Fourtitude.com - Englishtown Raceway Park NJ, CLOSING??
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      08-03-2004 06:49 PM #1
      Sad to see this thread come back around... Raceway Park is NOT closing ... BUT are stopping drag racing. See page 2 for link... SHOWS such as the swap meets, water fest will go on unless water fest decides to move its venue.
      Last edited by 5309; 01-24-2018 at 10:54 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 08-03-2004 08:35 PM #2
      wow there are sooo many things that go on there every year too, not just Waterfest but other events like drift comps. I hope it works out

08-04-2004 01:26 AM #3
      yup and NHRA, and other funny car events.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 08-04-2004 11:58 AM #4
      wow....do you all think waterfest has played a role in this, waterfest is only once a year.

7. 08-04-2004 12:09 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by mkiirocco »
      wow....do you all think waterfest has played a role in this, waterfest is only once a year.

nah, it shouldnt have anything to do with WF...it's mainly because the snobs and soccer-moms that bought $500K+ homes around that area are too stupid to realize that noise will come from a RACE TRACK!
      i'm sure they will lose, because englishtown doesn't have ANYTHING else... the town would be a ghost town without that track there...
      they are only complaining about the UN-muffled time trials and funny car/Top-fuel cars...which only run in the daytime on weekends anyway...

8. 08-04-2004 12:14 PM #6
      Quote, originally posted by maniac_productions »
      nah, it shouldnt have anything to do with WF...it's mainly because the snobs and soccer-moms that bought $500K+ homes around that area are too stupid to realize that noise will come from a RACE TRACK!
      i'm sure they will lose, because englishtown doesn't have ANYTHING else... the town would be a ghost town without that track there...
      they are only complaining about the UN-muffled time trials and funny car/Top-fuel cars...which only run in the daytime on weekends anyway...

good point, you set warmth in my heart with that

9. 08-05-2004 12:49 AM #7
      F ucken people. get a life. you bought a house by a race track what do you expect. people will bitch about anything and everything.
      Well i am not a us citizen but i will be sending in my email, so the rich bitc h that wants to sleep in with the pool boy can't, lol
      Forsale: Full screen MFA Euro Cluster :337 BBS RC's mint : Euro Gamma Radio with indash 6 Disc CD Changer : Lots of other misc parts : Parts Located In Canada
      Please search my user name for parts for sale.

10. 08-05-2004 05:08 PM #8
      email sent

11. 08-05-2004 11:51 PM #9
      So did anyone who lives in the E-Town area go to this meeting Thursday night?? Please post the URL of any newspapers that covered the meeting.
      Charlie

'80 VW Rabbit "C" - 81 VW Pickup - '85 VW Golf - 1987 GTI 16V - 2002 New Beetle - 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4, 5.7L V8
      Visit the Unofficial GTI 16V Home Page at www.gti16v.org

Cars
      '88 Jetta GTX 12v S/C, '90 Cabby 2.0, ''14 Beetle 2.5. '02 GTI 1.8T, '03 Cabby 2.0
      08-06-2004 11:18 AM #10
      Quote, originally posted by charlier »
      So did anyone who lives in the E-Town area go to this meeting Thursday night?? Please post the URL of any newspapers that covered the meeting.

[IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Ted
      '88 GTX 12vS/C PVW Jan. '05
      Jersey Hooligans
      MK2Maydaywheel-whoresSam DobbinsMoreThanMoreSqueakyThingerLondonCartelGermanSquad

13. 08-06-2004 06:35 PM #11
      Quote, originally posted by Sawdust »
      F ucken people. get a life. you bought a house by a race track what do you expect. people will bitch about anything and everything.
      Well i am not a us citizen but i will be sending in my email, so the rich bitc h that wants to sleep in with the pool boy can't, lol

exactly this is like people who move next to an airport and complainging about the noise.
      @brokedicknick

14. 08-06-2004 07:45 PM #12
      Quote, originally posted by charlier »

