2008 Chevy 2500 HD
      03-23-2006 03:45 PM #26
      Good luck trying to enforce this in Austin, TX around 6th street

-Ryan

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Banned
      03-23-2006 03:48 PM #27
      Isn't Texas another country yet? They can take the president and start to do so......that would be good news to MANY Americans.

4. 03-23-2006 03:49 PM #28
      Quote, originally posted by eppy73 »
      I blame Canada

Nice obscure South Park reference.

03-23-2006 03:50 PM #29
      Quote, originally posted by nourdmrolnmt1 »
      this has to deal with cars how?
      Go ahead and read the article and get back to us

Cars
      Manual Avant
      03-23-2006 03:53 PM #30
      Quote, originally posted by zerind »
      You want to trade point for point on why I hate California? I bet you I win How about that city in CA where you can't even smoke outside, or you get fined? Pot, meet Kettle.

actually CA cops take pot very easily
      anyway yeah we could battle back and forth, but theres no need, Im not that angry, and theres only one place you cant smoke outside anymore, its Calabasas, a very small part

7. 03-23-2006 03:54 PM #31
      I wonder if they would have arrested Dubya at that wedding for being plastered?

8. Member
      Cars
      '11 GTI, '12 JSW TDI
      03-23-2006 03:54 PM #32
      An old classic:
      Recently a routine police patrol parked outside a bar in Bandera, Texas. After last call the officer noticed a man leaving the bar so intoxicated that he could barely walk. The man stumbled around the parking lot for a few minutes, with the officer quietly observing. After what seemed an eternity and trying his keys on five different vehicles, the man managed to find his car which he fell into. — – He sat there for a few minutes as a number of other patrons left the bar and drove off.
      Finally he started the car, switched the wipers on and off (it was a fine, dry summer night) — – flicked the blinkers on, then off a couple of times, honked the horn and then switched on the lights. — He moved the vehicle forward a few inches, reversed a little and then remained still for a few more minutes as some more of the other patron vehicles left. At last, the parking lot empty, he pulled out of the parking lot and started to drive slowly down the road.
      The police officer, having patiently waited all this time, now started up the patrol car, put on the flashing lights, and promptly pulled the man over and carried out a breathalyzer test. To his amazement the breathalyzer indicated no evidence of the man having consumed any alcohol at all! Dumbfounded, the officer said, “I’ll have to ask you to accompany me to the police station. This breathalyzer equipment must be broken.”
      “I doubt it,” said the truly proud Texan. “Tonight I’m the designated decoy.”

9. 03-23-2006 03:54 PM #33
      sounds like the movie Minority Report....where they take people out before they actually commit any crime...

10. 03-23-2006 03:57 PM #34
      I don't think the general population has any clue as to what the real laws are. I'm a bartender in VT, and it's probably the most risky job anyone could have, but I make mad loot, so I'm taking the chance.
      A bar is not a private establishment, unless it is a legion, or club where you have to sign in, get buzzed in to get in the door, and be a paying member or guess to be at the establishment.
      Any "normal" bar is a public area, and part of the agreement to holding a liqour license is letting the police or liquor control officers come in as they please. (It is even illegal, in VT, to have the doors locked at any time that someone is within the premises. ie: no after hours parties). It is also illegal for a bartender to serve someone who is "under the influence of alcohol". So legally, if I serve you 1 beer, it is against the law to serve you a second one, because technically/biologically, that one beer does have some effect on you.
      What really sucks, is that the whole thing, where if I serve a customer who "has a ride home", who leaves the bar and gets into a car, and smashes into a busload of kids, I'm screwed. I'm liable for that accident, meaning the parent of everyone one of those kids, and the wife and family (and any dependant) of both the bus driver and of the guy I "overserved" can sue me.
      It's really not anywhere near as glamourous a job as you might think.
      PS: It's nothing new to have cops come in and bust people for being too drunk. It's happened to us before.

11. 03-23-2006 03:57 PM #35
      Sounds like 1984 where you can get in hot water for even thinking of doing anything illegal.

12. 03-23-2006 04:02 PM #36
      Quote, originally posted by Weakness »
      But you do get busting for a little bit of spanky spanky with moose.

what's wrong with treating the moose with some mutual pleasure.. haha alright.. too far.
      but nice sig.. DOWN WITH GLAZER!

03-23-2006 04:03 PM #37
      Quote, originally posted by CarGuru916 »

Good point...

Cars
      GX460, RX350L
      03-23-2006 04:04 PM #38
      Quote, originally posted by ~Shaughno~ »
      what's wrong with treating the moose with some mutual pleasure.. haha alright.. too far.
      but nice sig.. DOWN WITH GLAZER!

Glazer!!!

15. 03-23-2006 04:08 PM #39
      i'll see you guys later, i may be getting arrested tonight.
      its probably cuz us texans have gotten so good at drunk driving that they have no choice but to catch us before we get on the road and they need probable cause to pull us over.
      seriously though, this is stupid.

03-23-2006 04:13 PM #40
      Quote, originally posted by vtgti »
      I don't think the general population has any clue as to what the real laws are. I'm a bartender in VT, and it's probably the most risky job anyone could have, but I make mad loot, so I'm taking the chance.
      A bar is not a private establishment, unless it is a legion, or club where you have to sign in, get buzzed in to get in the door, and be a paying member or guess to be at the establishment.
      Any "normal" bar is a public area, and part of the agreement to holding a liqour license is letting the police or liquor control officers come in as they please. (It is even illegal, in VT, to have the doors locked at any time that someone is within the premises. ie: no after hours parties). It is also illegal for a bartender to serve someone who is "under the influence of alcohol". So legally, if I serve you 1 beer, it is against the law to serve you a second one, because technically/biologically, that one beer does have some effect on you.
      What really sucks, is that the whole thing, where if I serve a customer who "has a ride home", who leaves the bar and gets into a car, and smashes into a busload of kids, I'm screwed. I'm liable for that accident, meaning the parent of everyone one of those kids, and the wife and family (and any dependant) of both the bus driver and of the guy I "overserved" can sue me.
      It's really not anywhere near as glamourous a job as you might think.
      PS: It's nothing new to have cops come in and bust people for being too drunk. It's happened to us before.
      I'm sure if you are working in a respectable establishment, the owner carries Liquor Liability Insurance, that would certainly come into play in cases like this.....

17. 03-23-2006 04:13 PM #41
      What's next? They're gonna come in our crack house and arrest us for smoking crack? What is this country coming to?

Cars
      2006 Honda Ridgeline
      03-23-2006 04:15 PM #42
      Quote, originally posted by MixmasterNash »
      An old classic:
      Recently a routine police patrol parked outside a bar in Bandera, Texas. After last call the officer noticed a man leaving the bar so intoxicated that he could barely walk. The man stumbled around the parking lot for a few minutes, with the officer quietly observing. After what seemed an eternity and trying his keys on five different vehicles, the man managed to find his car which he fell into. — – He sat there for a few minutes as a number of other patrons left the bar and drove off.
      Finally he started the car, switched the wipers on and off (it was a fine, dry summer night) — – flicked the blinkers on, then off a couple of times, honked the horn and then switched on the lights. — He moved the vehicle forward a few inches, reversed a little and then remained still for a few more minutes as some more of the other patron vehicles left. At last, the parking lot empty, he pulled out of the parking lot and started to drive slowly down the road.
      The police officer, having patiently waited all this time, now started up the patrol car, put on the flashing lights, and promptly pulled the man over and carried out a breathalyzer test. To his amazement the breathalyzer indicated no evidence of the man having consumed any alcohol at all! Dumbfounded, the officer said, “I’ll have to ask you to accompany me to the police station. This breathalyzer equipment must be broken.”

priceless

Cars
      2015 4Runner TEP w/ KDSS
      03-23-2006 04:37 PM #43
      Quote, originally posted by MixmasterNash »
      An old classic:

Now, if one really did that, would/could the be arrested for anything?
      OR, do you think it would actually work?

Modified by kryptonik at 4:39 PM 3-23-2006

20. 03-23-2006 04:39 PM #44
      Quote, originally posted by kryptonik »
      [QUOTE=silvERia]
      Now, if one really did that, would/could the be arrested for anything?
      OR, do you think it would actually work?

I'd be willing to try it! If you don't blow over what would he bust you for? Checking to make sure all your gadget's work?

03-23-2006 04:43 PM #45
      Quote, originally posted by handlestolen »
      its probably cuz us texans have gotten so good at drunk driving that they have no choice but to catch us before we get on the road and they need probable cause to pull us over.

LOL, do they still have those billboards around the Metroplex (there's two big ones on I35-W and I35-E that say:
      "Drink, Drive -- go to jail. Another government lie.”

Cars
      16 Toyota 4 Runner & 13 Abarth Cabrio
      03-23-2006 04:51 PM #46
      Quote, originally posted by ~Shaughno~ »
      I'd be willing to try it! If you don't blow over what would he bust you for? Checking to make sure all your gadget's work?

No, but I bet they would make your life hell. Think blood tests to see why you were "stumbling", and other such nonsense. I wouldn't try it, I have met very few cops who had a sense of humor while on duty.

Cars
      2014 Focus ST
      03-23-2006 04:53 PM #47
      Quote, originally posted by Weakness »
      The first sting operation was conducted recently in a Dallas suburb where agents infiltrated 36 bars and arrested 30 people for public intoxication, said the commission's Carolyn Beck.
      Being in a bar does not exempt one from the state laws against public drunkenness, Beck said.
      "There are a lot of dangerous and stupid things people do when they're intoxicated, other than get behind the wheel of a car," Beck said. "People walk out into traffic and get run over, people jump off of balconies trying to reach a swimming pool and miss."
      She said the sting operations would continue throughout the state.

1) Carolyn Beck has no idea what she's doing.
      2) Bars are for drinking and maybe even getting drunk.
      3) Since when does one have to "infiltrate" a bar?
      4) If people want to jump off balconies or off bridges, that's okay with me. I subscribe to Darwin.

Modified by Max Rebo at 5:00 PM 3-23-2006
      Oddfellows Local 726

24. 03-23-2006 05:54 PM #48
      Quote, originally posted by SpeedRicer »
      LOL, do they still have those billboards around the Metroplex (there's two big ones on I35-W and I35-E that say:
      "Drink, Drive -- go to jail. Another government lie.”

no way i've never seen that before.
      were they near the crazy religous messages signed "-god"?

Cars
      2000 Jetta VR6
      03-23-2006 06:04 PM #49
      Quote, originally posted by CarGuru916 »

-Ryan

As long as you don't yak on the street you are pretty much in the clear. I actually stumbled into a cop on horseback once and he just looked down at me and told me to move along.

26. 03-23-2006 06:06 PM #50
      Not to hate on the moderator.....but this is not even close to being car related.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast