VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Intel Report: New S3 and RS 3 + Potential for America... Worthy Successor to B5?

30K views 44 replies 29 participants last post by  Raring 2 Go 
#1 ·

Yesterday our first Intel Report on the A3 touched on Audi of America's current thinking in regards to the A3 Sportback and the proposed scenario by Audi's American management that the Sportback come over as an alternative fuel only drivetrain. Efficiency is important to Audi and this scenario would help use a different body style to help make more of a point. Fortunately for driving enthusiasts, performance is also important to Audi and today's report focuses more on the company's vaunted S and RS models.

During our conversation in Geneva, Audi of America boss Johan de Nysschen wouldn't outright confirm the S3 and RS 3 for America, but he did reveal that he and his product management team are in favor of both models and actively working on both projects. And though he didn't say it outright, the focus here is the sedan.

Full Story

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Oh man. This is pure awesome. I just bought a TT RS to get my hands on the sexy 2.5 5-Cyl turbo, but in my heart I really wanted the RS3 hatch in the USA.

This sedan is SUPER hot, but I would much rather have a hatch or the sportback from yesterday's report (if I can't get a hatch).

Now I just have to figure out how in the heck I'll convince my wife that we need another car in a few years. It's not going to be easy... The TTRS was definitely tough.

Honestly this is a great car. Hopefully it comes in around the 49k mark offering something WAY better than a subaru or a mitsubishi around that price point. Honestly the hot AWD car segment is underserved in my opinion.

But if I had to guess at prices:
A3 Sedan: ~35k
S3: ~49k
RS3: ~55k

Ideally the prices would be
S3: 45k (Steal subaru/mitsu sales)
RS3: 49k

Also in case Mr. de Nysschen is reading, I'll gladly take one. #WantAnRS3

EDIT: ALSO PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE offer DSG and 6-speed manual for S3/RS3 :thumbup:

#7 ·
Love the RS3 models, see them quite a bit running around town here in Stuttgart. I can't wait to order either A/S/RS3 model when I move back to the U.S. in about 2 more years:)

#13 ·
the article suggest that Audi would use a hotted version of the 2.0T at around 260 HP. Audi really needs to step up the game in the engine bay. Paying extra for an S3 so that it can keep up with the basest engine available in the BMW 1/3 series is not a good marketing ploy. A proper S3 should be pushing around 280-300 HP to raise eyebrows.

#14 ·
The intel we have at this point is obviously early and hopefully subject to change. We're always hoping for more power. The 3 series may not be the best comparison because it's a much bigger car, but your argument about the 1-series makes a good point. The 135 should be a target for S3.

#17 ·
If it ends up costing the roughly the same as a 3 series than it would be a direct competitor for me. I also don't consider the 1 series because it is 2 door with limited space. Won't the S3 be considerable bigger than the 1 series, at least between the 1 and 3 series? Is it even possible to carry 4 normally sized people in the 2 door 1 series for more than a short trip?

#19 · (Edited)
Not quite worthy successor...here in North America anyway.

Coming from the B5 S4, it was the greatest car I ever owned...PERIOD. Not for what Audi had provided me, but for what I was able to mold it into.

The only thing that will raise my eyebrow as a worthy successor is this and only this...

S3 2.5 TFSI - detuned or smaller turbos, whatever you want to accomplish this...250-300 hp the potential is a REQUIREMENT

RS3 2.5 TFSI - 350-400hp - you are calling me crazy I know, but that's what BMW said when Audi answered their M3 with a S4 producing the same power, then said :wave: and created this work of art

#20 ·
Not quite worthy successor...here in North America anyway.

Coming from the B5 S4, it was the greatest car I ever owned...PERIOD. Not for what Audi had provided me, but for what I was able to mold it into.

The only thing that will raise my eyebrow as a worthy successor is this and only this...

S3 2.5 TFSI - detuned or smaller turbos, whatever you want to accomplish this...250-300 hp the potential is a REQUIREMENT

RS3 2.5 TFSI - 350-400hp - you are calling me crazy I know, but that's what BMW said when Audi answered their M3 with a S4 producing the same power, then said :wave: and created this work of art
QFT!:thumbup:

#22 · (Edited)
an RS3 render

I totally agree. the B5 A4 is the spiritual template for this car. Dear Audi, please make an RS3 as similar to the concept car as possible.... ok maybe a little more power, It is an RS :)

Here are two photo-edits i did at lunch using the A3 concept from Geneva, and the new RS Q3 from Beijing. If it looks like this, I'll take mine in Sepang Blue with the Titanium Package

First would be a "base" RS
http://www.flickr.com/photos/72211519@N06/7092319377/in/photostream/lightbox/

Second would be an RS3 Plus with Ti Package. I made the sideblades on the lower rocker panel grey/Carbon Fiber as well to mimic the Matte lowers of a B5 A4.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/72211519@N06/7092319485/in/photostream/lightbox/

#27 ·
The S4 is $47k so there needs to be a decent-sized cost delta between them and while they can make the S4 more expensive, I think they'll sell more by keeping it the same price and making the S3 closer to $40k. That'll follow their philosophy of wanting to really boost up sales. It's like when Subway went to their $5 footlong subs...they lost a buck or two but made that up in sheer volume.

The RS3 can then be $50k. :thumbup:

#28 · (Edited)
Dont know how true

Hey guys, dont know how much weight this hold, but being over here in Germany and being a service member they offer car sales for us on Audi, VW, Toyota, BMW, Porsche, etc. You get the drift, either way; I requested a quote from Auto Exchange (military car sales who specializes in sales for Audi, VW) for a 2013 A3 and was passed on this information when I replied to the original quote in regards to the 2013 model. Seeing that orders placed with them are custom factory built cars and not cars already built sitting on the lot and working directly with the factory I figured it might hold some weight.

On the American side of things, what we’ve been told is that the A3 model year for 2013 will be a short one. This makes sense as we’ve all heard that the A3 sedan will be rolled out in late 2012.

In terms of the hatchback (Sportback) I’ve been hearing that maybe an S3 might be released alongside the sedan, but I’ve heard nothing definitive.

Unfortunately, until Audi release official specs.

Things can change in the course of a year, but at this stage it does look unlikely that there will be an A3 hatchback available in 2014

#30 ·
I dont think Audi will ever be able to build a worthy Successor to the B5. The B5 chassis is still the best "modern" chassis Audi has ever built. It was a mix of old school german (1996 A4's used Audi B3 door handles) and new technology in the form of much beefier suspension.

If the S3 does come with a 2.5 TFSI I will probably be in line for one (regardless of price) but I really want them to put this motor into something longitudinal.

#35 ·
Ok, sign me up!

Not too hopeful... Lately Audi has been too heavy and too expensive... I've got a B5 and a B6, and they are getting long in the tooth.. Come on Audi, make something I want to buy and can afford! Even a detuned 2.5 would be fine - I can always pump it up like my B6 :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.