Raceway Park gets roar of support
      Noise complaints examined at hearing
      Friday, August 06, 2004 BY PATRICK JENKINS Star-Ledger Staff
      Supporters of Old Bridge Township Raceway Park last night packed a public hearing on the fate of the racetrack, emotionally telling a pair of state legislators the landmark venue should stay and residents who don't like its noise should move. Incensed by what they said were relentless efforts by some residents near the track to close it, racing fans filled 200 seats in the auditorium of the Monmouth County Library Headquarters building in Manalapan, lined the side and back walls, and filled a side walkway and the staircase leading up and out of the structure. Assemblymen Michael Panter and Robert Morgan (both D-Monmouth) called the hearing as a way to help find a compromise solution to the noise problems some residents have with the racetrack, just over the border in Old Bridge, Middlesex County.
      The lawmakers said they want to provide noise relief while allowing the track to operate fully. They had sign-in sheets at the entrances and asked those who intended to speak to check whether they supported the racetrack or the neighbors. More than 120 people signed up, and the majority checked the racetrack, aides said. it has become a life-or-death issue for track supporters because the legislators have said they are considering drafting a bill that would remove Raceway Park's exemption from the state's noise law, a move track operators say would effectively put them out of business.
      Aides to Panter and Morgan said the room was chosen because it has a capacity of 500 people. The overwhelming majority of those in attendance last night were supporters of Raceway Park. They held up signs saying, "I love racing. I vote," which were stacked on tables by the entrances.
      Most speaking in support of the racetrack claimed the 40-year-old venue was there long before the complaining residents.
      Typical was Stewart Lerner, who said he was in the car with his 12-year-old son, listening to a radio talk show on the issue, and a caller said he knew the track was there when he bought his house but didn't know it would be so loud
      "My 12-year-old son started laughing and said that was like going into a pool and saying you know it would be wet but not that wet," Lerner said.
      Karen Lechter spoke in favor of some sort of compromise, noting her 10-acre property abuts Raceway Park and has been in her family for three generations.
      "I have to check their schedule to see if I can invite guests for the weekend," she said. Then she added, "I was here first," in rebuttal to those claiming the track was there before the residents.
      Several other neighbors said they didn't want to shut Raceway Park but believed some compromise could be reached.
      At one point, Manalapan Mayor Beth Ford grabbed the microphone and shouted, "I love racing and I vote. The only reason I moved here is because my husband took me on a date to Raceway Park. If we shut down Raceway Park, what would we get? Thousands more homes we don't need? We're not here to close the racetrack, we're here to see what people have to say."
      Much of the talk concerned a 1981 appellate court ruling prohibitng Raceway Park from exceeding 70 decibels during the day and 60 at night.
      Many of the homeowners contended Raceway Park frequently exceeded those limits and demanded that authorities enforce the court order.
      But according to Raceway Park attorney Michael Leckstein of Little Silver, the track is not limited to those levels because of a 1985 court order.
      He said that order was the result of a trial before Superior Court Judge Marshall Selikoff, who determined it was impossible for Raceway Park to always meet the decibel limits of the 1981 court order and therefore concluded the track "should not be enjoined from emitting noise which exceeds 70 decibels during the daytime and 60 decibels at night." Leckstein said he informed Panter and Morgan about the court decision before last night's hearing.
      Morgan and Panter said the legislation they are drafting is really "a last resort" they would prefer not to use. The bill they propose would remove Raceway Park's exemption from the New Jersey Noise Act of 1971, which track officials say would effectively put them out of business.
      Patrick Jenkins works in the Middlesex County bureau.. He can be reached at (732) 404-8090 or pjen [email protected]
      http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/...0.xml

15. 08-08-2004 08:07 PM #13
      i hate stupid people. its just like living by an airport, except not as bad. the only person who should have any say is the woman who was there first.

