Fourtitude.com - Go ahead...ask those car questions you were always afraid to ask...
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 222 of 296 FirstFirst ... 122172212218219220221222223224225226232272 ... LastLast
    Results 5,526 to 5,550 of 7395
      11-17-2015 10:03 AM #5526
      Quote Originally Posted by VAsteve View Post
      If disc brakes are better than drums in cars, why do 18-wheelers still use drums?
      Because they work better in the application, just like they work better on old cars that were designed with them. I've never seen a disc brake conversion that worked as people thought they should. No one ever seems to get the from/rear bias right.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      '01 S2K, '18 GSW, '18 CX5 GT
      11-17-2015 10:09 AM #5527
      Quote Originally Posted by Quinn1.8t View Post
      Wow.
      Expose your cracks and love will fill them.

Cars
      2013 GTI / 2017 GTI / 68 Chevy C10
      11-19-2015 01:19 PM #5528
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      How... how do you even get in this situation, and then not know how to fix it yourself?

Was this a mexican build car?
      2017 Mk VII GTI 2013 Mk VI GTI 1974 Kawasaki H2, 2008 Honda CRF150R

Cars
      11-19-2015 01:23 PM #5529
      Quote Originally Posted by GTijoejoe View Post
      ohhhhh great question.

If disk brakes are better, key word is if... in some situations.

Pro's to disk brakes
      -Lighter weight
      -Quicker modulation for ABS and VSA functions (this is the main reason why on passenger cars)
      -Cooling rate
      -Less parts

Pro's to drum brakes
      -Cheaper (very important for commercial vehicles)
      -Pad life (they are massive in size)
      -Massive heat capacity for the drum
      -Higher brake effectiveness (yes, drums actually more effective than disk brakes)

Commercial trucks are basically non stop, they need long life parts and they need them to be cheap. You'll be surprised how cheap a brake job is for a tractor. The life and massive amount of heat capacity required for commercial brakes is best packaged as a drum. That mixed with the high effectiveness of a drum application and being able to be boosted by non hydraulic actuation is the reason why they still exist today.

Another application where high heat capacity is required is aircraft, however the weight is the highest concern. So these are carbon-carbon multi disk packs like a clutch system, and incredibly expensive.

Weird because I've had cars that the drum brakes faded to nothing in a panic stop Maybe commercial trucks use completely oversized brakes and can get away with it.

Cars
      '06 Evo Mr, '17 Ridgeline RTL, '18 Accord Sport
      11-19-2015 03:38 PM #5530
      Quote Originally Posted by 82Turbo930 View Post
      Weird because I've had cars that the drum brakes faded to nothing in a panic stop Maybe commercial trucks use completely oversized brakes and can get away with it.
      I understand your point, but your assumption is correct.
      The same could be said about any comparison to another disk system for instance.
      Friction and thermal capacity would control that fade by its sizing, not necessarily the type of brake.
      There are more pro's and con's then what I listed, I just wanted to give an introductory type of answer which is good enough for most people.

There are some disk brakes for light duty commercial trucks (ambulance size), normally for front application.
      Tractors carry so much weight that drum brakes are a drop in the bucket, capacity and cost of repair would be a primary reason for that application.
      2.0T+034efi+meth = 300+whp = RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      Everyone always praises function over form until the form is something that they don't like

7. 11-19-2015 11:12 PM #5531
      I need the Vortex's Help on this one -- -- --

Background ::: I was out Drag racing my ACVW and had a gentleman approach me and ask me this question -- --

""" Hey Dude, could you help me out??? I've got two different sets of ported heads and I don't know which one is the best -- My buddy says to bolt one of each up onto the engine and the one that works the best will cause the car to pull in the opposite direction...... What do you think?????"""

My jaw hurt from it hitting the ground so hard -- -- The only reply I could come up with was ""It's worth a try"" -- -- Was I being bad by leading him further a stray???

Cars
      Logitech G29
      11-19-2015 11:46 PM #5532
      Quote Originally Posted by Giovanni View Post
      does it matter if I mix synthetic oil and dino oil? Sometimes I top off my oil with regular oil and the rest of the oil is synthetic.
      Yes, no worries at all. American Petroleum Institute (the API "starburst" symbol on all major oil brand bottles) ensures that dino and syn oil are compatible. Many brands sell synthetic blend oils off the shelf which is already both mixed, and most "conventionals" these days (Group II+ for my oil geeks out there) actually contain a small percentage of synthetic to pass tightening motor oil standards.

Cars
      11-20-2015 07:44 AM #5533
      Quote Originally Posted by Fiatdude View Post
      I need the Vortex's Help on this one -- -- --

Background ::: I was out Drag racing my ACVW and had a gentleman approach me and ask me this question -- --

""" Hey Dude, could you help me out??? I've got two different sets of ported heads and I don't know which one is the best -- My buddy says to bolt one of each up onto the engine and the one that works the best will cause the car to pull in the opposite direction...... What do you think?????"""

