VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

How do you wash your car towels?

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  gruppe-b 
#1 ·
I just found some detailing towels that I never washed. With spring getting near, I figured I should wash them. This sort of stumped me. What kind of detergent do you guys use when you wash your car towels. I am talking about the towels you use to clean your windows with and the towels you use to quick detail your car. I never know what to use. I don't want to use some scented stuff because I figured that isn't what you are supposed to use.
Lets hear it guys/gals...

#2 ·
Re: How do you wash your car towels? (user name unknown)

For towels used, terry cloth, wash the ones you use for wax removal, cleaning of interior, etc in any good detergent and warm water.
Once the washing is complete, rewash, but use two cups of vinegar in place of the detergent, warm cycle.
This removes most of the chemicals from the towels.
For towels used for "glass only", always keep glass towels for glass only, wash them seperate from the other towels, same way.
Dry seperately, NO SOFTENER< in the Glass towels. Softeners are silicone based and may cause streaking of the glass.
I suggest you obtain some used surgical towels, or also known as "huck" towels for your glass, not terry cloth. Will clean the glass better, and no lint.
Fold these towels into quarters, use one to agitate the glass cleaner, in striaght lines and a second, folded to remove in striaght lines, not circles.

If you have micro fibers, wash in warm water and detergent, no softener, and NO BLEACH, dry on low setting, also seperate from all other towels.

It is important to wash and dry, seperately each type of towel, and what their use is from each other. This elimentates "cross contamination" of products in towels.
I believe we have a tech tip on this on our site under "tech tips" section at http://www.autoint.com.
Ketch http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#4 ·
Re: How do you wash your car towels? (StattlichPassat)

I am not doubting you BUT is a little quik detailer really going to hurt if I use it on the windows next after it is washed? I mean, its gonna go in the wash.
For me, I soak my towels with wax or other paint products in hot water with laundry detergent then wash them with the other clean ones. And I only use a dryer towel once and then wash it to eliminate any chance of dirt getting in the towel and scratching the paint.

#5 ·
Re: How do you wash your car towels? (jettaivglxvr6)

Perhaps, perhaps not.
We deal with professional detailers, carwashes, etc, where towels often contribute to many of the issues that are discussed here.
Like glass cleaners streaking, when in most cases it is not the glass cleaner but the condition of the towel, etc.
A bit of a difference from the enthusist, what I provided was for shops, etc, how to properly care for towels.
Ketch http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#7 ·

What, you are hypoallergenic?
Scent is just a scent, has nothing to do with the cleaning abilities, just a marketing ploy like scented tire dressings or waxes, nothing to do with performance.
Use Tide, use, All, use Cheer, use whatever detergent you wish.
Ketch

#9 ·

I wash all my cotton towels together, and all my microfiber towels together. I wash the wax applicator pads with the cotton towels, but I rinse them out before I put them in the wash. I've been using tide forever, that's just my thing.
I've never had any issues washing towels used for different cleaning purposes together. Just make sure you separate microfiber from cotton. The lint from the cotton will adhere to the microfiber, and will piss you off. Happy cleaning!

#11 ·
regarding which detergent to use--there are lots of good Youtube channels to watch on this subject,one of which is a Canadian fellow named "Pan the Organiser" .He suggests only using *liquid* laundry detergent for car towels to lessen the chance of scratching paint.He says that dry powdered soaps can make it through a wash cycle intact if you use too much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.