VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Fourtitude R8 Introduction Ceremony Coverage

2K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  DBLFRVGNGN 
#1 ·

Audi pulled the wraps off of their much-anticipated R8 this evening at a cermoney held at the Esplanade Charles De Gaulle in the heart of Paris’ Quartier La Defense. One of the most closely-guarded reveals in the company’s history, the full production stayed basically unseen save for numerous test mule sightings up until tonight’s big show.
Full Story

See less See more
#5 ·
Re: Fourtitude R8 Introduction Ceremony Coverage (Nautiliux_vag)

I'm going to try to meet up with the German product manager today. So post any more questions in here.
There are two more R8s at the show, and a cutaway. I'm downloading my pics now. Manual tranny cars have gates!
R8 could very well go into production by end of month, though may not go on sale until Feb in Europe and Summer 2007 in the USA.

#11 ·
Re: Fourtitude R8 Introduction Ceremony Coverage (George@Fourtitude)

Is there a chance we might see any R8s in a race series? Champion is not in the GT series this year and I thought the speculation was they were waiting on new cars...RS4 or maybe this? Couldn't the R8 even go in GT1 with ALMS?

#13 ·
Re: Fourtitude R8 Introduction Ceremony Coverage (s4s)

Quote, originally posted by s4s »
Made a mistake and started a new topic...sorry!!!
Interested in knowing when they forecast to start selling in the US and the base price (is it closer to $80K or $110K)???

Fall of 07 in the US. No quotes on price yet.

#14 ·
Re: Fourtitude R8 Introduction Ceremony Coverage (GTX141)

Quote, originally posted by GTX141 »

Fall of 07 in the US. No quotes on price yet.

I think sooner. hopefully June-July... similar part of the year as the RS4 I hear.
Speaking of the RS4.. this R8 BETTER have the Sport Seats... that will REALLY annoy me if Audi doesnt federalize the cool RS4 seats for the US R8.

#15 ·
Re: Fourtitude R8 Introduction Ceremony Coverage (RunningOfTheRings)

Quote, originally posted by RunningOfTheRings »

I think sooner. hopefully June-July... similar part of the year as the RS4 I hear.
Speaking of the RS4.. this R8 BETTER have the Sport Seats... that will REALLY annoy me if Audi doesnt federalize the cool RS4 seats for the US R8.

AoA has already announced: Fall 07

#16 ·
Re: Fourtitude R8 Introduction Ceremony Coverage (George@Fourtitude)

The R8 is unargueably a great sporting motor car. I can't help but think the launch is underwhelming given the market for the car.
I keep thinking the V8 of 420HP is underpowered in its class. Where is the Twin Turbo V8 of, say, 620+HP? I can understand not using the Lamborghini V10, this is an Audi with a proper Audi derrived motor.
Maybe lightweight will make up for middling horsepower numbers. However, at 3430# the car is not svelt.
Audi has made nice use of the latest lightweight composite materials. Yet, composite use is hardly ground breaking as Chevrolet started this trend in the 1950's and continues the trend in the current, Corvette Z06. Thankfully Chevrolet paints over their carbon fiber, Audi could learn from the Americans in this regard.
Criticism aside, the car is beautiful and exciting and hopefully a success for Audi. If I were well healed, the car would be on my short list.

#17 ·
Re: Fourtitude R8 Introduction Ceremony Coverage (briang)

Okay, here are a few answers for you.
On Sale: August 2007 was what I heard for USA. February 2006 for Europe, though it could go into production as early as this month... they weren't clear on that rumor we'd heard, but they weren't saying no either.
Seats: I saw two seats on hand at the events between the cars shown. Some had the (not for USA) Recaros also used in the RS4. Others had a new sport seat similar in appearance to the ones used in the TT... same stitching patterns. I'd guess we'll only get the latter knowing what we know about airbag sensors in the Recaros.
Power and Engines: No on-the-record answers on that one. We know V10 is coming, we just don't know when. I'd assume it's after the Gallardo gets a power boost. TDI? No comment.
Other Versions: S-tronic (single clutch, evolved from but not exactly same as E-gear) was shown at the show. Don't be surprised to see some sort of open-top as early as the L.A. Auto Show.
Pricing for USA: As-of-yet undetermined. Everyone's probably seen the pricing PDF from Europe, but do a quick comparison between European and American RS4 pricing, and if all things are equal, this thing could cost Carrera 4 money. We'll see.

#18 ·

Quote, originally posted by briang »
The R8 is unargueably a great sporting motor car. I can't help but think the launch is underwhelming given the market for the car.

I disagree. If Porsche could slap their headlights on this car and call it the New 911, they'd do it in a heartbeat. (They'd have to somehow erase the memory of the 911 being a rear engine car from the memory of all car nuts on the planet. But, they'd do it. Look at the Cayman- most auto journalists seem to think that it is dynamically superior to the 911.)
The R8 is an everyday unbelievable sports car that happens to be mid-engine, awd, powered by a V8 that makes great power, has an excellent interior, etc. I'm having a hard time with 'underwhelming' for the market. If its only direct competitor is the 911 C4S, it has that car covered easily- even it if costs MORE money.
4 cents
RB
(i'm looking at an 05 911Turbo for sale at the Chevy dealership across the street- guy rolls in a Z06 now)

#19 ·
Re: Fourtitude R8 Introduction Ceremony Coverage (DBLFRVGNGN)

Quote, originally posted by DBLFRVGNGN »

I disagree.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif That's OK, and I'm sure you are not alone. eOpinions are worthless anyway.

Good luck on the Porsche. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#20 ·

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I agree- it's the internet! We're all right!

I'm not buying the Porsche, just looking at it from my desk (i'm an Audi SalesScumbagFace)
I'd love to take it for a spin though.
RB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.