My jaw hurt from it hitting the ground so hard -- -- The only reply I could come up with was ""It's worth a try"" -- -- Was I being bad by leading him further a stray???

Yeah, if the car flips on the passenger side, the driver side head is the one you want. If it flips on the drivers side, the passenger head is the stronger head.

10. Member
      Cars
      2008 Hyundai Accent, 2007 S2000
      11-20-2015 08:13 AM #5534
      Do all hybrid cars' "combine power" are (not) full time power? For example, CRZ has a combine power of 130hp. 110hp from gasoline engine and 20hp from electric motor. If I track the CRZ, will I always get 130hp from both engine/motor? Or will I actually use up battery (not charging fast enough in racing) so I will get full power (130hp) at the beginning and then I only get 110hp (engine only) and then full power on and off because the battery keep charging and discharging??
      Last edited by Avus; 11-20-2015 at 08:24 AM.
      “I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

Cars
      '06 Evo Mr, '17 Ridgeline RTL, '18 Accord Sport
      11-20-2015 09:53 AM #5535
      Quote Originally Posted by Avus View Post
      Do all hybrid cars' "combine power" are (not) full time power? For example, CRZ has a combine power of 130hp. 110hp from gasoline engine and 20hp from electric motor. If I track the CRZ, will I always get 130hp from both engine/motor? Or will I actually use up battery (not charging fast enough in racing) so I will get full power (130hp) at the beginning and then I only get 110hp (engine only) and then full power on and off because the battery keep charging and discharging??
      Typically all hybrid vehicles will deplete the electric power faster than it can regen. So yes, if you flog the hell out of any of these vehicles eventually you'll be 100% engine. There is no specific answer to how long it will last, depends on electric energy withdraw, battery capacity, and regen.
      2.0T+034efi+meth = 300+whp = RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      Everyone always praises function over form until the form is something that they don't like

12. 11-20-2015 12:39 PM #5536
      Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      Because they work better in the application, just like they work better on old cars that were designed with them. I've never seen a disc brake conversion that worked as people thought they should. No one ever seems to get the from/rear bias right.
      So why does everyone convert rear drums to disks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. 11-20-2015 12:46 PM #5537
      do transmission/coolant "flushes", include everything a "replace transmission/coolant" service has? Flush might be a buzzword, I don't want to pay extra for something that isn't worth it.
      thanks

11-20-2015 12:53 PM #5538
      Quote Originally Posted by thegave View Post
      So why does everyone convert rear drums to disks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Because they've never experienced properly adjusted drum brakes. A lot has to do with the lining material. A lot has to do with the arcing of the shoes to the drums. If you put new shoes in an old drum it will only have a small contact watch and underperform and glaze the overheated patch. Maximum contact from day one is the only way to properly set up drum brakes. There are very few places that do that, but most semi truck repair shops do them as drum is still the predominant brake system for big trucks. The first shop I worked in had a machine, but they were extremely hazardous and most went away.

The biggest problem with drums is heat dissipation, but, if you're not driving a race car in the mountains it's rarely been a problem for the average consumer. Imagine the billions of miles that were driven at speed before disc even came along. Appropriately sized dum brakes are just as effective under normal conditions as disc.

Rear brakes do a lower level task than the fronts so I really not understand the swap for a normal car.

15. 11-20-2015 01:11 PM #5539
      Car is currently at the dealer who is looking into why (twice in one week) my car suddenly slipped out of DRIVE while at a stop light. I was advised of a leak coming from the front cover about a month ago when i was getting my oil changed. CPO up at 58k miles. Currently just under 75k miles. Please advise on the "unofficial" DSG transmission warranty i have been reading about on the forum. Thanks!

Cars
      GOLF 99, 18 Nismo Econobox
      11-20-2015 01:14 PM #5540
      Could a bad CAT cause top end issues? Car has power through the lower part of the band after 4k RPM the car feels dead, it revs, it moves just not at the same pace.

VW GOL 1.6L engine 8V

Cars
      VW Fox 16v
      11-20-2015 01:51 PM #5541
      Quote Originally Posted by carissa0528 View Post
      Car is currently at the dealer who is looking into why (twice in one week) my car suddenly slipped out of DRIVE while at a stop light. I was advised of a leak coming from the front cover about a month ago when i was getting my oil changed. CPO up at 58k miles. Currently just under 75k miles. Please advise on the "unofficial" DSG transmission warranty i have been reading about on the forum. Thanks!
      Your thread over here is probably better for specific questions.

I would say that any fluid leak is worth investigating, and that any of the more complicated auto transmissions are really not going to enjoy being run low on fluid.

A good one for this thread would be a question about your fear of being ripped off..: "i dont want to be bent over on the price of this repair as i am a woman and im sure they see me as a target for extra dollar signs.", if you want to get insight into that.

Quote Originally Posted by SICKVDUB1 View Post
      Could a bad CAT cause top end issues? Car has power through the lower part of the band after 4k RPM the car feels dead, it revs, it moves just not at the same pace.

