Fourtitude.com - Carbon Fiber Car Parts
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    1. 03-09-2008 04:21 PM #26
      Hey I just recently went into business for myself and I have 8 years experience with carbon fiber, let me know if u are looking for anything.
      check out my web cite
      http://www.carbonfibersolutions.net
      Ric R

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 01-18-2009 03:40 PM #27
      awesome

4. 03-07-2009 10:21 AM #28
      We have a guy that races with our series that can make and sell fiberglass body (Qtrs,fenders,hood,roof,etc) for MkII scirocco. Several guys running with us have switched to his vw scirocco body to save on wt. Costs about $1500 for whole body. Looks great,

5. 03-31-2009 08:53 PM #29
      It's actually alot easier than it seems, using common sense of course.
      I've been doing CF parts and repairs for 12 years, we have done CF "emergency" repairs on our race car numerous times, from 45 minutes to severe repairs that have taken 6 hours.
      We've used vacuum bagging and have also made repairs without.
      Vacuum bagging makes your repair look professional and will be the strongest.
      It IS possible to do CF work and have a bitchin' piece that everyone think has been Autoclaved and or vacuum bagged. It's mainly a time and experience thing.
      For anyone who says that you CAN'T do a CF repair without vacuum bagging, that's rubbish...our repairs on our Funny Car have made passes in the 1/4 mile in excess of 333 MPH!!!
      http://www.fiberglast.com and http://www.infinityfrp.com are 2 places we purchase 90% of our supplies for CF work....another quick note, DO NOT use fiberglass resin on CF!!!!!
      You must use Epoxy for strength and durability.
      West System seems to be the best stuff I've used for this, I purchase it at http://www.aircraftspruce.com.
      Hope this will help a little...just my 2 cents!

6. 03-31-2009 08:54 PM #30
      ...one more thing, if your making your own molds...without getting into extreme detail, don't forget release agent!

7. 06-21-2011 10:45 PM #31
      good guy who can make a vw bug shell out of carbon fiber. i want a kevlar/fiber blend. i am in the navy and have the money. i want it to be a show car and be a race car at the same time. i dont know alot about it but i know alot about kevlar and would like the strength of kevlar and weight of carbon fiber. if you can please get back to me.

8. 06-01-2019 06:57 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Pzych0 View Post
      Well this looks like a good place to start
      Considering the fact most racing cars use carbon fiber parts
      I am looking for helpp from anyone that can give me infomation on carbon. Making my own custom parts for my car.
      Im looking for information on using Carbon Fiber and what quatities to use the expoxy resin's in.
      Any and all help will be appreciated [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Sounds like your falling into the trap that many do. You see a race car with carbon, and then you have to have carbon because you must have what the race cars have.

I'd take a step back and figure out what you really want from your car. If your trying to build a fast car, you should start with: tires, suspension, bracing, engine performance, etc.

When it comes to weight loss, your wasting time with carbon until you pull as much weight out of everything else as you can. Carbon fiber is very time consuming, and your better off starting with weight savings elsewhere. Carbon fiber makes it's biggest difference when you cant pull weight out of anything else.

Besides that, if you still intend on creating carbon parts, you should be aware of the work involved. Unless your a hedge fund banker with rolls of cash, your going to be doing resin infusion instead of autoclave cures. Resin infusion is relatively inexpensive. You will need a vacuum pump, dry carbon, resin, vacuum bag, bag tape, molds, and access to an oven big enough for your parts when post curing. Molds are by far the most expensive part if your going to CNC them. Time is also a big part of carbon work. The actual infusion will occur in an hour or two, but there is a lot of prep and post work to be done. Molds must be sanded to a perfect finish which can take days.

Like I said above, I suggest you take a step back and consider what you really want from the car. Unless your in a highly competitive race series, your biggest improvements will not involve carbon fiber.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

9. 06-01-2019 07:02 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Kanoa9321 View Post
      last time I went and bought fiberglass I think the guy saif CF was $40 a square yard
      Might be $40 for prepreg carbon, but dry carbon should be cheaper than that. Depends on the quality of course.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12