VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

AutoExtremist.com: VW GTI "the best all-around enthusiast vehicle today. Period."

41K views 352 replies 76 participants last post by  GaTeIg 
#1 ·
Peter Delorenzo, Editor of AutoExtremist.com, chimes in on the new VW GTI:
http://www.autoextremist.com/on-the-table1/

Our "quick take" this week covers two vehicles, the VW GTI, and the Hyundai Sonata SE. I raved about the VW Golf TDI with its double-clutch tiptronic 6-speed automatic a few weeks ago, and I expected the GTI to be even better. A lot better. I wasn't disappointed.

For my money the GTI is the most seductive combination of performance, fun-to-drive and overall operating efficiency in the market. Throw in its daily usability and versatility and it just may be the best all-around enthusiast vehicle available today. Period. Oh, and did I mention that it's fun to drive? You can trundle along in "D" dealing with the daily absurdities of urban commuting and errand running, and the GTI just does fine as a (relatively) low-profile conveyance. (Just don't check "Tornado Red" on the order form, trust me. It's much too loud for repeat offenders.) Or, you can slip the 6-speed tiptronic into "S" and hammer this little rocket like there's no tomorrow, and it flat gets it. Shockingly so, even. (VW engineers have the 2.0-liter turbocharged, 200HP, direct-injected 4-cylinder dialed-in to the point that it's damn near perfect in all driving situations, and that's saying something.)

Add in the excellent fit and finish and high quality materials in the interior - including a perfectly-executed multifunction steering wheel with just the right thickness - and you have a tremendously satisfying enthusiast package that is almost impossible to beat. As you may have guessed by now, I just can't say enough about the VW GTI. Memo to the boys and girls in Dearborn: The high-performance version of the new Focus - whenever it may get here (I'm guessing 18 months from now, minimum) - had best be dramatically better than the next GTI. Anything less and you will come up very, very short. - PMD

See less See more
#43 ·
I claim it was the best DRIVING vehicle in the segment, and that any decision not to get it would have to have been for reasons other than to get the best driving experience and performance available. I wouldn't say the CSS is the best "all around" enthusiast vehicle though (to me, that honour goes to the MS3).

Now waiting for Patrikman to misconstrue what I said, again.
mazda 3 is an enthusiast vehicle?

it comes from a long line of.. uh.. cult classic... 626s..?;)

#7 ·
Yeah but taking all things into consideration, how far off is he (artical writer) though. Besides reliability the A2 was the funest :) car to drive I've ever owned, I only suspect that the latest generations remain a blast to drive if not moreso.
To claim best in its class, well.....

#10 ·
as an owner of a VW GTI and as much as I love my car, *BUZZ* wrong. I mean its a great vehicle but in my mind the nominees of best over all Enthusiast Vehicle under 50k are:

BMW 335IX
Audi S4
Subaru WRX (non STI)
Mazda MX-5
Nissan 370Z Nismo (despite the breaking snafu)

I cant pick a clear winnar but this is my opinion.

#11 ·
Yeah, the Ford Mustang GT w/ Track Pack for $33k is probably my pick.

Nice interior, amazing engine, respectable MPG, massive dealer network + aftermarket, all-around performance monster, all for the cost of a freaking 2008 Luxury GT. Sign me up.

#22 · (Edited)
He said it was best for his money, which is what, 23k? :)

Otherwise, he sounds like he never drove actual performance cars if the GTI got him so excited. I almost ended up with the GTi a few weeks ago after test driving a few of them. It's a fine sporty FWD hatch, but it never really made me go "holly ****" or raised the hairs on my back - not even close.

#23 ·
I think you could do better than a stripper Mustang GT, quite honestly. This from somebody with seat time in a 2011 GT + Brembos and 3.73s and no other options. Spartan doesn't begin to describe it.

That said, the hot hatch class as a whole is trending away from its value proposition. The Speed3 is undercontented and the GTI is slowly being priced out of the sport compact segment that is largely going on a second generation of being able to outpace it.

#26 ·
I don't think I would feel that bummed with a stripper Mustang GT. The only cars I've had were a 2001 3rd Gear Chirper, 2005 GTI, and 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The most advanced feature any of my cars has had would be side airbags. Hell, I haven't even had a car with MP3 integration.

I'm inclined to agree that the hot hatch segment is a wee bit overpriced. I wonder if the hot hatches will migrate down to the subcompact cars in the near future. Heck, with the Aveo RS and a potential Fiesta SVT, I think we're already creeping in that direction.

