VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

BMW i8 $100k "Market Adjustment"

28K views 64 replies 43 participants last post by  arethirdytwo 
#1 ·
Its a beautiful car in person. Someone wanted it real bad and was sold for $247K before taxes and fees.

See less See more
#23 ·
Actually, it's very hard to find a rich fool. This car is worth it as of now for the fact that it's exclusive. Ten years down the line, they will be a dime a dozen and depreciate like the charge on it's batteries. But if i had the money, i drive the hell out of one just for the gawks.

#9 ·
I predict the government will probably do something about it soon. It has indeed gone way out of hand. $5k for an STi? Eh, I guess. $100k for ANYTHING? Calm the (asterisk-asterisk-asterisk-asterisk) down!!

#21 · (Edited)
Honestly... if I wanted my rich man's eco-friendly fix, I would just buy a Tesla before an i8. Tesla is checking all the boxes in terms of building up an electric vehicle infrastructure, keeping the car's software flexible and upgradeable, and covering anything and everything with their cars because they want the company to take off. The Model S P85D is a dual electric motor AWD with nearly 700 combined HP, a range of 253 miles, and an acceleration (for it being massively heavy) of 3.2 seconds :eek: and it's $98,170 (according to their website :rolleyes:) after the $7500 federal tax credit.

Am I making a bad comparison here? I'm not even sure what category the i8 is. Sporty, luxurious hybrid coupe? :confused: Definitely a beautiful car and might be something I'd consider if I was throwing money at the wind.

#29 ·
Well, one is a sedan and looks like a sedan. The other is a sports coupe with ****ing awesome doors. So yeah, kind of.
FWIW, I was just checking out these stats on Car and Driver (http://www.caranddriver.com/bmw/i8) and if you scroll down they put it as a "Luxury Hybrid and Electric Vehicle" which has all of three vehicles in it :lol: You should check out the underlying engineering of the Tesla, it's more impressive than a "boring sedan." But to each their own :)

Anyway... they were only a 1/4 way to a Porsche 918 Spyder (http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/918/918-spyder/) It's a hybrid and a convertible :thumbup:

Is that a better comparison?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.