I just woke up and it hit me.... I think there is a very easy solution for us the MK4 guys that are wanting the BBM charger. If only we can get two companies to collaborate...
Here are the issues with MK4s and BBM charger:
1. The alternator sits higher and the BBM bracket for the MK3s will not work. There is not enough room for the pulley.
2. You can't place the BBM charger at the back of the engine due to lack of space and complications with the ducting as the MK4 airbox is on the driver side of the engine bay much closer to the windshield.
So I've been thinking: the biggest thing about the BBM charger and the MK4s is the fact that there isn't a good spot in the engine bay that will accomodate the charger, allow you to run proper ducting for air intake and intercooling for later stages.
Now, consider this: You purchase a USRT manifold. You have options of placing the throttle body on the left or on the right. This will free up lots of space at the back of the engine. You install the BBM charger in the same spot as the Neuspeed charger. You only have to fabricate two new brackets for the back and find a longer belt. This will:
1) Provide enough space for the BBM charger at the back of the engine
2. Put the charger much closer to the MK4 airbox and thus simplify the ducting
3) You don't have to worry about the alternator location problem
4) You will have ample space for intercooling for later stages of the BBM.
Basically you take this:
Add the BBM charger starter kit:
So really, what it comes down to is finding someone to build an MK4 chip for the BBM charger, finding the right size accessory belt AND fabricating 2 brackets for the charger...
Now, can [email protected] approach BBM and try to work with them on this... They get to sell a lot of manifolds, BBM gets to sell a lot of chargers, and us the MK4 fellas get a monster...
The price so far is $1600 + $525 = $2125. But that's still $400 cheaper than the neuspeed and is enough (i hope) for both companies to make profit and develop a MK4 chip and ducting...
Modified by vasillalov at 10:25 AM 4-30-2006