16. 08-08-2004 08:12 PM #14
      Quote, originally posted by Sawdust »

maybe they will want to sell the houses dirt cheap then parties at the houses for waterfest....just my 2 pennies

Cars
      98 Subaru Forester S - Multiple XS650s
      08-09-2004 11:06 PM #15
      Same things happen up here at our track. Nothing has gone through. Just a curfew.
      Pete
      Columbia Customs
      Welding/Motorcycle Fabrication
      Various MK3 Parts For Sale!
      RIP Alexi

08-10-2004 01:16 AM #16
      Quote, originally posted by Ghetto-8v »
      Same things happen up here at our track. Nothing has gone through. Just a curfew.

thats the thing, i think E-Town already has a curfew 10pm i think

19. 08-10-2004 01:28 AM #17
      Did anyone bring up how it would effect the community? Or economy? I noticed a lot more than just a race track when I was at Waterfest, Slalom course, cart track, motorcross track, ect..I was I had that stuff in my city growing up. Yeah I know I'm rambling but that's just messed up.

20. 08-10-2004 02:24 PM #18
      Quote, originally posted by M. Turner »
      i hate stupid people. its just like living by an airport, except not as bad. the only person who should have any say is the woman who was there first.

But she really wasn't....the land had been in her family for three generations..not as in her personal land. She can move...I am sure the track would buy her property....they ran the racecars out of BridgeHampton Race Track in LI because of housing deveoplments, and now the housing developments did not sell well, and most of the land is sitting empty....
      Sean
      •1995 VW Jetta GLX •2006 Saab Aero Convertible •1970 VW Bettle •2005 Audi TT 225Q(Mrs.)

Airbags: The Padded Bra of the Automotive World.

21. 08-10-2004 02:44 PM #19
      Quote, originally posted by Toxcheap »
      Did anyone bring up how it would effect the community? Or economy? I noticed a lot more than just a race track when I was at Waterfest, Slalom course, cart track, motorcross track, ect..I was I had that stuff in my city growing up. Yeah I know I'm rambling but that's just messed up.

Impact on the local economy is a valid concern. What would the impact be on local motels, restaurants, gas stations, fast food places and other companies that serve Raceway Park if the facility would close? Can you say increased unemployment, business closures, local economic downturn?? How many tens of millions of dollars are pumped into the local economy by people coming to RP for events each year? What about the taxes on the facility, taxes on the income of the employees and entertainment taxes RP pays the local community?? Where do the home owners think the local community will get this lost revenue from?
      Charlie

'80 VW Rabbit "C" - 81 VW Pickup - '85 VW Golf - 1987 GTI 16V - 2002 New Beetle - 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4, 5.7L V8
      Visit the Unofficial GTI 16V Home Page at www.gti16v.org

Cars
      98 Subaru Forester S - Multiple XS650s
      08-10-2004 10:24 PM #20
      It sure would cut some damn traffic down. I think NHRA would step in and keep the track their at any cost. It's one of the favorite tracks amongst many drivers.
      Pete
      Columbia Customs
      Welding/Motorcycle Fabrication
      Various MK3 Parts For Sale!
      RIP Alexi

08-10-2004 10:46 PM #21
      thats the thing... this is really all that OLD BRIDGE has... they have nothing else worth while....

Cars
      1987 vw cabriolet, 2003 jetta wagon
      08-12-2004 11:47 PM #22
      Quote, originally posted by Mk4VeeDub »
      thats the thing... this is really all that OLD BRIDGE has... they have nothing else worth while....

how true...raceway park keeps them on the map.
      i love that track...it would be very sad if they shut it down...
      mice used to live in it, now i drive it...1987 cabriolet

08-16-2004 12:28 AM #23
      yeah.. it is sad.. i been going there ever since i was a little kid

26. Senior Member
      08-17-2004 04:50 PM #24
      This comes up all the time. every year for a long long time.. This does sound a little more serious then most of the rumors that go around that its closing. but still the people in the towns may not want the track.. but the towns sure do.. There are people who have had land there for several generatins yes, but 90% of the people in that area are new, especially the neighboring towns that are the ones complaining.. tey dont' get anyitng from it since the hotels/businesses are not located there that would benefit from the track being open.. I live several towns over and before I bought my house from my parents they could hear the cars running on certain weekends.. were 15miles straight line if I had ot guess. I attend shows at e-town and race there.. Hell my parents met working there in HS at the snackbar on the pit side
      I'll keep an eye on this in the local papers.

08-18-2004 12:49 AM #25
      Quote, originally posted by chris86vw »
      I'll keep an eye on this in the local papers.

Good looking out [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast