VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

What cars look better in the flesh than in print?

9K views 37 replies 32 participants last post by  R-Dubya 
#1 ·
While going for a jog this morning here in Chicagoland, right around mile 10 of my long journey I noticed a black Ferrari cruising on Lincoln Avenue. It just kept moving and I only got to see so much of it. I'm, sorry I couldn't grab my cell phone and shoot some quick pics. But to my surprise from the side and rear view I was impressed with the looks of it. I know it took me long enough but it was actually the first time I've seen a Ferrari California in the flesh. It was cruising with its top up too. Anyhow the reason I say this surprised me, is because all pics I've ever seen of it in print left me anything but excited about this machine. Perhaps I was just lucky to see it with its top up, because the rear end doesn't look as bloated aka fat when the top is up. And that bloated rear end has always been one of my biggest problems when it comes to the looks of the California.

#2 ·
Tesla Roadster. Everytime I see one on the highway it just looks exotic, much better than the similarly proportioned Elise. The size and angle when you see it compared to all the other cars on the road just makes it look great. Then I do a search on images of the car, and I can't find one that does it justice.

#4 ·
The 458 Italia (not the spyder, just the regular italia). It looks good on a monitor, I was never really that crazy about it. I honestly didn't like it at first, then it started to grow on me. Then when I was in Prague I saw one in the flesh and it was just extremely striking.

#5 ·
I can't remember seeing a 458 Italia in the flesh yet. Although even though it's been on the roads longer, I see Gallardo's all over the place (no they're not an everyday sight but pop up more than any Lambo I can remember).

One other car that I believe looks better in the flesh, when I first spotted it was the Audi S5.

#11 ·
This

#13 ·
Mercedes SLR

I absolutely thought the nose was too long and the body too flat from all the pics (and I LOOOOOOOVE long nose/short rear cars). One day I spent some quality time with one, and it is not an easily photographed car for sure. It's truly beautiful in person, especially the fenders & tails.

I'll never forget those two days of basking in it's presence. Love live the almight SLR :thumbup::)

Kei

#14 ·
Just about everything, except the sad unfortunates that will never, ever look good. Seriously, any car in the flesh looks better than in print. You simply cannot see the volumes, the proportions and the details from a photograph or even a series. Many is the time that I have seen an image of a car and thought "Yeah, that is not so good. No sir, not good at all" only to have stumbled across it live and realized my mistake.
At this point, I don't even pretend to judge from still images. I can't do it. Maybe somebody can, but definitely not me.

#20 ·
300ZX Italia Tourer edition. In print/online, the pixels and jagged edges really kill the sleek lines of the car and a positive impression of it. In the flesh, it's just the exposure to copious amounts of chemicals and exposed fiberglass that will kill you.

:laugh:

#26 ·
.... NO, Seriously!!!

Seriously!

those three come to mind lately and get a lot of flack for being hideous but in my eye, they dont look so bad in print either. The panamera impressed me when i saw my first one at a local porsche dealership. i think it was black gts with white interior. not beige but real bright ass white leather interior. the veyron... that little car has so much presence its ridiculous. its a lot smaller than one would think by just looking at the pics alone. the gtr ive never really thought to be ugly in the first place but it seems that everyone else does.

#35 ·
Add another vote for the Panamera.:wave:

#38 · (Edited)
My vote would go to the BMW M6. Not to say they look bad in pictures, but I saw a black one scoot by me on the highway a couple months ago and it looked crazy good. Bangle butt was a non-issue unlike many on here would have you believe, and it is just such a low-slung, aggressive looking car. I didn't even recognize it at first.

Honorable mentions to the FRS/BRZ and R35 GTR.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.