Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
      Cars
      First gen stomper.
      07-09-2006 05:17 PM #1
      Well I couldn’t wait any longer so I went ahead and installed my mkIV intake manifold. I think I spent a total of around $120. I smoothed the manifold and cut off the unwanted parts and mounting points. I then made sure all attachments were covered for the swap such as the vacuum points and the sensor points. I didn’t have the mkIV valve cover so I had to modify my mkIII cover to accommodate the breather. This is where welding comes in handy. For the most part the swap is pretty straight forward but there are a few things you have to modify.
      You will need to make a bracket to hold the back of the manifold, or modify the current one. You will have to modify the vacuum line going to the brake booster. You will have to buy some new 3mm vacuum line for the FPR, and be sure to buy some new O-Rings for the injectors. AutoZone carries these and they are like $4 for a set of 8. You will also need to space the fuel rail with some washers as it doesnt mount like the mkIII manifold. Make sure to get a head to manifold gasket the manifold to manifold gasket and a TB gasket. I would recommend getting a longer throttle cable as the stock one has to be bent at an extreme angle and causes some sticking. I have not done the cable yet but I will order one Monday. You will also have to figure out a way to set up the intake. I happened to have a bunch of extra parts and this with the existing CAI, I (ok ABFJeff) was able to fab up a CAI for the other side. You will have to completely undo the injector harness so you can change the orientation of the TB harness. You will also have to extend the manifold sensor wire about 6 inches in order for it to reach the new mounting point. The MAF wires will need extending as well due to the relocation of it (the other side of the bay) I added about 4ft to the wires and went from there. The install is a PITA without a doubt but was well worth the effort. I noticed a nice gain in TQ and HP mid to high. No loss on the bottom end. The car pulls hard all the way up to red line and I have a stock cam and head (for now). This is a great mod for the budget minded, and has nice gains to boot. This is by no means a replacement for the USRT SRI, but if you are on a budget this is a nice mod to increase power.
      If you have questions please feel free to ask. Jeff was there as well so he is aware of the things needed for this too. Now for the pics…
      overall view...

manifols FPR mount and sensor mount(i had to weld a washer to the knock out and drill/tap a hole for the sensor...

The top and bottom breathers..

The coolant hose bracket mount had to have a piece added to get it to mount (a bent piece of aluminum)...

throttle body and the harness plug... and the beginning of the CAI...

Now the CAI...

Now for the view of the extremly bent Throttle cable...

Now ask away............

Modified by vwnut18t at 9:21 PM 7-9-2006

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 07-09-2006 05:40 PM #2
      That CAI is badass.

4. 07-09-2006 07:51 PM #3
      i was thinking about doing this but im still a little ehh..where did you get your manifold? and what kind of wire did you use to extend? how long was the install? im not really diggin the yellow but i love the manifold!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      First gen stomper.
      07-09-2006 09:12 PM #4
      The car is a Harlequin golf Anything goes I bought the manifold here on the vortex. I used factory wire to extend both the sensor and the MAF harness. Soldered of course [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] Because of the unforseen issues that came up it took alot longer than it would have had I known a few things about it. I had modified a valve cover but the mod interfered with the manifold and the TB so I had to do a second mod mid install (this was for the breather) I also didnt think to grab the vacume line so I called my buddy(ABFJeff) and he and mike brought over some line for me. Because my garage is a fab shop too I had most of what I needed to fab a few things. If I had seen something like this thread (there were a few but I couldnt find anything that would have halped). The totall process took about a good 6hrs but again I ran into a few issues that I wasnt expecting or didnt think about. If I were to do this again I could prep everything in about 2hrs and the job itself would take maybe another hr or two.

Cars
      First gen stomper.
      07-09-2006 09:14 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by GoWhiteBoy »
      im not really diggin the yellow but i love the manifold!

This is the car it went into... anything goes

Cars
      2008 BMW 335i, 2010 Rav4 V6 Ltd.
      07-09-2006 09:30 PM #6
      Aaaaah,
      The MK4 2.0 is fashionable again I see! Good, good!
      That will stop some of the MK4 2.0 bashing here..
      So, how is it with the new intake? Any difference?
      Quote Originally Posted by MAG58 View Post
      Please consider your audience before saying something sensible. 80% of TCL drivers were actually banned from Formula 1 for being too fast.
      A turbocharger is a device in where exhaust gases go in, witchcraft happens, and then you go faster.

Cars
      First gen stomper.
      07-09-2006 09:57 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by vasillalov »
      Aaaaah,
      The MK4 2.0 is fashionable again I see! Good, good!
      That will stop some of the MK4 2.0 bashing here..
      So, how is it with the new intake? Any difference?

yup...it is a noticable difference it was worth the effort. I cant wait to get my head on with the cam to really see the potential.

07-09-2006 10:57 PM #8
      looks good [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

11. Member
      Cars
      Fahrvergnügen
      07-09-2006 11:07 PM #9
      looks good!
      i almost went this route, but instead, i picked up a HKK mani last summer.
      still best mod ever.
      gotta love the clown tho! [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Cars
      First gen stomper.
      07-09-2006 11:10 PM #10
      Quote, originally posted by DriveVW4Life »
      looks good!
      i almost went this route, but instead, i picked up a HKK mani last summer.
      still best mod ever.
      gotta love the clown tho! [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

I like the HKK. Still the best manifold. This will allow me to bolt on a BBM supercharger a bit easier. I have a VR6 throttle boddy that will get installed as well

13. Member
      Cars
      Fahrvergnügen
      07-09-2006 11:19 PM #11
      Quote, originally posted by vwnut18t »
      I like the HKK. Still the best manifold. This will allow me to bolt on a BBM supercharger a bit easier. I have a VR6 throttle boddy that will get installed as well

true statement.
      i've been thinking forcefed since day 1, but hell, might as well rock what i got and just keep driven it n/a..
      besides, plenty of other toys to go fast in.
      vr6 tb, eh? obd-I? i don't care to go back a page and look cause it's lazy sunday, wake up in the late afternoon, call up parns just to see how he's doin.. wait, i'm getting sidetracked..
      just take your stock tb and dremel the bastid.
      it's fun and you get that warm happy feeling of accomplishment.
      **correction: after much thought, aren't harlequins all OBD-II? and morse, i thought you couldn't put a VR tb on an OBD-II? i'm a little mashed, so shht, i dunno.

