VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Vintage photos....Awesome!

4M views 13K replies 603 participants last post by  gprace 
#1 ·
Vintage pics? Anyone? The more I see the more I get into the photos.

Feed me.

I'll kick this snowball rolling....

See less See more
#12,415 ·
View attachment 194524

If its a repost, my bad 🤣
Same dude, same car, different cop and different woman. In the original (which was a cover of Hot VWs) his wife was stuck in traffic and couldn't get to the photo shoot, so they used a stand-in. In the new one his wife took the shot.

Back then there was a headlight height law in California and it was raised in order for the VW to be able to be sold there. The upshot is that if you lowered your car at all it was under the limit, and there was at least some police harassment about it, hence the photo.

New cop needs some '70s sideburns. :)

Around here the headlights would never have been a problem, but the lack of bumpers might (I don't think T bars were ever legal here), whether then or now.

#12,413 ·
View attachment 194424

Sanucci Volkswagen
6930 Reseda Boulevard,
Reseda CA

Love coming across a crisp vintage snapshot.

Unknown date.

Zoom in to identify...

View attachment 194430

...appears to be an Iso Rivolta.
I'm relatively sure that 6930 is the wrong address. The intersection immediately looked familiar to me, but the address took me a block south. It's actually exactly where I thought it was, and the address is (now at least) 6955.

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Motor vehicle White

#12,414 ·
Per this thing, it was 6957.

#12,419 ·
Cloud Automotive lighting Lighting Building Entertainment

Photograph White Hood Black Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

“The modern Mobil station drew cruisers,” Rick says. “The attendants were mostly lovely young women wearing shorts, no doubt personally selected by the station’s owner.” The circular discs, reminiscent of flying saucers, provided lighting.

:
:

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Car Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

Rick came back to the Boulevard in the early ’70s, but this time returning to his role as a spectator—albeit one with a camera. As a hobby, he had developed skills as a photographer. He would go out on Wednesdays, known as “cruisin’ night,” with his old-fashioned 35mm camera. He shot candid images with ASA 400 black-and-white film, getting particularly immersed over a 12-week period in 1972. “I had a hunch I could do that as well or better than most, using the axiom ‘shoot what you know.’”

Rick used a wide-angle lens for most of the photos. “This gives a depth of field at slower speeds, bringing more things into focus.” It also expands the stage, making things look larger and more spacious than they were. “When you see the places that still remain, it’s surprising how constricted they appear,” Rick adds.

#12,444 ·
Yep,
it's a Bentley.

(pics & info found on FB)

Jan 5th, 2020

Richard Anderson's 1958 Bentley S1 Continental Flying Spur by HJ Mulliner.

Anderson is probably best remembered for playing the character of Oscar Goldman on "The Six Million Dollar Man"---and later on "The Bionic Woman." Anderson was inspired as a young man to get a Bentley after seeing Gary Cooper drive by in a Bentley, and spent years searching for the right one.

Anderson began his career as a contract player for MGM in 1950. Cary Grant, his mentor and close friend, helped Anderson secure his contract. In the 1950s, Anderson appeared in close to 50 films. One of his most notable ones being "The Long, Hot Summer" in 1958. In the late 1950s, Anderson began appearing regularly on television and would appear on more than 100 series throughout his career. In 1974, he landed the role of Oscar Goldman. It was while working on "The Six Million Dollar Man" that Anderson found his Bentley. A year later, "The Bionic Woman" would come out, and Anderson would be the first actor to have a lead role simultaneously on two shows--with each being on separate networks. After both shows ended in 1978, Anderson would work steadily into the 1990s.

Anderson kept his Bentley at his house in Beverly Hills until his death in 2017 at the age of 91. His Bentley was a regular fixture in the Beverly Hills area, with Anderson often taking it to special events, and dinners out. In his later years, he was a regular fixture at The Beverly Hills Hotel--often sitting in one of the distinctive front booths at The Polo Lounge--and always impeccably dressed. Reminiscent somewhat of Cary Grant. His 1958 Bentley was offered at auction earlier this year through Bonhams in Carmel. It appears to us that it didn't hit reserve. Their sale estimate was $150,000-200,000.

:

Footwear Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood

Land vehicle Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Product

Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle Tire Plant

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Land vehicle

Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Car Automotive design

#12,453 ·
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Automotive lighting

#12,463 ·
Vehicle Motor vehicle Newspaper Automotive lighting Tire

Had to look these things up because pretty wild!

Seemingly in use with various forms throughout the years?

Motor vehicle Vehicle Publication Car Vehicle door

Found some pics showing damage from 1949 when a truck explosion happened,
would have been a terrifying event.

Font Art Rectangle Pattern Parallel

Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

:

I really like the atmospheric look of this postcard...

Infrastructure Road surface Asphalt Standing Fence

A couple of entrance shots...

Vehicle Street light Automotive lighting Light Car

Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive parking light

And,
this old
joint looks like nice digs...

Publication Font Newsprint Newspaper Paper

Map Font Slope Parallel Plan

#12,410 ·
Just saw this on FB this morning.

A colorized version,
with caption:

"Babe Ruth set a record by hitting three home runs in game 4 of the 1926 World Series against the St. Louis Cardinals at Sportsman's Park.

The Second home run Ruth hit that day, Oct. 6, 1926, was hit over the right field Pavilion, out of Sportsman's Park and onto the street. The ball took one bounce and broke the showroom window of the Wells Motor Company, bounded off a Chevrolet Coup, and back onto the street. The ball kept on rolling before a boy snatched it up, and took off running with it. "

Clothing Wheel Tire Vehicle Car

#12,451 ·
Car Vehicle Tire Sky Hood

This fantastic picture shows Bill Mitchell in the 1959 Chevrolet Corvette Sting Ray racer heading east on Maple Rd. right through downtown Birmingham, he would often have three or four of GM Styling's latest concepts delivered to his house every Friday during the summer so he could drive them all weekend.

I had the opportunity - and privilege - of riding with him in every GM concept car from the late 50s and early 60s, including the Corvette XP-700; Corvette Mako Shark I and II; Corvair Sebring Spyder; Pontiac XP-400; Corvair Monza SS and GT and, of course, the sensational '59 Corvette Sting Ray racer, which remains my all-time favorite car.

Judging by the way Mitchell is dressed, I would bet he's heading to GM Styling in Warren, Michigan, on Monday morning. (He would often drive one of the cars he had delivered to his house on Friday back to work the following Monday morning.) I have often said that it was a different time and a different era, never to be repeated. This snapshot captures that perfectly

#12,460 ·
View attachment 232192

This fantastic picture shows Bill Mitchell in the 1959 Chevrolet Corvette Sting Ray racer heading east on Maple Rd. right through downtown Birmingham, he would often have three or four of GM Styling's latest concepts delivered to his house every Friday during the summer so he could drive them all weekend.

I had the opportunity - and privilege - of riding with him in every GM concept car from the late 50s and early 60s, including the Corvette XP-700; Corvette Mako Shark I and II; Corvair Sebring Spyder; Pontiac XP-400; Corvair Monza SS and GT and, of course, the sensational '59 Corvette Sting Ray racer, which remains my all-time favorite car.

Judging by the way Mitchell is dressed, I would bet he's heading to GM Styling in Warren, Michigan, on Monday morning. (He would often drive one of the cars he had delivered to his house on Friday back to work the following Monday morning.) I have often said that it was a different time and a different era, never to be repeated. This snapshot captures that perfectly
Fast 7, or whatever that Paul Walker/Vin Diesel firestorm was called.

#12,464 ·
Stiggy-Pug:"I really like the atmospheric look of this postcard..."

Cool look for sure. And....

I can only assume the atmosphere in pre-emisssions tunnels was very dense with hydrocarbons

#12,465 ·
Yeah, had to be crazy thick.

Been watching lots of old Emergency! shows lately...

Cap Headgear Personal protective equipment Font Baseball cap

...and was floored by how dense the smog in L.A. was back then when it is highlighted in certain scenes, when I first noticed it was like wow it's really foggy but then remembered that it was actually smog.

Car Automotive parking light Vehicle Photograph Motor vehicle

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Photograph Automotive parking light

#12,475 ·
Peter Gregg piloting the #68 Datsun 510 at Trans-Am Mid-Ohio Two Five Challenge in 1972.

Not exactly a great racing photo, but something about the composition just clicks for me, how the boy in a yellow shirt is sitting alone atop that post log stump and holding a blue balloon as the racecars quickly go by, just grabs me in the guts as a nice slice of pure Americana.

Sky Plant Tree Flash photography Grass

#12,489 ·
Love seeing the car show stuff,
wish I could find a bigger version of this because it's just such an awesome shot all around...

Boat Vehicle Motor vehicle Black-and-white Watercraft

...also,
the associated posters are often pretty sweet as well:

Automotive lighting Wheel Hood Automotive tire Bicycle tire

And,
like those snapshots from moments in time when the public is like whoah!,
SM did such:

Photograph Vehicle Motor vehicle Car White

And,
of course all the crazy concepts,
here's a Toyota RV-2 from 1973 at an Amsterdam show:

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

Plus,
all the elaborate displays too,
here's several from Amsterdam 1958:

Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Aviation Hood

Vehicle Car Tire Motor vehicle Hood

Amsterdam 1960 with the full cutaway Mini!

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Back to Paris in 1926,
this thing looks like a wild hot rod!

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

#12,400 ·
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Man drifting northwest at approximately 68 mph on U.S. Route 101 somewhere near Camarillo, California, one evening in 1989

:

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Man Traveling southbound at 67 mph on U.S. Route 101 near Montecito, California, at 6:31 p.m. on or around Sunday, August 1994

:

Andrew Bush has an incredible series of photos that are really fascinating.

Here's 66 of them:

This book has more:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle

Font Art Circle Magenta Number

An interesting interview:

Car Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Tire

Man heading northwest on Pacific Coast Highway, in Malibu, California 2011

#12,404 ·
Andrew Bush has an incredible series of photos that are really fascinating.

Here's 66 of them:
So many of these are excellent. Strange to think that these people have no idea these photos of a random moment in their lives decades ago exist online.

I really like these, there's something almost movie-esque about them.

Wonder what ended up happening to this Citroen...

Reactions: stiggy-pug