VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

2013 Porsche Boxster Completely Undisguised

87K views 445 replies 144 participants last post by  8v_gti777 
#1 · (Edited)
The redesigned 2013 Porsche Boxster and Boxster S go on sale in U.S. in mid-summer, with new sheet metal and more powerful engines. Stickers in the U.S. will start at $50,450 for the Boxster and $61,850 for the Boxster S. Prices include a $950 shipping charge.

Porsche said the third-generation models will be powered by direct-injection flat-6 engines that can be coupled with either a standard six-speed manual gearbox or the PDK seven-speed double-clutch gearbox.

The standard 2013 Boxster gets a 2.7-liter flat-6 to replace the previous 2.9-liter unit, with output rising from 255 to 261 horsepower. Output on the 3.4-liter six in the Boxster S is nudged slightly from 310 to 311 hp. Porsche says the standard Boxster will accelerate from 0-60 in 5.4 seconds, while the Boxster S will perform the same function in 4.7 seconds. The optional Sport Chrono package provides even better performance and driving dynamics.

A start-stop system and other tweaks also mean the engines will deliver up to 15 percent better fuel economy.

The 2013 Boxster gets new sheet metal, a new power-operated top that stows neatly behind the seats and a revised cockpit with more space for driver and passenger.

The chassis has been redesigned, and the car features lower weight, a longer wheelbase, wider track and larger wheels, as well as a new electromechanical power steering system.

See less See more
#2 ·
That door handle is horrible. I wish they would've used a flap-style integrated into the crease.

#7 ·
I like this Boxster. Ive never been a fan, so this surprises me.
The design has matured I think.
The headlights are a bit squarer, the spoiler at the rear looks good, interior is good.
Good job overall I think.

#11 ·
am I the only one who at first glance thought "F430" for the first pic?

don't like the colour, door handles as mentioned by others are silly, and I also don't like the plastic bottom section of the side view mirrors...

now lets see some cayman renderings :beer:

#14 ·
I like it. I am happy with my car but I would be even happier with this 2012 version.

obin :thumbup::thumbup:

#18 ·
I'm surprised people are complaining about the door handles but not the production cost savings of that line running through the rear fender behind the door handle. Making that rear section two pieces instead of one is not something done on either the 986 or 987 and to me shows a little bit of cheapness on Porsche's part.

#20 ·
FV-QR

Honest question here - did Porsche ever fix the Boxster engine seizure problem, and if so, during what model year? I looked at a Boxster S last month when my wife and I were shopping for a new car but got a little worried when he mentioned it had a newly replaced (used) engine. The car only had something like 45,000 miles on it and was already on its second engine. I read up and found that it's seemingly rare for any Boxster to go over 100K miles without engine failure, and some failing under 50K like the one I looked at. I dearly love everything I know about the Boxster except for the possibility of a $15,000 engine failure every 50K miles.

#99 ·
#28 ·
According to Auto Motor und Sport, Porsche is going to have a 981 microsite up this week. Seems we'll be able to build one very soon.

I'm a bit surprised that they're reporting the base Boxster is only going to make 10hp more than the current one. Here's hoping other mechanical improvements make this more than just a new face.

#32 ·
Though the horsepower goes up by 10 I'm wondering if the other improvements are in emissions, fuel economy, and other engineering tweaks.

obin :beer::beer:

#39 ·
The front end is much better than the previous ones, very 911 like.
The front end has never been LESS 911.

986 to 996 they were the same.

987 to 997 they were both very close

981 to 991 one has square edged headlights while the others are oval.

This is the least 911 looking Boxster front end ever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.