#30 ·
#34 ·
This is really nothing new. Most auto pubs have been saying the same thing or similar ever since the mkV has been available. It is the standard for which all other sport compacts are judged. I think people are forgetting the term "all-around" when they are being arguementative. Someone listed a bunch of enthusiast cars including the Miata and the Z. Those cars are not nearly as good for a daily driven device in the real world, for most people, than the GTI. No one is saying that the Z has scorchingly better performance, but that;s only one dimension. And the Miata? Seriously? That's even less practical than the Z and it's slower than the GTI. The only category where the miata handily outshines the GTI is feel. But feel doesn't help when you have more than one other person to take with you or you have a load of stuff to carry. You know, when you have a life that doesn't just involve yourself and your car.

I did own a mkV GTI and it was a fantastic car. But I don't have much of a life outside of myself and my car. So a 2 seater would make great sense for me---and that's what I have after getting rid of the GTI. If I felt comfortable spending more money than I did on my current car, I would have very happily gotten a Z after the GTI. But I can tell you that in poor weather and on the very rare occassion that I have stuff/people to haul, the GTI with decent A/S tires was a better car than my current rwd 2-seater with A/S tires.

#35 ·
I guess my whole problem with this "well-rounded" nonsense is that an enthusiast vehicle, by definition, is not well-rounded. By buying an enthusiast vehicle, you're giving up, in some way or another, other attributes that may be deemed desirable in other vehicles... so the idea that one is "more well rounded" is just silly.

#38 ·
I absolutely love my mkv GTi... best car I've ever owned. For a small car, it has a lot going for it. Hauling capacity, interior size and style, handling, efficiency, tunable, external styling, manual trans, 2 or 4 doors, and it's just so fun to drive! It's not all about HP numbers... it's about power to weight...

#39 ·
It's not all about HP numbers... it's about power to weight...
Uhm... the GTI doesn't exactly win any power-to-weight contests in its segment either, so... I'm not sure what you mean here.

#47 ·
Well, duh. Everyone knows that it's the best all around package you can buy today. It's very much like saying that the sky is blue.

#51 ·
Not to get too off-topic, but just in case anyone thinks the Mazdaspeed Protege vs. ITR comments are at all out of line...

http://www.edmunds.com/mazda/mazdaspeedprotege/2003/review.html
Favorite Features

If you are >6'0 tall, you will fit well in this car. The communication between chassis, steering system and suspension is flawless; truly par with that of the DC2 Honda Integra Type-R. Interior layout is proper, the short-shift unit providing rubbery- crisp shifts. Pedals placed well for heel-toe.
http://www.modified.com/features/0210scc_2003_mazdaspeed_protege/index.html
Because of the Mazda's massive grip, mild manners and performance potential from its turbocharged engine, this car is our new benchmark for production car front-drive performance. That's right, it has knocked the old Acura Integra Type R off the mountain.
So... yes... the Mazdaspeed3 has *some* legacy, though not as much as the GTI... but I don't see what that has anything to do with it being an "enthusiast vehicle" or not. Then again, old water-cooled VW's with rusted hoods and ridiculous suspensions (if there's a one-word term for these, I'd love to hear it), lowriders, and donks/boxes/bubbles are all "enthusiast" vehicles, and I can't say I'd care to own any of those myself, so... :p

#53 ·
I would normally set into another Lumis_Wolfy ownage, but as usual, he's taking care of that all by himself. LOL @ the MS3 not being an enthusiast car, @ a stock CRX out-handling an ITR (or at comparing modded to stock), and @ Lumis' utter lack of knowledge about any and all non-VWs while constantly talking down to others with that knowledge.

#65 · (Edited)
I didn't it was the base- but that's the price of the GTI that Autoextremist is driving.
Does anybody really think a $28k GTI is a good value?

And no - I am not saying the GTI is a bad car.
I just question Autoextremist's point of view.
VWs tend to get media praise for comfort, and that may be what Autoextremist means by " well rounded". And I don't disagree with that..... but let's not confuse "well rounded" (also known as jack of all trades, master of none) with "bast bang for the buck".

#68 ·
wait wait... this guy said that an automatic is the best all-around enthusiast vehicle today and people are defending him? I know there are manual GTIs, but he's talking about the automatic there. He should lose all TCL credibility right there.

To say that any car is the best car for all enthusiasts is just plain stupid. Within the hot-hatch class there is a spectrum. The GTI is probably the most luxurious but its also one of the slowest. If you want the germanness of the GTI then that is absolutely fine. I completely understand why someone would buy a GTI, but I think many enthusiasts have no problem with living with the less luxurious interiors (that are plenty liveable and far better then similar cars from 10 years ago) in exchange for that extra power.

#74 ·
You see refined, I see dull. And I'll have exciting because I know you won't be fooling anyone in a VW. It's the very reason why VW ended the march upmarket and why the Phaeton failed in NA. It's wearing the wrong badge. If you want to fit in with that crowd, you're much better off in a low-end BMW or Benz.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.