Modified by DriveVW4Life at 10:24 PM 7-9-2006

Cars
      First gen stomper.
      07-09-2006 11:59 PM #12
      Quote, originally posted by DriveVW4Life »

**correction: after much thought, aren't harlequins all OBD-II? and morse, i thought you couldn't put a VR tb on an OBD-II? i'm a little mashed, so shht, i dunno.
      Modified by DriveVW4Life at 10:24 PM 7-9-2006

yes they are OBD2, and from what I understand they will plug and play but I think you have to run water through it like you would if it were on the vr motor. I dont know for sure, but I will find out I like the eperimentation. If not than me and my die grinder will have some fun I have a few more go a bit faster goodies fo rthe ol 8v still. I will put those on B-for I do boost.

15. 07-10-2006 12:33 AM #13
      install a VR throttle cable...
      trust me, it sucks to have it heat up and get stuck inside the plastic housing at WOT, and the only way to close it is to shut the car off, or get out and physically close the TB.
      And
      relocate yor IAT sensor, where it currently is, if anything taps it, it risks knocking out that bung - that thing is barely held in there.
      Drill/tap from the flat-spot on the back of the manifold - I think this is all explained in my faq on this like 2 years ago

Cars
      First gen stomper.
      07-10-2006 01:33 AM #14
      Yah I saw what you are talking about on the bung. I ensured that it would take more than a tap to get the thing to move
      I am going in the morning to get the throttle cable. Its a special order part so I have to wait a few days.

17. 07-10-2006 01:51 AM #15
      As soon as I get my SRI in, we'll have to line them up and see if that 4K tranny is enough of an advantage.
      I am absolutely LOVING that short shift kit! I need to post some pictures and a short vid for comparison... hey, I'll do that now.

Edit... A pic and short vid of VWnut1.8T's (Adam) 020 short shift kit. definitely worth the money (even though I got mine for free)

Note the very tight and positive click into gear... it's real easy to shift, I was trying to go slow, it doesn't like to shift slow.

Modified by ABF Jeff at 10:07 PM 7-9-2006

Cars
      First gen stomper.
      07-10-2006 03:13 PM #16
      Ahh thanks for the praise jeff [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

19. 07-10-2006 09:09 PM #17
      Ahh thanks for the praise jeff [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Thought you might like this...

Cars
      First gen stomper.
      07-10-2006 10:51 PM #18
      Quote, originally posted by ABF Jeff »
      As soon as I get my SRI in, we'll have to line them up and see if that 4K tranny is enough of an advantage.
      I am absolutely LOVING that short shift kit! I need to post some pictures and a short vid for comparison... hey, I'll do that now.

Edit... A pic and short vid of VWnut1.8T's (Adam) 020 short shift kit. definitely worth the money (even though I got mine for free)

Note the very tight and positive click into gear... it's real easy to shift, I was trying to go slow, it doesn't like to shift slow.

Modified by ABF Jeff at 10:07 PM 7-9-2006

I am pretty sure that car belongs to vrclowncar here on the tex. Noice!

21. 07-11-2006 07:37 AM #19
      Yah I saw what you are talking about on the bung. I ensured that it would take more than a tap to get the thing to move
      I am going in the morning to get the throttle cable. Its a special order part so I have to wait a few days.

I.m.o., your welded bung is more than suitable! What did you weld it up with (that casting is aluminum right?)?

Cars
      First gen stomper.
      07-11-2006 12:31 PM #20
      ..... The original bung got a nice thick washer welded to it but the current was too high for the steel and it sorta disintegrated . So I went to AutoZone and bought a freez plug the same size... trimmed it down... and tried again. It welded nicely the second time around. I then tapped the hole to the propper size and smacked it back in the hole. Once it was In then I took my punch and went around the hole and made sure it wouldnt come out
      Had I been in Cali where my buddies machine shop was It would have been a whole different story. I would have made an aluminim plug for it and I would have had my buddy weld it together.

23. 07-11-2006 03:46 PM #21
      good help!

Cars
      First gen stomper.
      07-11-2006 03:57 PM #22

Quote, originally posted by midwestjetta »
      good help!

If you have any questions just ask... I am more than willing to help a dubber out [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

25. 07-11-2006 05:51 PM #23
      My wife got me started on this swap and I am not sure what else I need to pull it off. I have the upper manifold, and I assume I should get my hands on a lower manifold too. I have been following Pagano's work he did in 2003. I might be IMing you some questions when I get some time to look at it.

Cars
      First gen stomper.
      07-11-2006 06:16 PM #24
      I will be here [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] Ask away.

07-11-2006 06:52 PM #25
      Quote, originally posted by ABF Jeff »
      Thought you might like this...

lol i made that one that thread just resurfaced again actually. but on a serious note, the mani looks good, i preffer the mk3 mani but good work [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      .:R

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast