Fourtitude.com - How to test a hall sender?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. 01-10-2006 09:42 PM #1
      My car doesn't run and I'm wondering if the distributor or hall sender is busted. I'm not one to start replacing parts so I pulled the distributor off and opened it up. It looks good inside but I was wondering if there was a way to test the hall sender with a multimeter? I've heard that the inner oil seal can go and allow oil to leak onto the hall sender but the inside of my distributor is clean. If the inside looks good then what else could be wrong other than the hall sender? If my hall sender busted would it cut out my fuel pump relay so I wouldn't flood my engine?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 01-11-2006 02:16 AM #2
      Without a multimeter it is very difficult to test electrical systems. You can test the hall sensor without a multimeter though by using a test light. With the ignition switch turned on, the hall sensor should output voltage at certain points in its revolution. I don't have my bentley in front of me right now so i can't remember which wire to test, but there are three coming from the hall sensor, and you should get 12 volts on one of them as you spin the engine (do it by hand). This should be enough to light up a automotive lightbulb you have laying around.
      If you don't get any voltage at the hall sensor, that DOES NOT mean the hall sensor is bad, but perhaps your wiring to the hall sensor is faulty. This is where it gets tricky and a multimeter comes in handy.
      I'm willing to bed that your hall sensor is good anyways, but it never hurts to play around and test things out!

Cars
      VWs & Audis
      01-11-2006 08:51 AM #3
      start by ruling out (or in) the ignition system. Crank the car and see if you are getting spark. If you are, the hall sender should be fine.
      Dave

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 01-11-2006 01:19 PM #4
      I'm doing a digi2 swap right now and I'm waiting for a fuel rail so the car isn't operational. I have the distributor out right now so I was looking to test the hall sender on the bench with my multimeter. I figure that one wire will be power, the other ground, and the third will be a varying signal but I have to go through my wiring diagrahms again. Can you test for saprk at the coil by putting the coil wire that goes the the distributor near ground and see spark? Right now when I turn the key to accesory position I don't even hear my fuel pump prime but I'm pretty sure the problem isn't in the fuel system because I can short the fuel pump relay and get fuel.

Cars
      VWs & Audis
      01-11-2006 02:10 PM #5
      the hall sender outputs a wave, you can't really test it with a multimeter.
      Dave

8. 01-11-2006 02:17 PM #6
      You can't test the quality of what it is outputting, but you can test if it's functioning with the multimeter. The sqaure wave is 12v, easily detected with a meter.
      But I got ahead of myself: pull a plug and watch for spark while cranking, or use a timing light. Much easier

Cars
      VWs & Audis
      01-11-2006 03:34 PM #7
      bingo, don't need a fuel rail to crank the car.
      Dave

10. 01-11-2006 04:01 PM #8
      If I crank the car without the fuel injector electrical connector hooked up will fuel come out of the open line that I'm waiting to hook up to the fuel rail? That could be messy

11. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Cars
      diesels, and an mg
      01-11-2006 04:05 PM #9
      Quote, originally posted by bowen44 »
      If I crank the car without the fuel injector electrical connector hooked up will fuel come out of the open line that I'm waiting to hook up to the fuel rail? That could be messy

undo the fuel pump relay, or whatever is powering your fuel pump

Cars
      VWs & Audis
      01-11-2006 04:57 PM #10
      uhh I though you just said your fuel pump wasn't running.
      either way, if you can't figure out how to disable the pump in order to crank the car, you've got bigger issues.

Modified by rs4-380 at 4:58 PM 1-11-2006
      Dave

13. 01-11-2006 06:15 PM #11
      I know how to disable the pump smartass all I'm saying is that there's a connection between the ignition and fuel system that if your ignition goes, it'll cut out your fuel so if I disable the pump through the relay and the ignition doesn't work I might think the ignition system isn't working because I disabled my fuel system.

14. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Cars
      diesels, and an mg
      01-11-2006 06:24 PM #12
      uh no.
      you disable the pump, you dont get fuel. and itll spark all day long.
      if youre unsure of the ignition system you can test the spark with a plug out.
      anyhow, seems that youre able to solve your own problems, so you dont need our help.
      smartass

15. 07-08-2019 12:34 AM #13
      Pull the distributor off the motor leaving all wires attached. With key on, turn distributor by hand from the drive gear. You should hear the fuel pump trigger as it turns. Also you can hook up a spark plug to coil and ground to watch it spark too, if it's working properly.

16. 07-11-2019 11:44 AM #14
      That would work.