VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

specialty file: Callaway Turbo

7K views 34 replies 21 participants last post by  Mr. Mojo 
#1 · (Edited)

Modified by andlf at 11:07 AM 6-9-2009

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: specialty file: Callaway Turbo (justinsvr6)

cool stuff.. I actually have a framed 18x24? picture of that car in my office. I work with someone who worked at Callaway, and he got the picture from Reeves Callaway when he left the company. I guess he used to have it in his office there
edit: actually, maybe its not that exact car.. looked like it at first, but it might have been one of their test cars

Modified by Slayer at 11:35 AM 5-6-2009

#4 ·

here's a pic of it before I took the glass out (had a crack in it)

#5 ·
Re: specialty file: Callaway Turbo (Slayer)

^
cool.

#7 ·

Base price of a (then) brand new GTI: $8,990
Price as tested with Callaway turbo conversion: $17,557
That's nearly a 100% increase! However, it is comparable to what it would cost to do the same thing today to a brand new 2009 GTI, which lists at $23,230 base. Add the APR Stage III w/ Intercooler and w/ Fuel Pump, wheels, body kit, and suspension mods and you'd be right around $45k depending on exact specifications.

#8 ·

Quote, originally posted by justinsvr6 »
WOW...never seen a GTI Callaway.
Anyone know how many were produced?
or has anyone seen one for sale?

They made them for MKI's even earlier. I remember seeing an article about Paul Newman and his Callaway Rabbit.

#10 ·
Re: (Spinnaker)

^
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

#15 ·
Re: FV-QR (warrenW)

Quote, originally posted by warrenW »
ive always loved mk2's.
turbo is definitely a bonus.

i love mk2's! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#18 ·
Re: specialty file: Callaway Turbo (FLY-GTI1)

Quote, originally posted by FLY-GTI1 »

They made them for MKI's even earlier. I remember seeing an article about Paul Newman and his Callaway Rabbit.

Yup, they did.. the guy I work with used to have an 81? mk1 caddy pickup with a stage2 callaway system. He said it was like 1 of 6? original ones done at the callaway shop. He sold it years ago to some guy in illinois, and told me if I ever found one for sale to let him know.. just so happens that I found one local that was at a tuning shop, and I sent him the link. He stopped by to look at it, and it was his old truck! I guess it was in pretty poor shape though, but it was still cool that I found it.

#20 ·
Re: FV-QR (ThisSpaceForRent)

thanks for posting
I really llove this car http://****************.com/smile/emgift.gif

#21 ·
Re: specialty file: Callaway Turbo (andlf)

Wow- I don't ever remember reading about (or seeing) that car before. Cool.
But it does illustrate some of the compromises with modified cars.
-18mpg (premium), 150hp, $17,500, 1985.
That's more than a 150hp 1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE.
Of course- when driven hard, the GSL-SE would probably get worse than 18mpg.

#22 ·
Re: specialty file: Callaway Turbo (FLY-GTI1)

Quote, originally posted by FLY-GTI1 »

They also made Callaway Sciroccos. About 25 are known to have been produced in 1982. The whereabouts of 3 are currently known/confirmed.
Pics of the two I have seen:

They also sold aftermarket turbo kits for Rabbits and Sciroccos earlier than that.
Pics of Callaway Mk1 Sciroccos:

#23 ·
Re: specialty file: Callaway Turbo (Slayer)

Quote, originally posted by Slayer »

Yup, they did.. the guy I work with used to have an 81? mk1 caddy pickup with a stage2 callaway system. He said it was like 1 of 6? original ones done at the callaway shop. He sold it years ago to some guy in illinois, and told me if I ever found one for sale to let him know.. just so happens that I found one local that was at a tuning shop, and I sent him the link. He stopped by to look at it, and it was his old truck! I guess it was in pretty poor shape though, but it was still cool that I found it.

There was a brown or grey Caddy available around 2003 that once belonged to Reeves Callaway's wife. The undercarriage and body was toast. I recall someone picked it up and dismantled it just as quick for the parts and turbo kit. It had a few extra gauges in the cockpit. Anyhow, interesting to hear about a Callaway Caddy as no one talks about them.
Jim

#26 ·
Re: specialty file: Callaway Turbo (Chris16vRocco)

Quote, originally posted by Chris16vRocco »

They also made Callaway Sciroccos. About 25 are known to have been produced in 1982.

i'd like to take one for a spin.
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.