VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Toyota bashing thread

12K views 129 replies 79 participants last post by  Surf Green 
#1 ·
I have a fee beefs with Toyota/Toyota drivers...

1. The "Toyota dent." A huge indentation in the corner of the car's rear bumper caused by the driver not knowing how to back up. This ONLY happens with Toyotas, generally Camry/Corolla/ES300. It's uncanny.

2. Tundra/Tacoma/4Runner drivers driving with their parking lights on. This is how you know the driver is a dbag, because they are so resistant to conformity that they do something that makes no sense, just to show that they have free will. This happens with other makes too, but I see it most with Toyota.

3. The Rav4's brakes feel horribly underpowered. I'm sure they're fine in a panic stop, but in normal driving they require too much pressure to stop the vehicle normally. It's as if they had a focus group where their target demo told them they dislike "grabby" brakrs.

4. Sulfury smell emits from the A/C in like 5 Toyota models when leaves get in the A/C.

5. Bad interiors that TCL never disses for some reason.

#89 ·
My family has had a V6 Camry for 15 years.

We bought it when it was new. Besides oil change, a timing belt change at 70k miles (didn't break, just did it just to be safe), and other regular maintenance, NOTHING has ever broken.

Toyota haters can all go f*** themselves. :wave:

#95 ·
My wife's 2010 Camry just hit 60K miles and has essentially been perfect (knock on wood). No unscheduled visits to the dealer, no CELs, not even a TPMS light.

However, I hate the oil filter on our Camry. It is a cartridge style filter, but it's mounted from under the engine. The filter also requires a special tool to get it off. Adds 10 minutes to oil change.

Also, Toyota lists the torque specs for the filter to be 25 ft lbs, but it feels like the filter will fall off at that torque. Had to do at least 50 ft lbs. Supposedly, Yoda techs will torque it down to like 75 ft lbs.

My Hyundai uses a typical metal oil filter that spins on - easy. My old car (Cavalier) used a cartridge filter, but it was accessible from the top - easy and clean! Wish all cars were like that.

#105 ·
I can't bash Toyota reliability. My Father bought an Echo brand new back in 2003 and it's been passed around the family to this day, and hasn't been stopped for a day, to this day. After 10 years (soon) and 150,000 miles, it's still being used. Other than maintenance, this car has been great. I've used it on road trips, getting around, going to cottages, and same for my brothers and sister...and they drive hard too. I can only imagine how much better a higher end Toyota is.

:thumbup::thumbup: to Toyota in my books.

#107 ·
FV-QR

i am the proud owner of a 1996 Toyota Corolla Base that I picked up about 3-4 months ago. with $800 in work and another $300 for tires. she will last me another 100,000 miles. You can bash all you want the truth of the matter is that these cars are so basic and minimalist that there is very little that can go wrong.

I love my corolla.

#111 ·
I dislike their ads.

The Highlander brat. The goofy hipsters playing "Life". Don't get me started on rims and sleekness to the body.

Toyota is kind of like the Black Eyed Peas. The majority of their product line is cars for people who don't like cars.

#120 ·
Yes it is. The dash lights are on, so the drivers have no earthly idea that their entire tail section is dark.
I don't think this idiocy is limited only to Toyotas/Lexii, although they seem to be the most prevalent.

Of all the regulations we have regarding cars and lights, why this is even legal boggles the mind.

#126 ·
Only by choice = $$$ Because when they want to........
Pretty much. I wasn't saying they've never appealed to enthusiasts. What I was getting at is that the majority of their customer base wants a reliable, safe car at a reasonable price. They have produced sporty models here and there. Their regular lineup also has a dedicated enthusiast fan base, in a sense. I know there are Corolla tuners out there.

Hell, VW is the same way. Volkswagen literally translates into "people's car". Not "hellaflush mad tyte 1.8T car". My daily is a bland piece of wagon that happens to be a little more fun because it has a manual transmission.

How is this Corolla any different from this Jetta?

The only people who will spot differences are enthusiasts. Anyone else will see a white import lowered on mesh wheels.

At the end of the day, I think most manufacturers strive for the kind of success that comes from a diverse but practical product line. Toyota just happens to excel at it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.