VW GOL 1.6L engine 8V
      Yeah, a blocked cat could that do that, but it could also be a bunch of other more complicated things. If you have the ability to remove the cat and look through it you should be able to see if it's clogged pretty damn quickly to rule it out.

Cars
      11-20-2015 03:18 PM #5542
      Ok, could you actually build a car with all the buttons that Speed Racer has on his powerful Mach V's steering wheel and make them truly function in day to day street driving?

..... or not?

Cars
      2004 Volvo S60R
      11-21-2015 12:24 AM #5543
      Hello everyone,

Currently I have a 5.0 swapped e36 m3, with some sort of draw that kills the battery over a few days if I don't drive it. My question is, can I install a battery shut off and switch that every time I park to stop the draw?
      Never run out of real estate, traction, and ideas at the same time

l
      2004 Volvo S60R- Current l 1999 BMW M3 5.0- Sold l 2008 Mitubishi Evolution GSR- Sold l 2006 CBR 600rr - Sold l 2001 Ducati 748 Biposto - Sold l 1993 MR2 Turbo - Sold l 2006 Buell XB12 SCG - Sold l 1991 Jetta GLI VR6 - Sold l 1991 Volkswagen Corrado G60 - Sold l

20. 11-21-2015 12:41 AM #5544
      The biggest problem with drums is heat dissipation, but, if you're not driving a race car in the mountains it's rarely been a problem for the average consumer. Imagine the billions of miles that were driven at speed before disc even came along. Appropriately sized dum brakes are just as effective under normal conditions as disc.

Rear brakes do a lower level task than the fronts so I really not understand the swap for a normal car.
      So disks are better than drums for track cars because they dissipate heat faster, but drums generally have a higher heat capacity?

11-21-2015 06:19 AM #5545
      Quote Originally Posted by thegave View Post
      So disks are better than drums for track cars because they dissipate heat faster, but drums generally have a higher heat capacity?
      I don't know about heat capacity, but brake shoes have more friction surface than brake pads. Drums trap heat, so they aren't great for race cars, but how many people actually track their car? Fewer than those that say they do, I'm sure.

Disc brakes do regenerate their braking power faster than drum after driving through deep water, but how often does that happen?

Cars
      12 Golf 2.5, 90 Jetta GLI 16v, 99.5 Cabrio Highline, 92 Golf GL
      11-21-2015 09:05 AM #5546
      I think most people convert drums to discs for maintenance purposes, and they look cooler I think it's easier to service discs than drums.

This reminds me of the OHC vs. OHV argument. They both work well enough, and both have their minor benefits and drawbacks (which change depending on the specific requirements). One is considered "old" and the other "new". Does it really matter? No. But I like the way my rear discs look As for fronts, I think discs are better on passenger cars, no?

Quote Originally Posted by EUROTHRASH View Post
      Hello everyone,

Currently I have a 5.0 swapped e36 m3, with some sort of draw that kills the battery over a few days if I don't drive it. My question is, can I install a battery shut off and switch that every time I park to stop the draw?
      You could, but why not figure out what it is? Plus, modern ECUs need power when off to do some things, and keep memory, don't they?
      Last edited by VDub2625; 11-21-2015 at 09:08 AM.
      A2Resource

Cars
      Corrado 16vt, 14 LR4, LX450, 08 GTI, 11 Subaru LGT, 89 Jetta 1.6d HE200, 79 Rabbit, Bigfoot 24SL 4x4
      11-21-2015 09:17 AM #5547
      Quote Originally Posted by EUROTHRASH View Post
      Hello everyone,

Quote Originally Posted by VDub2625 View Post
      You could, but why not figure out what it is?
      x2

Run one of your battery cables through an ammeter, then start pulling fuses until you find the circuit with the current draw.

11-21-2015 09:22 AM #5548
      Quote Originally Posted by VDub2625 View Post
      I think it's easier to service discs than drums.
      Not if you actually know what you're doing.

Drums are far less susceptible to corrosion.

11-21-2015 09:24 AM #5549
      Quote Originally Posted by jmaddocks View Post
      x2

Run one of your battery cables through an ammeter, then start pulling fuses until you find the circuit with the current draw.
      It's easier to pull a fuse and use a test light across the terminals. The degree of brightness tells you the draw.

Cars
      12 Golf 2.5, 90 Jetta GLI 16v, 99.5 Cabrio Highline, 92 Golf GL
      11-21-2015 09:29 AM #5550
      Not if you actually know what you're doing.

Drums are far less susceptible to corrosion.
      Strange thing I've noticed is, with the Mk6 Jetta at least, the drums cost way more to replace than the discs. Rear discs (parts only, that's my dept) run $180-200, rear drums are $360. And they don't seem to last longer... I've sold them on cars with 40-60k, and my Mk6 Golf's 4 wheel discs are still OE at 72k...
      A2Resource

Page 222 of 296 FirstFirst ... 122172212218219220221222223224225226232272 ... LastLast