolant hoses and main water pump. Wish us luck.

Cars
      95 gti 24vt toy, 04 tdi golf economy, 94 gti 12vt sold
      11-06-2012 06:19 PM #103
      Nice to sand the commutator as well. Didnt see it stated.
      diesel life cause cold feet are fun....

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 11-10-2012 12:13 PM #104
      Quote Originally Posted by gvirta View Post
      Found this site this evening >> http://www.carbonbrush.com/automotivebrush.htm

Just ordered a pair of L5-5H ($8 but $7.50 for shipping ). I'll post back how they work...
      These brushes do indeed work, but are a tad too long. Not a big deal to file em down a little. The wire is also in the correct place. These are a pretty decent deal ($15 all-in). You could order an extra set for $7.50 more in case you screw something up or something.

I ended up cutting the factory brush wires at the brush, then wound the wires from the new brushes around the old and soldered em together. We'll see how it holds up over time.

7. 11-10-2012 02:52 PM #105
      I also wanted to say thanks for the fishing line idea. I was able to get it together on the first try by putting the electrical connector on the brush holder in a vice (gently), having a helper hold the two fishing lines, then setting the motor down on top of it. I think it's easier if the whole mess with the fishing line and brushes stays still so you can keep tension on the lines more easily.

These new brushes work perfectly (after filing for length) so go order yourself a set or two. If this job took more than an hour total I'd be surprised (just remember to take out your airbox so you can get to the pump).

8. Semi-n00b
      Cars
      1997 VW GTI VR6
      09-23-2014 10:19 PM #106
      My Aux water pump is making some very strange and fast winding sound after I shut the car off.. It will start about 15-30 seconds after I shut it off and it'll go then stop again go and stop again. This **** is annoying and obnoxiously loud. What I'm asking is, if you may know if I need to change my pump or if it could be too much coolant in the system, too hot or anything? I've been working on my cooling system for the past few weeks (due to limited funds) and I'm trying to get this bad boy up and running again. 1997 GTI VR6

9. 10-13-2014 10:23 AM #107
      My water pump started to leak badly so I removed it and connected the two hoses it misses the small metal bushing part on the lower portion of the impeller housing also it got a crack in the top part of the impeller housing anyway my question is that I probably wont be able to keep that pump so will it be safe to drive with the hoses connected directly while I am waiting for the part to come (about 2 weeks)??

Cars
      04 20V 91 TAS GTI
      10-13-2014 11:37 PM #108
      You guys can go to your local junkyard and find these pumps from pretty much any early 90's mercedes-benz, they are much better quality than vw ones. I paid 11 bucks for mine 3 years ago and still works good as new. The only thing you have to do i splice the wires because the connector is not the same.
      NP-Performance

11. Member
      10-14-2014 03:06 PM #109
      Quote Originally Posted by roix View Post
      My water pump started to leak badly so I removed it and connected the two hoses it misses the small metal bushing part on the lower portion of the impeller housing also it got a crack in the top part of the impeller housing anyway my question is that I probably wont be able to keep that pump so will it be safe to drive with the hoses connected directly while I am waiting for the part to come (about 2 weeks)??
      As long as you don't take your car to the racetrack (or anywhere else where the pump's after-run capability is truly required to cool down the cylinder head), you should be fine without the pump.
      Kenji

12. 11-08-2019 06:40 AM #110
      Thanks for this DIY. It is not easy to find out graphite products Graphite crucible is available on this website https://www.antslab.in/product/cylin...hite-crucible/

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345