VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

How to Remove 03 Jetta Hazard Switch?

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  jcarncross 
#1 ·
So I too have been aflicted with the clicking relay, I want to try to replace the relay before anything else, but im not sure how best to get the switch out without shredding the dash. Does anyone have relay/switch pics or good steps of how to remove.
Thanks!

#3 ·
Re: How to Remove 03 Jetta Hazard Switch? (tdurden55)

i put it a new hazard switch it did not fix the problem.
removing hazard sw:
-take out radio and cup holder tray. push out switch from inside.
-or-
-pry switch from front, the button popped out on mine. grasp switch body with pliers and pull out. re-attach button on switch body.

#5 ·
Re: How to Remove 03 Jetta Hazard Switch? (tdurden55)

I had the same problem for about 4 years. I got sick of hearing it and decided to see if I could fix it.
I took off the stearing wheel and opened the turn signal switch box.
My issue was that a greasy, waxy substance had collected inside the switch box. I don't know if this was intended as a lubricant for the switch, but what had happened was the following:
The lubricant had collected copper dust due to friction from the regular operation of the switch. The motion of the switch had piled the **** up between the contacts which subsequently caused a small electrical bridge. Depending on temperature, the **** would expand or contract which, I am guessing, aligned the molecules of copper into an electrical connection. The connection did not pass enough electricity to light the bulbs, just trip the relay.
I cleaned the contacts in the switch box with q-tips and rubbing alcohol, re-assembled the box, and stearing wheel. I haven't had the problem since.
The hardest part of this process was removing the horn/airbag module. THere is a spring catch on each side of the steering wheel that has to be released with a screwdriver via two small holes in the back of the stearing wheel.
I would suggest a 3rd party Chiltons style book for good instructions on how to take the stearing wheel off.
The switch box was difficult to take apart because of all of the catch-latch style tabs that hold the lid on. Several jewlers screwdrivers and some patience seemed to do the trick.
Hope this helps
Jason

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.