VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Cadillac 3.6L TT will have 410hp - highest output of GM V6 in history

8K views 42 replies 34 participants last post by  Gus Polinski 
#1 ·
See less See more
#4 ·
Why would anyone want this engine in the Corvette? :confused: I guess if you wanted to mod it would be easy to jack up the boost, but stock for stock the LT1 is more powerful, torquier, probably sounds better and is likely lighter with better real-world fuel economy too

#5 ·
It'll also have better response (no turbo lag), and will make a more consistent sports car motor since there aren't turbos that jack up the oil and air inlet temps.

The only reason they even went with the TT V6 on the ATS-V is to play "me too" with the Europeans. The demographic that shops M3, RS4, etc are a bunch of ignorant Euro morons. They think the LT1 is the same small block that Chevy sold in a 57 Bel Air.

There is no car that would be better off with the TT V6 over the LT1. Unfortunately, people's perceptions are why the TT V6 exist in the first place.

#19 ·
smaller engine size?
Aren't taxes in certain European countries based on the cubic inches of the engine?
Shh don't tell that to Europeans! The CTS came up as a thread on my fitness forum and several European members came charging in denouncing Cadillac because the engines suck the cars suck oh and why ATS get terrible fuel economy compared to BMW? Oh right because American cars are fuel sucking pigs.

#23 ·
Pretty impressive specs... should be fun.

I'm in the camp that thinks this engine is to meet current downsizing trends. Real world numbers might not pan out to be any better, but a turbo motor beats a NA V8 in government economy testing pretty much every time.

Shh don't tell that to Europeans! The CTS came up as a thread on my fitness forum and several European members came charging in denouncing Cadillac because the engines suck the cars suck oh and why ATS get terrible fuel economy compared to BMW? Oh right because American cars are fuel sucking pigs.
The ATS isn't as good as its BMW counterpart in terms of fuel economy tho. They have a valid point. From what I've read, all the Cadillac new models are a little weak when it comes to real world economy.

The rest of their argument is pure opinion... I know quite a few people that have owned Cadillacs and say they are the worst piles of crap built... I also know some owners who had great luck with even some of Cadillac's worst models. (500k kms out of a 1st gen STS with minimal maintenance/repair and other stories like that).

#20 ·
Displacement has nothing to do with CAFE, and the C in CAFE stands for corporate. A handful of turbocharged Cadillacs is a drop in the bucket of GM as a whole.

The Germans are trending this way, for CAFE as well as selling perk of better window sticker mileage. GM is just playing along.

#25 ·
This won't go in the Corvette - that's V8 only. It will probably see some action in the entire Cadillac line, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it in a version of the Camaro, the next SS, and the rumored RWD Buick.

#36 ·
I have not experienced this at all. I doubt anyone could tell that my ecoboost Escape is turbocharged, there is no lag and excellent throttle response. Ford also muffled any turbo noises too.

The biggest difference is that because of the small turbo used torque peaks pretty low, and then chokes close to redline. This creates a flat power curve where a NA motor would make little power in low RPMs and more power the closer you got to redline.

TL;DR You don't need to rev the pi** out of them to move.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.